Mark III Integral .22 SRT Arms or S&H Arms?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

blackgold

Mark III Integral .22 SRT Arms or S&H Arms?

Post by blackgold »

Hello,
I am wanting to purchase my first integral Mark III .22. I have narrowed it down to two choices but there are still a few questions.
SRT Arms
Pros
1)Plenty of documentation on SPL and bullet velocities
2)Like the shorter 7.1" barrel vs. 8.75" barrel S&H offers
3)Should be lightweight and maybe within a few ounces as the original 5.5" bull barrel gun
3)Cost is the same $625 for either one

Cons
1)Can not clean the baffle stack and according to Doug require a complete breakdown every 12-14K rounds which costs ~$150. To me this is a big deal as you would always be faced with sending the tube back in.

S&H Arms
Pros
1)Baffle stack can be cleaned and dissembled by the user
2)S&H is located in state so wouldn't need to wait or pay for the transfer fee to a in state class III dealer. (would save about 12 weeks and $100)
3)Supposedly he had the design that was given to Johns Guns, which i have read high reviews on.
4)Virtually no wait time on building tube as per my conversation with Curtis last week.

Cons
1)I don't like the longer tube length of 8.75"
2)wish there was more documentation on SPL and bullet velocity data.
3)The weight of the gun will probably be heavier but maybe more durable?

So am i correct in my points listed above? Can S&H build a shorter barrel without compromising SPL and bullet velocities? Has S&H kept up with new technology and adjusted accordingly? Is SRT the way to go?

Please any comments, corrections or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Re: Mark III Integral .22 SRT Arms or S&H Arms?

Post by rogerme »

Not one of you're choices but I have the YHM mkiii and have nothing but great things to say about it. I have put ALLOT of rounds through it and still runs great. Monocore is stainless as well as the tube and the tube can be removed as easy as the monocore can making cleaning super easy. This is a favorite of all the kids ( big and small ) on range days. I also recommend if you get a mkii integral also buy a "ultimate clip loader" it makes life so much better.

"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
rat_dogratty
Silent But Deadly

Post by rat_dogratty »

I don't have experience with your choices, but I have had an integral ruger since the mid 90's. Mine is fully serviceable, but it is still a huge pain to clean. Must clean it every 1000 rnds or so if you want to get it apart. I can't imagine 12k. Mine would be totally solid with fouling. The aluminum baffles will only really come clean with soda blasting. Really prefer the stainless ones in my other .22 can.

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is, IF your buying ANY rimfire can these days make sure you can service it yourself, and the easier the better. Dip, etc.

I understand the desire for the integral, I wanted mine really bad, but now I rarely shoot it because I hate cleaning it.
sopootto

Post by sopootto »

Well its a good thing your asking this, cause I have a mark 3 with SRT arms 7.1" integral. Its very accurate, but I just figured you could clean it yourself. Now that I have it I realized its sealed up. :cry: I would think these days all suppressors for .22lr would be end user servicable.

Does anyone know if I can remove it and drop the whole suppressor section in my ultrasonic cleaner??
With .22 I like to clean at about 400 rounds.

Also certain winchester 333rnd packs of hp ammo wont extract, like every other round :evil:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

sopootto wrote:Well its a good thing your asking this, cause I have a mark 3 with SRT arms 7.1" integral. Its very accurate, but I just figured you could clean it yourself. Now that I have it I realized its sealed up. :cry: I would think these days all suppressors for .22lr would be end user servicable.

Does anyone know if I can remove it and drop the whole suppressor section in my ultrasonic cleaner??
With .22 I like to clean at about 400 rounds.

Also certain winchester 333rnd packs of hp ammo wont extract, like every other round :evil:
Thats one of the reasons we can make them serviceable and our integral will be 100% user serviceable!

The SRT baffles are not anodized, you will damage the baffles in the ultrasonic.
blackgold

Post by blackgold »

Bender squint,
So you can jailbreak a SRT integral? How much does that cost and what are the possible downsides to doing this? Wonder why they don't make them with SS? I suspect because of the weight factor? For the S&H model does anyone think a 8.75" barrel is too long? Tanks for the replies.
blackgold

Post by blackgold »

Sopootto,
So by being ale to clean the expansion chamber that doesn't get it clean enough? Why not just shoot the recommended 12-14k rounds and send it back in to be rebuilt?
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

elite iron makes one.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

blackgold wrote:Bender squint,
So you can jailbreak a SRT integral? How much does that cost and what are the possible downsides to doing this? Wonder why they don't make them with SS? I suspect because of the weight factor? For the S&H model does anyone think a 8.75" barrel is too long? Tanks for the replies.
Sure we can jailbreak it, we have done a bunch of them.

There are no possible downsides to it.

The only reason I can see that they aren't anodized is because they did not want to spend the money on it.

I suspect that the reason is more COST than weight.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
sopootto

Post by sopootto »

rogerme wrote:Image
I like this option,
Is that an SRT built? my barrel does not look like that.

what is the big deal with anodizing??

I do love the sound reduction and the stealth options of this Mark iii

Mr doug melton told me that I could run it through an ultrasonic cleaner. Is that not right??
sopootto

Post by sopootto »

blackgold wrote:Sopootto,
So by being ale to clean the expansion chamber that doesn't get it clean enough? Why not just shoot the recommended 12-14k rounds and send it back in to be rebuilt?
Yea, I think that screen is supposed to catch a lot of the crap, I have only had it for about 2 months so I cant say how it is gonna end up at the 10K mark.

Also I hate having to send stuff to manufactures for service, my dad is a great gunsmith so i use him for any repairs. When it comes to suppressors they are somewhat new to him. Last thing I always think if s--t goes south in this world I don't want to end up with a plugged suppressor. when UPS or FED-EX no longer exist.

-Otto
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

As stated mine is a YHM. Underrated and overlooked by many. I shoot he s--t out of it and love. it.

Clint Smith
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

rogerme, does the YHM have a ported barrel? It wouldn't seem needed for a length of less than four inches.

There is one in Cody for msrp. I'm going to pic up a mk2 tonight for a future project. I paid 275.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

SRM wrote:rogerme, does the YHM have a ported barrel? It wouldn't seem needed for a length of less than four inches.

There is one in Cody for msrp. I'm going to pic up a mk2 tonight for a future project. I paid 275.
No it is not ported.

Clint Smith
AZDoug
Industry Professional

Post by AZDoug »

Ultrasonic cleaning removes anodizing., so it basically pointless and a waste of time on suppressor parts. Google it yourself if you don't believe me.

We seal the baffle stack because people tend to put them back together wrong, and then have accuracy problems or baffle strikes, or damage the baffles pounding them out because they waited too long to take them apart after they "were jailbroke".

You can't make the quietest Integral MkIII in the world , and also have removable baffles, or monocores. (US Army tests at Ft Bragg in 2012, and yes we got the contract to supply just under 100 integral MkIIIs. Elite Iron didn't, YH didn't, Johns didn't, I am not sure who the other three competitors were).

Our integral was 4 db quieter than the closest competitor, most accurate and most reliable, all in a 6.9" long suppressor tube. The evaluation teams said: 'No ones elses gun even came close", "your gun ran away from the competition", "The rest weren't even in the same ball park as your gun". All three teams unanimously picked our gun. I can't tell you who bought them, but figure out for yourselves who would use this gun. We offer the same thing as an option to civilians, we refer to it as The Government model, it is a variation of the Professional civvie model, the differences are covered on our webpage.

ALL of our integral MkII/III have removable tubes to clean the expansion chamber, ports,and allows access to both sides of the baffle stack.

Regular cleaning every 500 rounds or so will extend the life of the baffle stack, but if it does clog up, we offer a complete new baffle stack rebuild for $150, with all new internal parts, so after you spend $900 on ammo thru the gun, an extra $150 isn't a bad deal for a brand new suppressor.

Or, if you want a second or third rate gun, get a take a apart one.

Doug
http://www.srtarms.com
AZDoug
Industry Professional

Post by AZDoug »

BTW: here is a pic of one of the Government guns.

Doug
http://www.srtarms.com

gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

I have the fairly new AWC Amphibian on a Mark 3 in FDE. It is totally user maintainable and quieter than any other Ruger integrally suppressed .22 pistol I have shot. The guys that make them recommend spraying some Rem oil down the tube and man is the difference noticeable over a dry unit. I think the machining is the the best in the industry... they've been doing it since the 70's when Phil Dater (now of Gemtech) worked there. It is a baffled unit which I prefer over monocores... no noticeable frp when used wet, quieter overall than monocores... so they take a little more work to clean, wahhh.... also the Amphibian is designed to be totally up-gradable to the next version of internals.... It is insanely quiet if you use CCI Quiet 22's! will not even begin to function the action but with no bolt noise and not leaving your brass everywhere, its pretty cool....
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

gsyoung54 wrote:I have the fairly new AWC Amphibian on a Mark 3 in FDE. It is totally user maintainable and quieter than any other Ruger integrally suppressed .22 pistol I have shot. The guys that make them recommend spraying some Rem oil down the tube and man is the difference noticeable over a dry unit. I think the machining is the the best in the industry... they've been doing it since the 70's when Phil Dater (now of Gemtech) worked there. It is a baffled unit which I prefer over monocores... no noticeable frp when used wet, quieter overall than monocores... so they take a little more work to clean, wahhh.... also the Amphibian is designed to be totally up-gradable to the next version of internals.... It is insanely quiet if you use CCI Quiet 22's! will not even begin to function the action but with no bolt noise and not leaving your brass everywhere, its pretty cool....

I also own the AWC Amphibian and have been buying their products since the early 80's...
The Amphibian is the quietest .22 setup I own and I have every new .22 can out there.... I always use RemOil in it to shoot wet, there is no back splatter, and I have a lot of the CCI "Quiet .22's" to play with. Ridiculously quiet with those not cycling the action!
George
George from Alaska