Good thread-mounted 5.56 suppressor?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Mike M.

Good thread-mounted 5.56 suppressor?

Post by Mike M. »

I'm in the market for a 5.56 suppressor for an AR. Don't particularly need a quick-detach unit, so saving money and weight by going to thread mounting appeals to me. What's got the best performance? Thanks.
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Good thread-mounted 5.56 suppressor?

Post by Broken11B »

Most 5.56 suppressors are going to have a similar decibel reduction, but what may be difference is tone or pitch.

I would recommend finding a dealer that has suppressors you can test or people local to you so you can hear some of them.

Here are some links to thread on 5.56 cans:
YHM Phantom $635
http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=prod ... cts_id=301

AAC Ranger 3 $550
http://www.advanced-armament.com/RANGER3_p_441.html

Innovative Arms Grunt or Grunt Mini 5.56 $599
http://www.innovativearms.com/
I own this fullsize 5.56 can. I love it.

Huntertown Arms Kestral $499
http://www.huntertownarms.com/k556.php

Liberty Torch $495
http://libertycans.net/torch.html
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

SilencerCo / SWR and Liberty have top notch warranties & customer service. These companies also do extremely well in independent dB level testing.

As far as lifespan: Hoplon > Inconel > Stainless.

My favorite 5.56 cans so far:

Top of the line w/ hoplon baffles:
SilencerCo Saker
http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Products&page=Saker

Inconel baffles #1 & gear locking quick attach
SWR SpecWar
http://www.swrsuppressors.com/products/ ... pecwar-556

Inconel baffles #2 quick attach available & threaded
Liberty Triumph
http://libertycans.net/triumph.html

Take apart all stainless steel threaded
Everyone here will hate on me for suggesting this but I like take apart and the reviews at NFAtalk are good. ArevaloSOCOM calls it a "win" and he's seen & metered more cans most if not all people on this forum. Take apart isn't needed for rifles but heh.. it makes it easy to re-core which is difficult / impossible to do on a sealed can. :-) Odds of you wearing out a can are very small though (unless you SBR or are a super heavy shooter). The first 3 cans can be expected to meter around 3 dB quieter. There is debate if 1 dB is noticeable. Keep in mind the can sizes.

Liberty Constitution
http://libertycans.net/constitution.html

edit: didn't see threaded in the title :-p highlighting w/ blue
Last edited by wacki on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

wacki wrote:SilencerCo / SWR and Liberty have top notch warranties & customer service. These companies also do extremely well in independent dB level testing.

As far as lifespan: Hoplon > Inconel > Stainless.
Given that Hoplon is the name of the baffle in the Saker, I'd venture to say that unless you work for silencerco, the above statement is pure speculation. From Silencerco's literature, I think it's probably inaccurate to say that Hoplon is even a metal type. I think the designation has more to do with design than material.

As to a threaded suppressor, I'm partial to the YHM-3200-Ti. It's lightweight, decently priced, and works well. Plus it's freakin titanium and that automatically makes you cooler.

-Jim
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
Vtwin

Post by Vtwin »

Hoplon is Silencerco's name for the type of steel the baffles are made of, not the configuration of the baffle.
Shamrock-MP
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shamrock-MP »

Torch. I am waiting on my Specwars and Sakers but I think that the most bang for the buck is definitely the Torch, for threaded. There is also a Titanium version out now, if you are $x2 worried about weight. It is just about 1/2 the weight of the original.
Form4
Suppressors and Firearms
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(502)671-9799
www.form4.org
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

fixed post.. all liberty 5.56 cans have threaded options. good value, awesome performance , great warranty

torch, constitution, and triumph are all good choices
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

Vtwin wrote:Hoplon is Silencerco's name for the type of steel the baffles are made of, not the configuration of the baffle.
No it's not, we don't even know if it's steel at all.
Henry_SWR wrote:The Hoplon baffle is modeled after the sloped armor concept of the Panther tank. Instead of a surface perpendicular or cone angled into the bore we used a baffle profile that is sloped away from the blast. The hot gases and unburnt powder that impact that baffle hit at such a steep angle that they are deflected, using up energy that would have otherwise peened the baffle.

We have spent time and resources developing a way to make this baffle from a hard, durable, heat resistant material that is better in pretty much every way to 718 Inconel. If we told you what it was every other manufacturer would start using it. We have filed patents on the designs but I have no doubt that the entire industry will move in this direction.
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

wacki wrote: As far as lifespan: Hoplon > Inconel > Stainless.

Are they your favorite because you have them and use all of them? Or are they your favorite because of how they look on the internet? Not trying to be a dick about it, but you have to evaluate needs vs "cool". I don't doubt the top companies make some awesome stuff, but if you don't need some of the features and the price tag that follows, look elsewhere.

For my practical purposes (and many others), the lifespan of stainless steel and inconel will likely be the same. I don't shoot short barrels or full auto. Paying the increase in price for something I will never notice the difference in doesn't make sense for me. I will probably not wear out my all stainless 5.56 can unless I strike a baffle (or two).

Now, if someone needs the top of the line strength and durability because their full auto SBR is tough on a can, then by all means. It doesn't make sense to buy solely based on brand name or flashy parts...buy based on what your needs require. Anything else is secondary.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Broken11B wrote:
wacki wrote: As far as lifespan: Hoplon > Inconel > Stainless.

Are they your favorite because you have them and use all of them? Or are they your favorite because of how they look on the internet? Not trying to be a dick about it, but you have to evaluate needs vs "cool". I don't doubt the top companies make some awesome stuff, but if you don't need some of the features and the price tag that follows, look elsewhere.

For my practical purposes (and many others), the lifespan of stainless steel and inconel will likely be the same. I don't shoot short barrels or full auto. Paying the increase in price for something I will never notice the difference in doesn't make sense for me. I will probably not wear out my all stainless 5.56 can unless I strike a baffle (or two).

Now, if someone needs the top of the line strength and durability because their full auto SBR is tough on a can, then by all means. It doesn't make sense to buy solely based on brand name or flashy parts...buy based on what your needs require. Anything else is secondary.
1. none have made it to end-users' hands that I have seen.

2. the concept is cool, and I look forward to more reviews. My hands on time with the saker has been very positive, and i love the guys at SilCo.

Declaring something that you have no experience with to be "the best" is foolish... especially when you show that you don't know what "hoplon" means.. and how many/what model rifle cans made with stainless and/or inconel have you worn out?

Like everything else, we have a lot of good choices, and there is no one size fits all answer.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

^^^ I guess I'm not sure why you quoted me, since I didn't make any of the claims you are referring to in your post...maybe you're just reinforcing what I said?
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Broken11B wrote:^^^ I guess I'm not sure why you quoted me, since I didn't make any of the claims you are referring to in your post...maybe you're just reinforcing what I said?
Yes, i was just adding on to what you said
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Broken11B wrote:Are they your favorite because you have them and use all of them? Or are they your favorite because of how they look on the internet? Not trying to be a dick about it,
Well there are plenty of nicer ways of asking the question.

Do you have a problem with any of the advice I gave him? If so, I'm all ears.

Broken11B wrote:For my practical purposes (and many others), the lifespan of stainless steel and inconel will likely be the same.
Benderquint, a manufacturer, says otherwise:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102562&p=827700#p827700

I guess it only applies to heavy shooters like myself though.
It doesn't make sense to buy solely based on brand name or flashy parts...buy based on what your needs require. Anything else is secondary.
Given the 6 month Form 4 wait, 6 week form 3 wait and $200 tax stamp.... customer service is everything.

I'll add Thompson Machine into the mix of my recommendations. They are on the cheap end and have good customer service. Gemtech has a good rep as well.

Although I don't want to abuse the manufacturers, if the OP has trouble deciding he should email / phone call certain manufactures and see who responds and who doesn't. Or just start reading lots of threads on SilencerTalk, NFAtalk, etc. Watch fireman's videos, etc.

I've had lots of conversations w/ Dave at Liberty Suppressors. Gary at SilencerCo has been awesome as well. Both of them have blown my expectations of a good company out of the water. Some of the other big names won't even respond to a "how much to re-core a can?" or "will this void the warranty" emails and voice messages. I gave one major company a dozen tries and then gave up. As good as their cans are, I won't be buying from them. So ya, I put a lot of weight on people that will actually respond to your questions if you need help.

As for decibel metering. The OP should go here:

http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php ... ht=RESULTS

If you know of a better source of information, I'm all ears.

I'm not an authority on this topic. I've got 8 cans pending but don't have the stamps yet. But what I have done is talked to a ton of manufacturer's, multiple dealers and ton of people that do own them and use them regularly. Some, like AvereloSocom, even meter them regularly. I attend gun shows, Hush Indiana, etc. Weight my advice how you wish.
Last edited by wacki on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

Like JasonM said, there is no one-size fits all solution to suppressors. I said your intended use/purpose should guide your decision primarily and other things are secondary. I didn't say "Don't take customer service" or anything else into consideration. People buy things for all types of reasons: durability, weight, design, intended use, brand name, "it's new and no one else has it", the list goes on.

You rated Hoplon as a material (rather than a baffle design, SilCo says the material is "exotic, never before seen) over inconel and stainless. Like another member said, unless you've had hands on it, it's really hard to make that claim for someone else. That being said, I shoot a fair amount...kind of sidelined medically at the moment but when I shoot my normal round counts, less than half of it is suppressed. My cans I currently own (and my future cans) will probably never see the end of their lives unless I destroy them some how or another or get into the SBR game, which I have no plans of doing right now.

And that NFA link isn't viewable unless you make an account there.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Broken11B wrote:You rated Hoplon as a material (rather than a baffle design,
No I didn't.

But from kingjamez's post, both seem to apply.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Would love to see any pictures of a heat treated 718 Inconel blast baffle in a thread-mount can wore out. :roll:

Be sure to share how many rounds, length of barrel, full or semi
GoingQuiet
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoingQuiet »

Mike M. wrote:I'm in the market for a 5.56 suppressor for an AR. Don't particularly need a quick-detach unit, so saving money and weight by going to thread mounting appeals to me. What's got the best performance? Thanks.
AAC Ranger 3 or Cyclone and GT Trek/HVT would be my top choices if you have to go Threadmount.
GoingQuiet.com
07 FFL / 02 SOT
Melbourne, FL
NFA Sales & Transfers, Silencerco Stocking Distributor, AAC, SigSauer, Gemtech, Rock River Arms Stocking Dealer
[email protected]
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

57 Fairlane, it's not a threadmount but these photos are from AR15.com, this is the inside of an M42K after about 8000 rounds of M193 through a 10.5" SBR, with the use of a brake absorbing the bulk of the flame cutting/erosion.

Wear on the brake: I can only imagine the inside of the can would be significantly more stressed without this.

I don't have any idea if it was due to wear or the mount loosening, but the poster of these photos also experienced 2 endcap hits and even with the brake, the endcap was experiencing erosion due to the flame cutting in the SBR.

There are pics of other cans with inconel blast baffles, like the NT-4 that mounts directly to an A2 flash hider, with similar wear. Inconel is tough, but it's not infallible.
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

wacki wrote:
Broken11B wrote:You rated Hoplon as a material (rather than a baffle design,
No I didn't.

But from kingjamez's post, both seem to apply.
If you didn't, your "Hoplon > inconel > stainless" equation was misleading.

And SilencerCo's website indicates Hoplon is the name of the design, and like I already quoted them, The baffles are made from an exotic material that has never been offered in silencers " and the name "Hoplon" is the style/design of the baffle itself. That is all just by going off of information SilencerCo has made available to the public since that's all the info we're privy to.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

There are only a couple specific instances I would want a thread on 556 can (and none of them have to do with price!) but if I were looking for one.... Ranger3.... When it manages to not remain vaporware.
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

The Ranger 3 is super light and great price. Since AAC lists the dB reduction as 28-30, I'd have to hear it before I bought one and see how the tone compares to other similarly priced cans that have a claimed higher dB reduction. I know numbers aren't everything, but until you hear them in person that's a place the start.
GoingQuiet
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoingQuiet »

Broken11B wrote:The Ranger 3 is super light and great price. Since AAC lists the dB reduction as 28-30, I'd have to hear it before I bought one and see how the tone compares to other similarly priced cans that have a claimed higher dB reduction. I know numbers aren't everything, but until you hear them in person that's a place the start.
The only problem is Ranger 3's are badly backordered.
GoingQuiet.com
07 FFL / 02 SOT
Melbourne, FL
NFA Sales & Transfers, Silencerco Stocking Distributor, AAC, SigSauer, Gemtech, Rock River Arms Stocking Dealer
[email protected]
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Vtwin wrote:Hoplon is Silencerco's name for the type of steel the baffles are made of, not the configuration of the baffle.
I'm going to disagree, it's the shape if the blast baffle.
NP
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Broken11B wrote:The Ranger 3 is super light and great price. Since AAC lists the dB reduction as 28-30, I'd have to hear it before I bought one and see how the tone compares to other similarly priced cans that have a claimed higher dB reduction. I know numbers aren't everything, but until you hear them in person that's a place the start.
Ranger3 is basically a thread on m42000. This would be a non brainer
NP