Savage SR .308 threaded barrel

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Savage SR .308 threaded barrel

Post by rcn11thacr »

I think my bug has bitten the old man... He has gone out and bought this Savage with the knowledge that i've got a Mystic in the pipeline. Both of us also reload. How will the barrel length of the SR affect my mystic and are there any recomendations for hand loading with this combo?
Last edited by rcn11thacr on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhorse Scout
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Re: Savage SR .308 threaded barrel

Post by johndoe3 »

Subsonic 308 -- use Trailboss powder
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

johndoe3 wrote:Subsonic 308 -- use Trailboss powder
or Titegroup.
Bird
Silent Operator

Post by Bird »

I'm working up sub loads for my Axis using 180gr RN and 220gr RN bullets, Trailboss and large magnum primers. Current recipe for the 180's is 11.5 grains Trailboss with a 2.753" COAL. I'm going to the range this week to chrono these loads to fine tune. Looking for 1050 fps. They are stable out to 100yds and am able to get MOA groups at 100yds, subsonic and quiet through my Cyclone. Will start on the 220gr bullet loads soon.

A buddy of mine uses 13.8 grains of trailboss with 220 grain RN bullets through a Rem 700 AAC SD. I'll get his recipe when I get off work and post it up for you.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

Bird wrote:I'm working up sub loads for my Axis using 180gr RN and 220gr RN bullets, Trailboss and large magnum primers. Current recipe for the 180's is 11.5 grains Trailboss with a 2.753" COAL. I'm going to the range this week to chrono these loads to fine tune. Looking for 1050 fps. They are stable out to 100yds and am able to get MOA groups at 100yds, subsonic and quiet through my Cyclone. Will start on the 220gr bullet loads soon.

A buddy of mine uses 13.8 grains of trailboss with 220 grain RN bullets through a Rem 700 AAC SD. I'll get his recipe when I get off work and post it up for you.
Thanks, I appreciate this along with the other replys.
Blackhorse Scout
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

One thing to consider with 308 Subsonic is that you can even use brass where the primer pocket is a little loose for full power loads. The brass will last a long time because it is low power. Precision weighing of subsonic powder loads yields good results.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
Bird
Silent Operator

Post by Bird »

Sub recipe update:

Buddy shooting 220grain Hornady round nose, 13.8 grains of Trailboss, magnum primers, 2.778" COAL. Right at 1000 fps at 15' from muzzle. 22" barrel with 1:10 twist.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.