Pinned AR15 Silencer

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

jradz
Silent Operator

Pinned AR15 Silencer

Post by jradz »

Are there any pics floating around of the Thompson Machine Sixteen or Thirty disassembled?

I'm looking for something to pin to a DD MK18 upper ~10.3" (Washington doesn't allow SBRs). The Sixteen looks like a good candidate since it's "take apart" and thread-on.

Any others I should consider?
Last edited by jradz on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Thompson's Sixteen Pic Request / Pinned AR15 Silencer

Post by Bendersquint »

jradz wrote:Are there any pics floating around of the Thompson Machine Sixteen or Thirty disassembled?

I'm looking for something to pin to a DD MK18 upper ~10.3" (Washington doesn't allow SBRs). The Sixteen looks like a good candidate since it's "take apart" and thread-on.

Any others I should consider?
You don't need to take apart or clean your centerfire rifle cans.

Any thread on can is a better candidate.
jradz
Silent Operator

Post by jradz »

Bendersquint wrote: You don't need to take apart or clean your centerfire rifle cans.

I wasn't really thinking take apart for cleaning the can but instead cleaning the rifle.

How would you rate Liberty's and YHM's thread on options? Will they be close to the same suppression level as my SDN-6?

The Triumph (although not yet shipping) seems like a great option from a spec perspective. 7" OAL would ensure I would be over 16" and it sounds like it's internals are pretty solid. It's also less than half the weight of "The Sixteen".
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

jradz wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: You don't need to take apart or clean your centerfire rifle cans.

I wasn't really thinking take apart for cleaning the can but instead cleaning the rifle.

How would you rate Liberty's and YHM's thread on options? Will they be close to the same suppression level as my SDN-6?

The Triumph (although not yet shipping) seems like a great option from a spec perspective. 7" OAL would ensure I would be over 16" and it sounds like it's internals are pretty solid. It's also less than half the weight of "The Sixteen".
If you're asking about noise suppression on a Mk18, you have a bit to learn about rifle silencers. Noise suppression should be about 5th on the list of important factors, they are ALL going to be loud.

IMO... if you can't have SBRs, I would sooner pin a 14-14.5" with a probably QD mount than I would pin a can on a barrel... I guess if AAC ever ships them the Ranger3 would be my top choice for that. I also sure as hell would not permanently suppresses a standard Mk18, I'd try and get a suppressed-only / small gas port barrel.... Feel free to make your own mistakes though.
jradz
Silent Operator

Post by jradz »

este wrote: If you're asking about noise suppression on a Mk18, you have a bit to learn about rifle silencers. Noise suppression should be about 5th on the list of important factors, they are ALL going to be loud.

IMO... if you can't have SBRs, I would sooner pin a 14-14.5" with a probably QD mount than I would pin a can on a barrel... I guess if AAC ever ships them the Ranger3 would be my top choice for that. I also sure as hell would not permanently suppresses a standard Mk18, I'd try and get a suppressed-only / small gas port barrel.... Feel free to make your own mistakes though.
I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to talk down to people when responding on forums. Anyways, if you re-read you'll notice I wasn't asking if it would be quiet but if it would be similar to my SDN-6.

I did consider 14-14.5" but for the same reason others want a nice and short SBR to suppress, so do I. The only way I can do that though is to pin my suppressor so it's not really an "SBR".

Please describe my mistakes instead of just telling me I've made them (or about to). What are the downsides to pinning a suppressor to my MK18?

Thanks for your suggestion of the Ranger 3! That was originally what I was waiting for but I'd rather be waiting for a stamp than waiting for a release and then a stamp :).
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

jradz wrote: I did consider 14-14.5" but for the same reason others want a nice and short SBR to suppress, so do I. The only way I can do that though is to pin my suppressor so it's not really an "SBR".

Please describe my mistakes instead of just telling me I've made them (or about to). What are the downsides to pinning a suppressor to my MK18?

Thanks for your suggestion of the Ranger 3! That was originally what I was waiting for but I'd rather be waiting for a stamp than waiting for a release and then a stamp :).
If you've shot a 556 AR with an SDN6 then you should know quiet is not anything close to a concern. Nothing you will do is going to be hearing safe, short of making it a manual cyclic action. So, since sound and attachment should not be concerns, that leaves weight as the most important, but you pick to ask the question about the heaviest can I can think of.

Downsides to a pinned Mk18... Can't clean the barrel/muzzle, can't diagnose or fix baffle strikes which at 10.5" is sort of likely, more or less ruin that barrel if you ever want to remove the can, can not remove front sight, can not remove gas block, more limited rail and configuration options, no options for the unexpected like discovering you have a shitty chamber or too large a gas port or that barrel just doesn't shoot well etc, limiting a can to just one upper, a lot of wear and tear on the blast baffle (which you can not inspect) being 10.5 and thread on... those are just some, I'm sure there are more I'm just not thinking about.

I wouldn't do it. Over the additional 4 fucking inches a pinned 14" gets you. I don't even like a pinned 14 for some of those reasons, but considering a barrel is only around $200 or it's not the worst option in the world. It's not like you're tying up a stamp, can, and barrel. Besides, I yet to meet anyone serious that does a 10.5" and later does not change it to 11.5" or 12.5" which are just superior in every way (again, my opinion) so I wouldn't do s--t to a 10.5" at all. In that case, you're talking 2-3" to get you to 14.whatever pinned.

If it's a toy, yea, sure pin whatever you like to it. If it even sort of might be a tool, I'd stick with an unpinned longer gun any day.

Agreed on the Ranger3, it's only the same insides of a can that AAC has been making for 5-6 years, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to bring it to market. Short of the Ranger3, if I absolutely had to have a thread on can.... AAC Ranger2, Gemtech Trek, maybe one of the HTGs if they still exist, SAS has an OK part but I think there is Ti in there iirc and you don't want that for a shorty. I would probably do a Liberty can before the Thomspon sixteen as those things are STUPID heavy.

I would investigate my actual "need" for an SBR before I pinned a Mk18 clone. But yea, I wouldn't ever do a 10.x Mk18 over an 11.x either.

That gets me thinking though, if I had to have an SBR AR in a non-SBR state, I might consider a 300black 8" or 9" with a pinned Cyclone or something. That actually seems fairly useful compared to a pinned Mk18.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I have close to 5K through my 10.5" and never had a baffle strike.

In my experience you are no more likely to have a strike on a 10.5" than a 16".
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Bendersquint wrote:I have close to 5K through my 10.5" and never had a baffle strike.

In my experience you are no more likely to have a strike on a 10.5" than a 16".
Read the OP's post, then tell me that isn't exactly the guy who pins a barrel on and immediately gets a baffle strike :) Murphy's law and all
jradz
Silent Operator

Post by jradz »

este wrote:Read the OP's post, then tell me that isn't exactly the guy who pins a barrel on and immediately gets a baffle strike :) Murphy's law and all
Thanks for another helpful post :roll:. Este you seem really concerned about my being concerned about suppression level. Most of us on this forum are concerned about suppression level or we wouldn't be interested in suppressors :).

I have other 16" uppers so I was hoping not to turn this into "why do you need a sbr". I don't need one, I want one.

Getting a "takedown" can would solve some of the problems you described; which is why I originally asked about Thompson's Sixteen. There really isn't much out there for take down 5.56 or 7.62 cans; for obvious reasons.

From what I've read around here, the Ranger 2 doesn't fare well against the latest generation of suppressors. Gemtech has build quality issues. HTG was advised against in several threads (mainly because it was being sold I think). Haven't read much about SAS.

Liberty, Thompson and YHM seem to have gotten pretty good reviews. It's hard to tell who is just happy/proud of what they have and who is actually criticizing the customer service, build quality and comparing to other available options. For my 6 other cans I've stuck to AAC(Ti-Rant 9, SDN-6), SWR(Octane 9 HD2, Spectre 2, and pending Octane 45), and SilencerCo (SS Sparrow) because their products are universally thought well of. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a product that's available and fits my needs for this project though.

Does getting a take down model not seem like a good idea for a pinned suppressor?

Given I'm willing to accept or find ways around the issues of having a pinned non-take down suppressor. What cans/manufacturers are recommended?
psode27

Post by psode27 »

Take this for what it's worth, im kinda a newb, but Huntertown arms has a takedown can for 5.56 that may be worth looking at. I don't know if being able to take off parts of the can (making it shorter than 16") is okay though, never considered what you describe. Good luck though!
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Enjoy.
jradz
Silent Operator

Post by jradz »

psode27 wrote:Take this for what it's worth, im kinda a newb, but Huntertown arms has a takedown can for 5.56 that may be worth looking at. I don't know if being able to take off parts of the can (making it shorter than 16") is okay though, never considered what you describe. Good luck though!
Thanks for the recommendation! Being able to take parts off the can and making it shorter than 16" is not allowed. That was my motivation for the picture request of Thompson's Sixteen, depending on how it comes apart .... it'll be legal or it wont :).
jradz
Silent Operator

Post by jradz »

Found something similar to what I'm trying to accomplish .... Sig's MPX-C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 2CA#t=133s

Do any 5.56 cans currently on the market take down in a similar way?

The inverse would be fine too - the core comes out but the tube stays permanently attached.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jradz wrote:Found something similar to what I'm trying to accomplish .... Sig's MPX-C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 2CA#t=133s

Do any 5.56 cans currently on the market take down in a similar way?

The inverse would be fine too - the core comes out but the tube stays permanently attached.
No nothing on the market takes down like that.

Why are you so dead set on being able to clean a centerfire rifle can?
jradz
Silent Operator

Post by jradz »

Bendersquint wrote: No nothing on the market takes down like that.

Why are you so dead set on being able to clean a centerfire rifle can?
jradz wrote: I wasn't really thinking take apart for cleaning the can but instead cleaning the rifle.
jradz wrote: Does getting a take down model not seem like a good idea for a pinned suppressor?

Given I'm willing to accept or find ways around the issues of having a pinned non-take down suppressor. What cans/manufacturers are recommended?
Just trying to find the "best" option. Thanks for your response!
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Re: Pinned AR15 Silencer

Post by seattlite »

How about a barrel shroud extension(similar to the Tactical Solutions SBX) and a thread on can(or the Saker). Anyone one make an SBX type AR15(.223/5.56) barrel?
jradz
Silent Operator

Post by jradz »

seattlite wrote:How about a barrel shroud extension(similar to the Tactical Solutions SBX) and a thread on can(or the Saker). Anyone one make an SBX type AR15(.223/5.56) barrel?
Hmm, that would be an interesting approach.

My first impression is that I probably wouldn't like it but I'll give it some thought, thanks for the recommendation!
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Maybe Retzadog can make some AR15(.223/5.56) SBX like barrels for his WA State hommies?
jradz
Silent Operator

Post by jradz »

seattlite wrote:Maybe Retzadog can make some AR15(.223/5.56) SBX like barrels for his WA State hommies?
Retzadog?
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Sorry....its "redtazdog"....he makes some really barrels and cool Form 1 stuff.
ScorpioMk

Post by ScorpioMk »

A sbx style extension my be the ticket then you can use that sdn6 you already have. Should be pretty easy to do and if you used the right rail you could probably make it look half decent. I planned on it for a long time but ended up building a pistol instead. I'm just hoping those assholes take their thumbs out their butts and put the fucking sbr bill up for a vote already.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

I wonder if it would meet the legal length requirement if you had an "L" shaped piece of steel welded to the end of the barrel and offset to 6 o' clock. If legal, this would allow the use of whatever suppressor you wanted and be lighter and provide better access than a permanently mounted barrel shroud.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

aries14482 wrote:I wonder if it would meet the legal length requirement if you had an "L" shaped piece of steel welded to the end of the barrel and offset to 6 o' clock. If legal, this would allow the use of whatever suppressor you wanted and be lighter and provide better access than a permanently mounted barrel shroud.
I am sure it would pass kuster as it brings the barrel length up to the 16" requirement, regardless to how retarded it looks. ATF doesnt have requirements for appeal.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

ScorpioMk wrote:A sbx style extension my be the ticket then you can use that sdn6 you already have. Should be pretty easy to do and if you used the right rail you could probably make it look half decent. I planned on it for a long time but ended up building a pistol instead. I'm just hoping those assholes take their thumbs out their butts and put the fucking sbr bill up for a vote already.
how will you push in the latch on an AAC can when you have a shroud over that area?
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

"That's retarded." "[gasp!] That's so insensitive!" "Oh, you're right I'm sorry. That's so special needs." :lol:

The idea with the "L" shaped piece was to allow the can to be used without the added weight and attachment limitations you get with a full shroud. I don't think it would look bad if it were made to fit closely to a 1.5" can, assuming you intended to run the can full-time. I think it's a much better solution than welding a can on. 8)