Thread on can: Best way to keep it from unscrewing

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Which works best at keeping a thread-on supressor from unscrewing during shooting?

Loctite
18%
Teflon Tape
50%
Other (please explain)
32%

Total votes: 22

Munk
Senior Silent Operator

Thread on can: Best way to keep it from unscrewing

Post by Munk »

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything, so if there is an existing thread, please post a link to it and then lock this one.

One of the largest causes of baffle strikes in thread-on cans is the suppressor working itself loose during shooting (or so I've heard). In the instances where a QD mount is not a possible (or wanted) option, what is the best way to help keep your can from unintentionally unscrewing itself without having to manually check over and over?

There's got to be something that works well...and I'm betting someone here knows what it is!

Thank you :)
jackson
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thread on can: Best way to keep it from unscrewing

Post by jackson »

manually check over and over.its not that hard of a problem to do so.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

Ever try a thin belville type wave washer?
Last edited by ChimeraPrecision on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm, and suppress on
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

I've read use a thin O-Ring, a couple THIN wavy washers (not split) so it doesn't effect the concentricity, or Nordlock washers.

The bad thing I've read about teflon tape is the toxic fumes that are released at the burn point of teflon.

I have 2 thread on cans. Just make sure the threads are free of lubrication and really tighten it. With my rifle, I put the stock between my feet and really snug it up.
Munk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Munk »

Those Nord-lock washers are pretty damn clever! I wonder if they make them thin enough to use for something like a suppressor (especially because you have to install them in pairs).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I

[edit]

Just found some possible nordlock options. The only question I have is if the "nominal thickness" is per washer or for the pair?

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/de ... ku=0184808
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Nordloc generally requires a wrench to take off.

Teflon tape works great on pistol cans but I don't use on my rifle cans.

Rockset or Loctite again requires a Wench.

I have used O rings - Nitrile usable to 250° F - Silicon melts 1,400 ° F - you get one that's snug
at the base of the threads and when you screw down the can it squeezes it and creates friction.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I use blue loctite, doesnt require a wrench to remove, apply once and forget about it unlike tape that you have to replace often.

I put it at the base of the threads near the shoulder so the last twist is tight so i am not fighting with it to get it unscrewed.

Never done me wrong. Nordlock washers is another story. Used them once got a baffle strike and after i bought a strap to take it off they went in the trash.

I recommend that you never use a spring to prevent unscrewing. IMhO the only place in a silencer for a spring is in the booster assy. Seen too many damaged cans because of either split wave washers or belleville washers inside.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I'm with Bendersquint on this.The other choice is left hand threads if you roll your own.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

Bender, how long do you let the blue locktite set before shooting?

Artful, where did you find silicon o-rings?

Found this link:
http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-78445.html

Couple of guys, including one that used to do a lot of work in the suppressor industry, was saying Nordlock washers were great, no problems, etc and another member bought one based off of the recommendation.

I guess it's hit or miss. If it throws off the alignment when installed, it's not going to work.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I let it set overnight so its totally cured.
Beretta Steel
Silent But Deadly

Post by Beretta Steel »

Yes blue loc tite, is your best friend. Although I have not had to use anything on my metric left hand threaded sig 226 (trident9). On my sub gun I use a three lug mount with Teflon tape just because I hardly ever take the three lug mount off but if I do the tape cleans up pretty easy. Just depends on your host,
Munk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Munk »

Bendersquint wrote:I use blue loctite, doesnt require a wrench to remove, apply once and forget about it unlike tape that you have to replace often.

I put it at the base of the threads near the shoulder so the last twist is tight so i am not fighting with it to get it unscrewed.

Never done me wrong. Nordlock washers is another story. Used them once got a baffle strike and after i bought a strap to take it off they went in the trash.

I recommend that you never use a spring to prevent unscrewing. IMhO the only place in a silencer for a spring is in the booster assy. Seen too many damaged cans because of either split wave washers or belleville washers inside.
So with the blue loctite, you don't ever find yourself needing to reapply after a certain number of screwing/unscrewing the suppressor?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Munk wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:I use blue loctite, doesnt require a wrench to remove, apply once and forget about it unlike tape that you have to replace often.

So with the blue loctite, you don't ever find yourself needing to reapply after a certain number of screwing/unscrewing the suppressor?
I have yet to wear the blue loctite off of my cans or the hosts. Going on 8 years now and still ticking strong.
Fallschirmjäger
Silent Operator

Post by Fallschirmjäger »

So you just apply the blue loctite to the threads, and let it set without the can on, so the can snugs up on the dried loctite? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but if I'm using the can on multiple hosts, just wanted to make sure that's what you meant.
everyusernametaken
Senior Silent Operator

Post by everyusernametaken »

I've read several times that LH-threaded mounting reduces the tendency for the suppressor to unscrew, but I don't see how this would be inherently better than a RH-threaded mount, all else being equal. Is there something about the specific design of the M13.5x1LH interface that increases friction between the barrel and piston threads? If the mount uses an o-ring, obviously that would make a difference.

BTW, someone was asking about finding silicone o-rings: check McMaster Carr. I'd look at Viton o-rings, which can handle very high temperatures as well as tolerating extended exposure to various HC compounds.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Fallschirmjäger wrote:So you just apply the blue loctite to the threads, and let it set without the can on, so the can snugs up on the dried loctite? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but if I'm using thee can on multiple hosts, just wanted to make sure that's what you meant.

Yes i put a drop of blue loctite on and let it cure for a couple days.

Just apply a drop to each host and don't look back.

Just put it at the very end of the threads so the last little twist interferes with the loctite. Works perfectly.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Then there is another, not so commonly seen method:
Brass or lead tipped flat faced set screw*.
Does not mar the threads, does not require heating to loosen
Loctite, and can be made easily. I have used this method to keep lathe bull gear set screw
from loosening up and there has been no damage to lathe spindle/threads.

*For example snip off a piece of lead solder or brass rod the diameter of
set screw using:
a. Neiko Allen Head Hex Socket Set Screw
b. Baltimore Street Irons Knurled Set Screw
Fallschirmjäger
Silent Operator

Post by Fallschirmjäger »

Bendersquint wrote:
Fallschirmjäger wrote:So you just apply the blue loctite to the threads, and let it set without the can on, so the can snugs up on the dried loctite? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but if I'm using thee can on multiple hosts, just wanted to make sure that's what you meant.

Yes i put a drop of blue loctite on and let it cure for a couple days.

Just apply a drop to each host and don't look back.

Just put it at the very end of the threads so the last little twist interferes with the loctite. Works perfectly.
Excellent! Thanks for the tip, that will really help!
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Capt. Link. wrote:. . . left hand threads if you roll your own.
That's what I was thinking.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

My 13.5x1LH threaded barrel unscrews more than my 1/2x28!

Blue loctite for the win, if its a screw it will unscrew.
JFB

Post by JFB »

Since I have never used locktite in the method mentioned of appling, letting it skin over and then using it for multiple applications, I did a search of the locktite application publications. In my search I found this threadlocker compond that looks promising
http://www.rivetsonline.com/threadlocke ... -vc-3.html. I think iI have used this product years ago, but repackage as "Propritary Use Only" for securing small nuts inside an electric generator.

However before I look into acquiring that stuff, I'm going to try the blue loctite as suggested.
everyusernametaken
Senior Silent Operator

Post by everyusernametaken »

JFB wrote:Since I have never used locktite in the method mentioned of appling, letting it skin over and then using it for multiple applications, I did a search of the locktite application publications. In my search I found this threadlocker compond that looks promising
http://www.rivetsonline.com/threadlocke ... -vc-3.html. I think iI have used this product years ago, but repackage as "Propritary Use Only" for securing small nuts inside an electric generator.

However before I look into acquiring that stuff, I'm going to try the blue loctite as suggested.
That VC3 stuff looks promising. I've never used it, but I've used non-hardening thread sealants a lot, and it seems like that sort of thing might work here. Only question is how messy it gets - some thread sealants would become a nightmare.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

VC3 is has been good on scope screws for me. It might be OK on rimfire and pistol, not sure how much heat it can take.

I use a 1mm x 10mm ID O-ring on the thread relief of 1/2-28.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

The correct way to use the blue (or any) Loctite is to clean threads with brake cleaner/lacquer thinner/denatured alcohol/or similar, put a bit of loctite on the male threads, screw the can on tight, and let it set 30 minutes. Loctite doesn't really cure up in the open, it needs to be in a joint to cure. DO NOT try this with red loctite, or the green retaining (loctite) compound! The blue stuff will break free, and what stays in the threads after removal will help keep things tight during future use. Sort of a friction fit.

In addition to brass/setscrew, nylon or teflon rod will work too. If you're shooting full auto, leather gloves and continuous checking is definitely the way to go.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rockman96 wrote:The correct way to use the blue (or any) Loctite is to clean threads with brake cleaner/lacquer thinner/denatured alcohol/or similar, put a bit of loctite on the male threads, screw the can on tight, and let it set 30 minutes. Loctite doesn't really cure up in the open, it needs to be in a joint to cure. DO NOT try this with red loctite, or the green retaining (loctite) compound! The blue stuff will break free, and what stays in the threads after removal will help keep things tight during future use. Sort of a friction fit.

In addition to brass/setscrew, nylon or teflon rod will work too. If you're shooting full auto, leather gloves and continuous checking is definitely the way to go.
All the blue loctite that I have used cures in open air. Surely you have seen the bolts that are sold with the blue loctite drop on them?

Only certain types require a fitted component for curing.