Check not yet cashed............

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Loaded
Silent Operator

Check not yet cashed............

Post by Loaded »

I know I'm in for a long wait, but I've been looking every week for my check to the ATF to be cancelled. They received the Form4, individual (no trust), on Jan.16, 2103. The paperwork has been sitting there for 16 or 17 days and evidently no one has opened it. You fellas that have already gone thru the process have any idea if this is normal or perhaps they're swamped? I'd read where in 2012 they processed over 144,000 form 4s.
I just want to see the check cashed and at least I know I'm making some headway..................Any Thoughts?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Check not yet cashed............

Post by Bendersquint »

Loaded wrote:I know I'm in for a long wait, but I've been looking every week for my check to the ATF to be cancelled. They received the Form4, individual (no trust), on Jan.16, 2103. The paperwork has been sitting there for 16 or 17 days and evidently no one has opened it. You fellas that have already gone thru the process have any idea if this is normal or perhaps they're swamped? I'd read where in 2012 they processed over 144,000 form 4s.
I just want to see the check cashed and at least I know I'm making some headway..................Any Thoughts?
I had a check take 4 months to cash.

I wouldn't worry about it, if you have proof that they received it relax and wait.

You are fine give it some time.

This is your first NFA right?
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

Yeah, indeed it is my first NFA. s--t, by the time I get the stamp back I'll be too old & weak to be able to pull the trigger............. But, what else can you expect from a gov't bureau :x
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Loaded wrote:Yeah, indeed it is my first NFA. s--t, by the time I get the stamp back I'll be too old & weak to be able to pull the trigger............. But, what else can you expect from a gov't bureau :x
You think these waits are long look a few years back. Makes these wait look overnight. My first took 14 months to be approved.
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

wow all of my checks have been cashed within 2 or 3 weeks of it being mailed.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

They have always cashed mine promptly. In fact, I just sent in a Form 4 last week and they cashed it in 2 days. Weird that it would take that long but who knows.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

samson7x wrote:They have always cashed mine promptly. In fact, I just sent in a Form 4 last week and they cashed it in 2 days. Weird that it would take that long but who knows.
I have done sevearl dozen forms myself and countless for customers and there is no rhyme or reason some are as you say 2 days after signing, and 1 STILL hasn't had his check cashed and he has his approved form almost 6 months now!
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

At least I know that it's typical of them and CALLING would do no good.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Took them two weeks to cash my last form 4 and form 1 sent at the end of december.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

Took a month for mine to be represented on my online bank history. Know it's not my bank as they've always been prompt with stuff like that before.

This is my first one too, and with a little help from the fellows here I'm leaning that once the forms are sent, one must forget. Hang in there buddy!
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

O.K., I'll be patient.....Thanks for the consoling responses!
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

hey just remember your earning .001% interest in your 200 until they cash it.lol
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

There you go!
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

Huh! Got my monthly bank statement today...............ATF cashed the check on Jan 18th., using electronic transfer, two days after they received it. So now at least I know the forms are in the works.
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

I've had them take anywhere between 10 days and 21 days to cash my checks. However, it does take their systems a little while to update as far as the pending status goes. I called one time, lets say on the 10th of the month to check, and they had no updates in the system. Gave them two weeks and called back, and my pending date was the 8th. Things just take time to process; don't sweat it. Patience is the name of the NFA game. Although, I think I had more trouble being patient for my 2nd suppressor rather than my 1st one. I was REALLY busy with work at the time my 1st can was processing (active duty drill sergeant) so one day at work I got the call. With my 2nd, my trail time was up and I was working in the 3-shop so my time was less occupied.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Now you have the pleasure of waiting anywhere from 170 days to 200 days for the Form 4 to actually be approved (if all goes without problems)! I just had my first two cans approved on 02/19/13. Welcome to the worst part....the wait. I found that trying to completely forget about it has helped the time pass more quickly. I'm still waiting on approvals from cans that I paid for on march 8, 2012 so don't be surprised if your can takes longer than 6 months for the entire process to unfold.

Find a temporary hobby while you wait and buy ammo when you actually see it. I've been caught with my pants around my knees by not buying ammo while I waited. I didn't count on this ammo/firearm shortage to happen when I first started my NFA process.
I've gotta stop this habit.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Bendersquint wrote:You think these waits are long look a few years back. Makes these wait look overnight. My first took 14 months to be approved.
Back in 2005, my first took twenty seven days door to door! And for a couple of years all of my Form 1/4s were twenty one to twenty seven days DTD.

BTW I have seen them take a full month to cash the check.