Has any one ever heard a Hiram Maxim silencer

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Wilder
Elite Member

Post by Wilder »

Thank for posting the pics.

In reguards to the ATF burning history(and a Hiram is history), that
should be illegal.

The pictures I just looked at I would call ART IN STEEL not just insanely sweet.

Thanks to all for information espicially the pics. If anyone brings one to the Silencer Shoot I would love to hear it. Thanks again!

If your pops ever wants to sell it let me know I may have to go to the bank and borrow the money but this is a collectors dream.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Great pics, thanks!

I'm not sure mind you but I think they are using the old tooling.

I received a reply to an e-mail I sent yesterday about them as I wanted to place an advanced order and they aren't due out until mid 2008 as of today.
Last edited by Hush on Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
cmdecker
Elite Member

Post by cmdecker »

Here is the response that I got from the guys over at US Firearms on the Maxim Silencers:

Cliff
We are at a very early stage with the Maxim project. The information in
the press release is really all I have right now. It could be well into
08 before we have anything.

Thanks for your interest

US Fire Arms Mfg. Co.
PH:860-296-7441
Fax:860-296-7688
445-453 Ledyard St.
Hartford, CT 06114
Silent But Deadly

Post by 444 »

".....the maxim's coupling was just

hammered on the end of the barrel....NO ALIGNMENT WORRYS THERE!!! "

What does that mean exactly ?
How does the Maxim suppressor mount to the gun. I see some interupted threads in the pics ?
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

I am about all things Maxim....
I have read "The Devils Paintbrush" about 7-8 times at least....with that being said, I really appreciate you posting those pics....
The tube appears to be blue steel??
I assume that the baffles stack on top of each other in the tube....correct??
What caliber is that can for??
I would love to see the instruction sheet as well....and the rest of the container (can) it was shipped in....
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

To quote the Maxim manual......

"HOW THE .22 CAL. IS ATTACHED"
"For all .22 cal. rifles and single shot pistols the Silencer can be immediately attached by means of a Coupling which drives onto the end of the barrel forward of the front sight. The Coupling is a small thimble having threads by means to which the Silencer is screwed on. Spacers accompany it so that a tight driving fit can be obtained no matter what size the gun barrel is. Various sizes Couplings are furnished (see list of .22 Calibre Couplings) so that only a few spacers are necessary. The round Coupling drives onto either octagon or round barrels perfectly. A small thimble covers the threads of the Coupling when the Silencer is off and gives the barrel a finished appearance. A .22 outfit consists of a Silencer, one Coupling of any size desired, several spacers and a Barrel Sleeve or Thimble and full instructions"

Remember that this was in the 1920's for the ordinary person to follow these simple instructions came across the word "DRIVE", I think he would use a hammer.........

Post by twodollarbill »

GaLEO...........

Can in pics is a .22lr
Baffles stack on top of each other... the "dip" has to mate with the one above it and below, they all face one direction only to mate up.
The Maxim in the pics already has a "sleeve" installed in the Coupling
to fit whatever barrel it was mounted on. This unit shows very little handling.

I know that these tubes come in shipping boxes complete.

Post by 444 »

To repeat an earlier question, does anyone have a guess as to what something like this would cost if you happened to locate one ?
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

Thanks for the post and the PM.....
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1928A1 »

444 wrote:To repeat an earlier question, does anyone have a guess as to what something like this would cost if you happened to locate one ?
The way I understand it is unless they are registered, they are illegal and cannot be registered. So if somebody happened to "find" one lying around in a box of old antiques, and its not registered, its contraband. This could be totally wrong however.
07FFL 02 SOT
1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1928A1 »

Mtdew wrote:
twodollarbill wrote:thanks artful....here it goes

Maxim pics.....

When I asked if it was registered I was given a stack of ATF forms about
3 inches high and told too look for it.

Boy it's nice dad's favorite son with the same name!!!!!
fixed the links
Interesting to see that even the inventor of the silencer had enough sense to design the 22 silencer so that it could be disassembled for cleaning... :wink:
07FFL 02 SOT
Silent But Deadly

Post by 444 »

The way I understand it is unless they are registered, they are illegal and cannot be registered. So if somebody happened to "find" one lying around in a box of old antiques, and its not registered, its contraband. This could be totally wrong however.
I didn't say anything about finding one that was unregistered. I am sure there are some out there that are sold from time to time. I just wondered what the current market price was. We know what modern suppressors cost. We even see some 30-40 year old stuff for sale once in awhile. So, what about an antique suppressor ? The Maxim is kind of a different animal. If I was going to buy one, I would be buying it as much for nostolgia, and history as much as I would be for actual use as a suppressor.

FWIW: I got AN answer to my question via PM
I think it is safe to say that I won't be buying an original any time soon. Hopefully the reproductions will be in-line with the price of a modern .22 can.
Third_Rail
Silent But Deadly

Post by Third_Rail »

The reproductions, if made in large numbers, could be made to be much less expensive than other .22 suppressors. They could probably be stamped out selling for $75 each without a problem.

Knowing USFA, though, they'll be expensive.
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

Reproductions made of a tube and stamped carbon steel washers shouldn't cost more than $100, and they can't claim that R&D expenses are a factor in the price. :D
oldcoot
Silent But Deadly

Post by oldcoot »

Does the Maxim insert show the other calibers that Maxim offered. I would love to see an image scan of that!
Arma tuentur pacem
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

"from the .22 to the .45 inclusive" according to the manual.. different calibers had different "couplings"......Remingon and Winchester self loading rifles had to be special ordered...
Wilder
Elite Member

Post by Wilder »

Who ever sent the PM about what an original cost I would like to know as well. If you could please sent a price. I'm curious what a piece of history like this would run.
Third_Rail
Silent But Deadly

Post by Third_Rail »

pbauw - that won't stop them from being expensive! :D