Modern Suppressors for the M10 45?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

KSmoker

Modern Suppressors for the M10 45?

Post by KSmoker »

After a few SBRs and Suppressors I finally bought my first SMG. While it's pending for what I'm sure will be the worst wait yet I'm suppressor shopping. I am in-line for a LAGE upper so thread patterns aren't limited to the stock 7/8-9 threads. What's important to me is: flexibility, staying tight, blowback and ease of cleaning.

Seems the Gemtech Viper is the gold standard but it's a very specialized can. Right now I'm thinking Octane 45 as it's the same diameter and only .75 shorter so the internal capacity should be similar. Anyone have any real world experience or suggestions?
Last edited by KSmoker on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one-eyed Jack
Silent Operator

Re: Modern Suppressors for the M10 45?

Post by one-eyed Jack »

I have the Viper on my MAC10 45. I like the way it attaches to the gun, but remember that is is sealed. I shoot my cast lead reloads thru my other .45 subguns but have to use FMJ when the suppressor is on the MAC.
rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjacobs »

TiRant 45 is FA rated, might be worth a look.
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Don't forget the Bowers CAC45. I have a CAC9 on my Uzi and love it!
LoudasFawk
Silent Operator

Post by LoudasFawk »

wmdaniel70 wrote:Don't forget the Bowers CAC45. I have a CAC9 on my Uzi and love it!

+1 on the Bowers CAC45, with the numerous thread attachments, you can't go wrong.....
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

one-eyed Jack wrote:I have the Viper on my MAC10 45. I like the way it attaches to the gun, but remember that is is sealed. I shoot my cast lead reloads thru my other .45 subguns but have to use FMJ when the suppressor is on the MAC.
If you get it jailbroken you can always shoot cast bullets
one-eyed Jack
Silent Operator

Post by one-eyed Jack »

Bendersquint wrote:
one-eyed Jack wrote:I have the Viper on my MAC10 45. I like the way it attaches to the gun, but remember that is is sealed. I shoot my cast lead reloads thru my other .45 subguns but have to use FMJ when the suppressor is on the MAC.
If you get it jailbroken you can always shoot cast bullets
Good point. I shoot it very seldom, the Thompson and Grease gun being my favorites. Jack.
KSmoker

Post by KSmoker »

LoudasFawk wrote: +1 on the Bowers CAC45, with the numerous thread attachments, you can't go wrong.....
The Bowers looks nice but it's huge with all aluminum baffles. Has anyone tried a pistol can on a subgun here? I'd really like to find someone using a TiRant on a MAC or UZI but have not so far. The Viper keeps coming up but for $650 and then a couple more hundred to jail break it seems unreasonable. The Octane 45/TiRant are serviceable from the get go with modern internals.
TheCowboyofKhaos
Senior Silent Operator

Post by TheCowboyofKhaos »

I like the looks of the Thompson Machine SG...
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

TheCowboyofKhaos wrote:I like the looks of the Thompson Machine SG...
SG's quiet, I like mine, but big. Much different feel with a short can on my M11/9, 9mm AR, and Uzi. I am really digging my trident with tri-lug now for anything other than mag dumps, so I might naturally favor the SWR Octane with a fixed adapter.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
KSmoker

Post by KSmoker »

jt526 wrote:
TheCowboyofKhaos wrote:I like the looks of the Thompson Machine SG...
SG's quiet, I like mine, but big. Much different feel with a short can on my M11/9, 9mm AR, and Uzi. I am really digging my trident with tri-lug now for anything other than mag dumps, so I might naturally favor the SWR Octane with a fixed adapter.
Friend of mine has the 9mm SG on his Max-11 and he's not a fan of the size either. On a stock M10 the SG or a Viper look fine. It's when you throw them on a Lage'd gun it starts to get BIG! The Octane 45 is a lot more compact but didn't know how effective it is on automatic fire. The fact I have an Octane 9 in process right now helps the Octane's case a bit too.

What don't you like about the trident with mag dumps? Too hot for it or a lot of gas in the face? Also does it effect the ROF much?
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

KSmoker wrote: What don't you like about the trident with mag dumps? Too hot for it or a lot of gas in the face? Also does it effect the ROF much?
I can't speak for jt, but I find the Trident way too gassy on the M11/9. Sometimes it's even too much in semi-auto - forget about mag dumps.

With the fast subguns, internal volume is the name of the game.

I've been impressed by the sound reduction of the Viper on the MAC10/45 (not mine, but I've heard one). For other short cans, I believe they make / made the MK9k in .45 as well as 9mm.

I use a CAC-45 for my heavy-volume can on anything from .44 Mag down through full-auto .22LR. Having all aluminum baffles hasn't seemed to be a problem. For something a little shorter, I've been impressed with the Bowers VERS-9s. I've been wondering if enough people ask about it if he'd do a run of those in .45.