Do these Silencerco ads seem like a good idea to ANYONE?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

este
Silent But Deadly

Do these Silencerco ads seem like a good idea to ANYONE?

Post by este »

That stupid Bushmaster "Get your man card" ad series was a colossal F--k up that the media latched on to, used it as propaganda against gun owners, casting as red neck testosterone filled assholes who should not be allowed near guns....

So what would these say during a media fueled rage against silencer ownership after a tragedy???
http://www.superiorsilence.com/collecti ... treet-lamp
http://www.superiorsilence.com/collecti ... us-muffler
http://www.superiorsilence.com/collecti ... hboros-dog

I'd bet at least one of those is a felony.

Who the F--k thought these were a good idea? Come on silencerco, really? This ad is exactly like a 450hp car ad that says the speed limit is 55mph, but the implication is you're going to break that because you can. These are imo, in very poor taste and do not reflect well on silencer owners. Disappointing. I wouldn't do anything of these things, silencerco isn't saying that I should, and I realize that because I'm not an idiot, but guess who makes laws... .... .... Idiots.

I don't really care, and it's not a huge deal, but these just do no seem like a good idea given the political climate. With states fighting to get silencers for hunting, it seems like a horrible idea to talk about the illegal "things you could get away with".
btb601
Silent But Deadly

Re: Do these Silencerco ads seem like a good idea to ANYONE?

Post by btb601 »

I completely agree.
I see how it could reach more sales by targeting todays youths' way of thinking.
It's just wrong in my book.
DarkPhoenix
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DarkPhoenix »

When I first saw the ad i thought that it was silly, wait 6 month to shoot your neighbor's dog?!?! But, in reality, it is poor advertising. Sure they are saying not to do it, but you should not even say not to do it. I suppose it is good that the liberal media machine has not made an issue of it.
ariwhiteboy
Silent Operator

Post by ariwhiteboy »

I saw these a few weeks ago and wasn't too pleased.

I agree that S Co. isn't suggesting you do this and they're well within every letter of the law I can think of, but it just doesn't sit well.

To me it kinda comes off as, "Well, here's what you shouldn't do...we'll tell you because we all know what irresponsible people might gravitate to our product!"

Yeah, all we need is one of thee ads popping up on NBC with Matt Lauer screaming "Look at what people can do with Silencers! The company themselves even admit this is a possible use!" And someone getting the idea that "if it saves even one streetlamp..."
It is a very sad man who requires his opinions to be validated by those around him.

SWR Spectre II (Pending)
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I think using foul language on public gun forums is worse than their humor ad's. :cry:

And If they use F-bomb all the time like you? :idea:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

I read them as silencers are legal, but they should not be used inappropriately.

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
jradz
Silent Operator

Post by jradz »

Bad idea. We don't want anyone thinking about how silencers could be used for such things.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I agree with you Este, I think it portrays the silencer industry poorly. It draws undesireable attention.

Yes, silencers are legal but we have enough to overcome from Hollywood misconceptions/myths, we shouldn't give the anti-crowd more ammunition to use against us by giving them suggestions of what all of us 'evil silencer owners' can do with these toys. It should be about hearing protection not stealth attacks on things that piss you off!

I personally think its a bad idea.
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

I also agree it's a bad idea. One of those maybe good in theory, but bad to actually follow though with....
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I'm not one to immediately be offended by such idiocy, but the one about "taking out" your neighbor's dog so you can get some sleep is especially fucked up, the dog needs to die because the owner is an asshole? (I'm not one to be put off by bad words either, it's the internet Sally. Buckle Up.) The idea that you need to say in an Ad that it's not ok to shoot your neighbor's dog is sort of actually offensive to me, but would be goddamn wrath of god to everyone from PETA to Peirs Morgan.

It's a no win, and I am having trouble believing the company that came out with Sparrow SS, Osprey, Saker, and a main part of the Silencer Association could be so shortsighted. These aren't even "good" posters if you were into the idea, they're kind of bland. Say what you will about AAC, their "Silencing is not a crime" and "Make love loudly, Make war silently" were exactly how silencers can be marketed without going off the deep end.

Maybe Silencerco wants the press like Bushmaster got? Because if people lost their s--t about the "Man Card" ads they would go berserk over these.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

mbogo wrote:I read them as silencers are legal, but they should not be used inappropriately.

mbogo
"Don't lie for the other guy" and Eddie the Eagle promote appropriateness.

This is exactly like saying "Don't pirate movies on using the http://www.uTorrent.com/ program and links from http://ThePirateBay.se, you won't get caught but it's wrong. Ok, so totally don't do it."

There are states looking to pass silencers for hunting right now using the correct reasoning that they are safety devices for the hunter and people around them. All someone from the opposition legislature needs to do is see these and use their floor time to reinforce silencers are clearly used for crimes. Bam, law not passed because someone approved lame $10 posters.

It could only be more inappropriate if the ads had Chris Dorner as a spokesperson on them.
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

I agree it is pretty douchey to put out. I could see a young full of pep person suggesting the idea but to be approved by all, printed and put out seems like a lack of judement on many sides.

Schlitz Malt liquor- Get her drunk as F--k, but don't rape her when she is passed out!
Last edited by 1mobum on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Humor used at the worst possible time. Trash the posters and start over. Or give them all out to existing customers :wink:
KSmoker

Post by KSmoker »

Why not have various Ads showing individual profiles of how an owner uses a silencer to their benefit? I think showing someone how their existing shooting activity can be improved by using a silencer/suppressor would be massively more beneficial then what you shouldn't do. Couple of thoughts come to mind: Pistol Instructors, Long Range Marksman, Varmint Hunters, Big Game hunters, etc...
Last edited by KSmoker on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

These ads are so old I was still reading Recoil when I found them. It was humurous and it let readers of magazines know these items were in fact legal, still difficult to explain to people I meet. At the time we weren't in a media s--t storm and we were still allowed to have senses of humor, now I see that has been regulated. I realize that now those may be counter productive to the cause, but the silencer industry also has to attempt to grow by bringing in new buyers and the "Ole jimmy used this can at the appleseed shoot" is not what is bringing in most new shooters.

Also don't forget that Silencerco/SWR is quickly becoming the face of the industry, they're the ones with all the youtube videos testing db's, they are the ones promoting the ASA, and they are the one's who based their ad campaign on making awareness of silencers to other gun owners (which helps increase all silencer purchases).

When Chevy is using an ad of Jeff Gordon hauling ass in a camaro with an suspecting car salesman riding shotgun and hits the front page of CNN, I think the extra scrutiny against the gun owners is to say the least unfair and while he deal with the reality of it, we don't need to become the most oatmeal PC people because of it. Because then the terrorist have really won.
Last edited by laxguy59 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Not a good idea. Bad for mass distribution.

Now that it's been said, I'll take one of each. They are sure to be a collectors item amongst friends. Dark humor rocks! :)
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gary_SilencerCo »

Those posters are about 3 years old now. It was intended as a humorous way to draw attention to the fact Silencers ARE legal and aren't used primarily for illegal things. It has been effective. Many new users/owners have been made aware and the dealers who have put the signs up rave about them and how effective they are at starting the conversation. Anything can be used against us...and will. I've seen far more Risque ads, even in the silencer world...something about a kitten and a can.
The ad was intended to draw attention to common misconceptions within the shooting public about Silencer ownership AND usage. Those are humorous examples of the things we have heard people say about "What would I want with a silencer? I might shoot my neighbors dog", etc , etc, etc....the things we all hear right after someone initially finds out silencers ARE legal and wonders why someone would want one.
Then comes the opportunity to explain them for what they are, personal protective equipment and a safety enhancement. The ad served its purpose and continues to do so at gun stores across the country.

Since then, the silencers are legal campaign has since taken a much different look and feel and I believe continues to be effective...We have directly aided through the ASA the legalization of hunting in many states, proof of the overall effectiveness of the campaign. Many legislators in many states have had a chuckle about the poster, I know because I was there. We do still have the posters and they do continue to be effective at their established goal. Any marketing we do with humor injected will have critics, not everyone has the same sense of humor. I find Zombie marketing and products childish, but people sure seem to love it and as long as people do, it will continue to be done. So if you found the ads offensive because of "Potential" misuse by our enemies, We are sorry. I can only speak to the GOOD they have already done as people in TX, AZ, WY, OK who will reap the benefit hunting with silencers this fall.
In order to help get these offensive posters off the market for Este, and prevent their potential misuse we will send at no charge, a poster and a sticker pack (Full of other potentially offensive little gems, like "Always wear protection" or Ralph Waldo Emerson quotes) to Silencertalk members who email their contact info to [email protected] within the next 48 hours and say "I want an offensive poster and sticker" please include your screen name.

:D
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
KSmoker

Post by KSmoker »

Ooh Free stuff!
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Gary_SilencerCo wrote:Those are humorous examples of the things we have heard people say
... Are they?

Ok, whatever you say, I can't see them being a hit because they seem tacky and a bad idea for the company. It's really of no concern to me. For what it's worth, I'm sure someone at Bushmaster was real happy with the Man Card Ads... You know who wasn't happy with those ads (besides execs and PR at Bushmaster)? Me, I wasn't happy when they were used portray gun owners (in this case what would be silencer owners) in a way that does not need to be exaggerated.

But anyhow... The title of the post has been answered. Silencerco seems to think these ads are a good idea, I was just figuring they made it past management and were a mistake. But what do I know?
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! Y' all rock.

Electronic mail inbound!

Strobro32 Out!
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

strobro32 wrote:SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! Y' all rock.

Electronic mail inbound!

Strobro32 Out!
Our plan to get you free posters worked! ;)
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

I guess I'm alone in thinking this ad campaign was really funny.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
nbw123

Post by nbw123 »

They are hilarious. I will hang them in my garage but.........its not good press if the libs spin it like they do everything gun related.
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gary_SilencerCo »

They'll spin whatever, however they want anyhow. Enjoy the posters and stickers
Please don't vandalize with the stickers, it could be used against us.
:wink:
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
tws317

Post by tws317 »

Email sent? Woohoo free stuff!