What barrel length for T/C Contender?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Garrett
Silent But Deadly

What barrel length for T/C Contender?

Post by Garrett »

I just bought a 10" Contender barrel in .357 Mag that I thought would make a good suppressor host. I've got a 10.5" barrel in 300 Whisper that is just about the perfect length when on a stocked SBR with a can installed. Not so much on a pistol, though. And since moving to MI, I don't get to visit my SBRs all that often. The Whisper barrel just lives on a pistol frame for the time being. :x

So with that in mind, I'm considering having the new .357 barrel shortened when I send it off to be threaded. I was originally thinking 8" or so, but now I'm debating if I should go shorter. Maybe as short as 5" or 6". Chopping and fitting a forend shouldn't be a big deal.

So has anyone gone that short on a Contender pistol? Any recommendations? Pictures with / without a can?
redtazdog
Elite Member

Re: What barrel length for T/C Contender?

Post by redtazdog »

I will post some pictures of my 357 mag contender pistol
When I get home this eve.
I can't remember the exact length but I do know I cut it so just the threads extended past the forearm.
there is probably a picture of it here but I can't remember where I posted it
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

redtazdog wrote:I will post some pictures of my 357 mag contender pistol
I can't remember the exact length but I do know I cut it so just the threads extended past the forearm.
Thanks. I think I've seen yours, which looks pretty good. If I had to guess, it's around a 8" to 10" long. But check to tonight. More I think about it, a 5" or 6" barrel might not look all that bad.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Garrett wrote:
Thanks. I think I've seen yours, which looks pretty good. If I had to guess, it's around a 8" to 10" long. But check to tonight. More I think about it, a 5" or 6" barrel might not look all that bad.
Are you saying my 10" looks that bad :lol:
I cut it down too 10" as I wanted the longer forearm that came to about 9.5 at the end.
You can go with a shorter pistol forearm and cut a barrel to aprox 6 to 6.5" as it would leave just enough for threads
and have the same look as my longer barrel build, or you could always custom trim the forearm and go shorter too.

The entire gun started out as a $250 ugly duckling and is now a crowd grabber at the shoots
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

That does look good. Since there is no appreciable action length, a longer barrel doesn't look all that long on the Contender. 4 or 5 inches would definitely look off. It would essentially mean cutting the barrel just in front of your scope rail. Might look okay with the can on, but it would be one ugly thing without it.

Still, I think I can go as short as 8 or 9 inches without modifying one of the short for ends I have kicking around here somewhere. Or I could get one of these custom forends, which is just basically a block inletted for the barrel, like the one shown below. I could shorten one of those to almost any length.

Something to think about anyway.

jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

I've got a 22 lr bbl that I cut down for my form 1 can. It's cut to 7" with the shoulder for the threads at 6-1/2". In that configuration, you can just fit the small TC 10" forearm without modifying it. Here's a link to a picture of the can on the gun I posted a few years back: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23320
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

redtazdog wrote:
Garrett wrote:
Are you saying my 10" looks that bad :lol:
I cut it down too 10" as I wanted the longer forearm that came to about 9.5 at the end.
You can go with a shorter pistol forearm and cut a barrel to aprox 6 to 6.5" as it would leave just enough for threads
and have the same look as my longer barrel build, or you could always custom trim the forearm and go shorter too.

The entire gun started out as a $250 ugly duckling and is now a crowd grabber at the shoots
As normal redtazdog pulls a show stopper out of his hat, keep up the fine work.
I would leave your barrel at 10.00" length.The .38/.357 with a long barrel is versatile and accurate.Lite powder charges give you efficiency with low flash and when magnum charges are necessary the velocity needed.Iron sites & long barrel aids accuracy to gather small game.With the addition of a suppressor heavy subsonic loads could bring down large game with the utmost silence.All you need now is a SBR stamp for the ultimate minimalist weapon.
My .02
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Capt. Link. wrote:All you need now is a SBR stamp for the ultimate minimalist weapon.
I've already got it. But since moving to a no-SBR state, the pistol length barrels stay on a pistol lower. Hence the desire to keep it on the short side.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I need to do one of these, never like single shots before suppressors. :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Emilio wrote:I need to do one of these, never like single shots before suppressors. :mrgreen:
I have 3 safes full of Guns of all kinds and I probably shoot the TC's more than any of the others.
when you get your first tc and shoot it suppressed you will be hooked.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

redtazdog wrote:
Emilio wrote:I need to do one of these, never like single shots before suppressors. :mrgreen:
I have 3 safes full of Guns of all kinds and I probably shoot the TC's more than any of the others.
when you get your first tc and shoot it suppressed you will be hooked.
My neighbor has 2 or 3 , one is ,223 with custom barrel and huge muzzle brake, shoots like a rifle (tac driver). Very annoyed shooting next to him though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe he sells me one. :P
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

The barrel showed up today, and looks great. I started pulling out all of the various forends I have (I forgot I had about half of them). I've got one like Redtaz's gun. It looks good with the 10" barrel. But if I put even a pistol-length can on it, you can see it makes for a package even longer than a 16" barrel.

On the other hand, if I put a short forend on, I could shorten the barrel to around 6.5". At that length, I could put a full-sized subgun can on it and get the same overall length. (of course, the plan here would be to use the Trident for a shorter OAL).

redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Is that a gun on that can :lol:
that Bowers looks HUGE on the end of that barrel
M-60
Senior Silent Operator

Post by M-60 »

I want a dang contender sooo bad... You guys aren't helping with your pictures...
"Superb photos, the best I've ever seen!" ~ Oleg "Peacemonger" Volk
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

redtazdog wrote:Is that a gun on that can :lol:
No - this is a gun hanging off the end of the can. :mrgreen:

M-60
Senior Silent Operator

Post by M-60 »

Garrett wrote:
redtazdog wrote:Is that a gun on that can :lol:
No - this is a gun hanging off the end of the can. :mrgreen:

Wouldn't that be clasified as a SBR with that on there?

lol
"Superb photos, the best I've ever seen!" ~ Oleg "Peacemonger" Volk