Thoughts on 10.5" suppressed AR in 6.8 or 223

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Which should I pick?

6.8, the power ratio is worth the weight, expense, noise
30%
.223 is better because of ammo cost and availability
61%
223 stopping power is good enough and weighs less
9%

Total votes: 23

Dan
Silent But Deadly

Thoughts on 10.5" suppressed AR in 6.8 or 223

Post by Dan »

I have been wanting to do a 11.5" .223 upper for a while but am steering twoards a 10.5" since that is what Leitner-Wise sells. Anyway they kind of stoped me with this example

"Example:
55 Grain M193 (5.56mm) from a 10.5" barrel = ~2350 Feet per second
110 Grain Rem 6.8mm SPC from a 10.5 barrel = ~2290 Feet per second"

The Bad:
It would take me reloading for a new caliber and getting my 223 can bored. It will be undoubtably louder to some degree and make ammo resupply very difficult.

The Good:
The Weapon would be more effective with a similar capacity and weapon weight.

What do you guys think?
tctlrld
Silent But Deadly

Post by tctlrld »

Ammo cost and availability is practically a moot point these days with current 5.56 ammo prices! I say go with 6.8SPC.
joho
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joho »

Are you using the weapon for work? If not, I personally would stick to a 5.56...
This space intentionally left blank...
Dan
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dan »

joho wrote:Are you using the weapon for work? If not, I personally would stick to a 5.56...
Not for work, just a defense / personal property patrol rifle.
Duke
Silent Operator

Post by Duke »

With a 11.5in Bushmaster barrel I am getting 2850fps with 27.7gr of blc-2 and a 55gr vmax bullet.
That load has room to go up, as it shows no pressure. I think the Hornady manual says 28.1 is max but I would have to check to be sure. It shoots good, about 2.5in at 200 yards is average, but it might shoot better with a real scope. Acogs are not exactly target material.
I know some on this board will tell you that the 77 grain is the only stuff to use, but it is slow, real slow. We are talking about some serious drop at 200 yards. Unless your target is big, it really limits the range of the gun.
As I actually use my SBR on the ranch daily, I shoot 200+ yards all the time and see no difference between it and a 16in.
I bet it would be easy to get a 50gr vmax up to 3000fps,I was going to try them, but I already had some 55gr that needed to be used up. I never tried any factory ammo, factory stuff never shoots very good for me.
Devil_Dawg
Silent Operator

Post by Devil_Dawg »

Dan:

If this is your 1st AR and do not have a ton of magz & ammo in 5.56, I would go with 6.8.

I have a LWRC M6A2 CQB in 5.56, and already had ammo/magz on hand.
IMO in a SBR only shoot 5.56 not .223. And for carry ammo only Mk262 Mod 1 or TAP 75gr 5.56.

Eric
Semper Fi
Wilder
Elite Member

Post by Wilder »

6.8 If you do relaod you can work up sub sonic load and with a 100 plus grain bullet you still have down range Punch. 223 would be like 60 gr aqu super sniper.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would never shoot .223.

5.56mm though is good enough and price and availability matters to me.
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

Finding true Nato-spec loadings of 5.56 has been a problem for me. When I do, it really isn't that much cheaper then 6.5 Grendel. I'm going with a 6.5 Grendel and Lapua ammunition for my PRIMARY SBR.

If you are shooting paper or pests, then a .223 works fine in 10.5 IMHO. If I am shooting something with teeth/fangs or a bad attitude, in general a threat to life, I want the added thump of a 6.8/6.5 round.

Both the 6.8SPC and 6.5Grendel have a significant performance advantage in most engagements. Yes, a 5.56 Nato round could fragment but, I want something more reliable.
joho
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joho »

Anyone ever SBR an AR-10???
That should give some serious punch...
Then I guess you might as well go with an H&K...
chromeluv
Silent But Deadly

Post by chromeluv »

Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

joho wrote:Anyone ever SBR an AR-10???
That should give some serious punch...
Then I guess you might as well go with an H&K...
What's the point? If you want a .30 caliber SBR, you could choose a superior round designed to work acceptably out of barrels in the 10 to 14 inch range. One place to look for reference is the TC Contender calibers. If they don't offer it in a 10 inch barrel, they probably have a good reason that isn't solely related to sales volume.

Secondly, do you really want a Short Barreled Rifle that weighs that much?

For .30 caliber, I think a 30HRT out of an AR-15 would be superior to a .308 flamethrower.
joho
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joho »

Point well taken.
Except for ammo availability. If you are going to handload everything - then you might as well optimize it for your specific need. If you want to be able to buy off the shelf ammo, you need something readily available.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the original discussion on this link. :oops:
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

If I was in Iraq, I could see the benefit of a rifle like the Noveske because I MUST use ammunition that is in the military supply chain.

Sure, a few contractors and secret squirrels may use 458 Socom's or some other special purpose round but, that isn't an option for most folks in harms way.
Devil_Dawg
Silent Operator

Post by Devil_Dawg »

Sid Post wrote:If I was in Iraq, I could see the benefit of a rifle like the Noveske because I MUST use ammunition that is in the military supply chain.

Sure, a few contractors and secret squirrels may use 458 Socom's or some other special purpose round but, that isn't an option for most folks in harms way.
LOL@secret squirrels good one Sid!

Speaking of supply chain, what was the most common issued 5.56 for you? M855?
Semper Fi