Our Gemtech G5 failed at 750 rounds.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

What's a "10-4 Forum"?
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I'm a newbie in many ways, and not as bright as many here, but I figured I'd throw in my average Joe thoughts.

First, that this thread has made it to 119 pages (and still ongoing) is in itself a testament to the freedom of discussion Mr. Silvers allows here. I know of several boards who do not let such controversy keep running or even ban those who disagree with the owners.

Second, if Mr. Silvers is perceived has having a cocky attitude (re: shirt thing, testing another's can and posting results, etc.) we must allow for the fact that the man is quite likely a certifiable genius. He's the real deal and sometimes it's hard for them to deal with the hoi poloi. That said, I hope to God or whatever higher power there may be that this place doesn't become like... well.. a certain forum run by a certain gentleman associated with certain 'special' weapons.

This brings a classic quote to mind:
“Yes, vanity is a weakness indeed. But pride—where there is real superiority of mind—pride will always be under good regulation.”
-- Mr. Darcy of Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice.'
PaulDixon

Post by PaulDixon »

Where did you happen to come across those Gemtech shirts?
Slick
Silent But Deadly

Post by Slick »

rsilvers wrote:The goal was to sell them all. In hindsight we overpriced them as they did not sell out.
I think most people were probably uncomfortable taking part in your juvenile antics. They were probably too polite to say so.

Fewer people commented favorably on your Gemtech t-shirt stunt than complained about the Gemtech SAR ad.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

They would have sold if it was an item people wanted.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

F--k Gemtech and F--k thier shirts.

If i put out Jordan shirts and nike shorts on my block for 50 fucking cents they'd sell out, even if the KKK was selling them.

Simple market economics...................
NFAtalk.org
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Selectedmarksman wrote:I'm a newbie in many ways, and not as bright as many here, but I figured I'd throw in my average Joe thoughts.

First, that this thread has made it to 119 pages (and still ongoing) is in itself a testament to the freedom of discussion Mr. Silvers allows here. I know of several boards who do not let such controversy keep running or even ban those who disagree with the owners.

Second, if Mr. Silvers is perceived has having a cocky attitude (re: shirt thing, testing another's can and posting results, etc.) we must allow for the fact that the man is quite likely a certifiable genius. He's the real deal and sometimes it's hard for them to deal with the hoi poloi. That said, I hope to God or whatever higher power there may be that this place doesn't become like... well.. a certain forum run by a certain gentleman associated with certain 'special' weapons.

This brings a classic quote to mind:
“Yes, vanity is a weakness indeed. But pride—where there is real superiority of mind—pride will always be under good regulation.”
-- Mr. Darcy of Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice.'
Thsi post is reallt good.

I like it.
NFAtalk.org
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: yep...

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

rsilvers wrote:
prdubi wrote: So far..all I can see is that Gemtech and Dater is a legend in the industry and everyone sees his wisdom as solid and with merit. What comes out of his mouth well..people listen...
He does give that image. However, I know AAC does not wish to be Gemtech, would never trade places with Gemtech, and I would not trade my knowledge of silencers for Phil Dater's. He does know the history of silencers and I do not. But I enjoy materials and design.
+1

and isn't Dater the Einstein that said you don't need to clean out silencers becasue you don't clean out your car muffler?

That's why everyone is racing to make .22 cans that clean out by the end user.................

golly Gee.
NFAtalk.org
PaulDixon

Post by PaulDixon »

How many do you have left, I want them. Ofcourse you wouldn't have these to display next time :roll: so you probably don't want to sell all of them.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

PaulDixon wrote:How many do you have left, I want them. Ofcourse you wouldn't have these to display next time :roll: so you probably don't want to sell all of them.
but them and AAC will sellthem too you.

Put your money where your mouth is..........
NFAtalk.org
PaulDixon

Post by PaulDixon »

OK, how many do you have left? How much for shipping to zip code 43081?
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

PaulDixon wrote:OK, how many do you have left? How much for shipping to zip code 43081?
Google AAC.

Call them.

Tell them your CC number.

They'll ship out.

It's easy in this day and age...............
NFAtalk.org
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I will find out what is left. Maybe some of those foamie hats too.
Slick
Silent But Deadly

Re: yep...

Post by Slick »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote: and isn't Dater the Einstein that said you don't need to clean out silencers becasue you don't clean out your car muffler?

That's why everyone is racing to make .22 cans that clean out by the end user.................

golly Gee.
ArevaloSOCOM wrote:Simple market economics...................
blahblah
Silent But Deadly

Post by blahblah »

Selectedmarksman wrote:I'm a newbie in many ways, and not as bright as many here, but I figured I'd throw in my average Joe thoughts.

Well, first off, this is 119 pages because every page is like 5 posts. :)
Secondly, keep in mind that those folks that run those boards wouldn't ban their own controversy. This isn't some third party useing these boards to take shots at someone.

That said, RSilvers obviously is secure enough in his findings to allow others to question them without worrying about banning these folks or editing posts. He doesn't run a board where they'll simply delete posts that are controversial, though he often edits/deletes himself and has deleted a couple of mine referencing them.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Dude -- I PMed you on the 12th saying that was a mistake. I can see you still did not even read that PM.
blahblah
Silent But Deadly

Post by blahblah »

rsilvers wrote:Dude -- I PMed you on the 12th saying that was a mistake. I can see you still did not even read that PM.
YOu got me there, didn't even see the private message. :)
Not sure if that's the first or second removed one, but it's not a big deal.

The whole "we allow more than other sites" thing has been blown out of proportion is all I'm saying here. The idea that you would close down the thread you started seems silly. :)
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Deleting or locking a thread started by an admin happens ALL THE TIME at one board I know of. Not going there for fear of another lawsuit threat.

On topic, I appreciate someone who has the money and the balls to push a can to it's failing point and share the results. To use average folk even one can is a huge investment and we want to be sure it's the right choice for performance and endurance.

I wonder if Mr. Silvers could come up with a standard torture test method and record videos of performing the same test on cans by different manufacturers. Providing there wasn't heavy editing surely even the most skeptical viewer couldn't argue with video tests.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Just do the test I did. I did not come up with it. I saw a SF group do it. It is not a destructive test but an endurance test. A good can would pass it. Since a few do, I have no use for any assault rifle can which cannot pass it.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Selectedmarksman wrote:Deleting or locking a thread started by an admin happens ALL THE TIME at one board I know of. Not going there for fear of another lawsuit threat.

On topic, I appreciate someone who has the money and the balls to push a can to it's failing point and share the results. To use average folk even one can is a huge investment and we want to be sure it's the right choice for performance and endurance.

I wonder if Mr. Silvers could come up with a standard torture test method and record videos of performing the same test on cans by different manufacturers. Providing there wasn't heavy editing surely even the most skeptical viewer couldn't argue with video tests.

If Robert did the test ,,no matter how it was done :P
SOME :wink: people would always find a reason to doubt the test
Even if it was just TO doubt it :evil:
There are people that just love to hate him :roll:Jeh get alife
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

"I understate what my cans will do so the customer gets a little more than he barganed for. I'd rather do that than make claims my products can't live up to." Philip Dater

Modern firearm silencers page 34
SC-Texas
Silent But Deadly

Post by SC-Texas »

Anyone have a link to the video?
http://www.TexasGunTrust.com

http://www.Houstonattorney.org

http://www.Atomiclabrat.com

Family and Criminal Law services in Houston, TX
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

I would never make a high powered rifle can with titanium insides rated for FA or hot firing like that. When hot enough Ti will absorb all most any thing form its environment and that will weaken the metal until it crumbles.
So much has changed since my last form 1
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Yup. It absorbs hydrogen, which is common in the water that forms when a gun shoots. Makes it brittle. Full auto Ti cans == bad.
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

Hydrogen is the big one, but Oxygen and Nitorgen can do it to.
I think hydrogen can embritle Ti even at room tempture.
I didn't know there was hydrogen in high power rifle muzzel blasts, I never thought about it. I guess you could have any of your elements in their free states when they are inside a fire ball like that.
So much has changed since my last form 1