Just Right Carbine

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Just Right Carbine

Post by MJF1911 »

I picked one of these up the other day. I got the 9mm one that takes G17 mags. Even though the wind was blowing pretty hard and it was cold I couldn't resist the urge to go run a couple mags through it. They are a lot of fun. I have a C-More railway optic on it.

They come threaded, the 9mm is 1/2x28; 40S&W is 9/16x24; 45ACP is .578x28. My Osprey looked pretty good on it but the threads are just a little too long so I ordered a spacer.

Anyway, two things come up. I'd like to stay subsonic for the suppressor, the easiest way is with 147 grain bullets. My Speer No.14 says not to use 147 grain bullets in barrels over 10". They say there won't be enough gas to push it out the barrel. I think that would be an issue with fast burning powders, but I'm going to use Blue Dot which I think would work fairly well.

The other thing I'm considering is that they are fairly easy to swap barrels out for the three cartridges and they are stamped multi cal. I'm considering having at least one barrel cut to 10" (probably the one I'll actually use with the suppressor). While this uses all standard AR parts, it doesn't have a separate lower like an AR. So I'd like to have an SBR. I really don't know much about the F1 SBR process other than it has to be engraved and can't be done until I get the stamp. I don't have a trust so what are the items to be engraved?

Thanks.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: Just Right Carbine

Post by MJF1911 »

Here is a video with the Osprey. The Federal 147 grain FMJ stayed subsonic in the 16" barrel, my reloads did not. The gun was very accurate with 147 grain bullets, holding under an inch at 25 yards. 115s were pretty much a shotgun pattern and 124s were about a 2" group. It was slightly less accurate with the Osprey attached.

SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Thanks for the vid. :D Looks like you had fun. Nevada? Arizona?

I would think that bolt would be loud but sound good. Make sure to check the primers after because I seen them have feeding and pressure issue. (Maybe fixed now?)

Strange about ammo, I use Win231 ( fast powder) and the 147gr FMJ bullets leave the 16" DDL Glock AR . These are the same lighter pistol loads I use.

Going to be SPR any way. :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Yea it was a lot of fun! I'm in Montana, we had a pretty nice day out and just can't waste that.

The bolt is loud but it doesn't sound obnoxious.

Good to know the faster powders will work, I'm going to load some different stuff up, Blue Dot was gassing me.