Help with a Maxim 1923 silencer

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help with a Maxim 1923 silencer

Post by Enfield577 »

That looks just about identical to an old Britsh Paker Hale Suppressor that I have
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

This post brings back memories.
When I got back here in '07 and acquired internet service... I found Silencertalk. :lol:
My second posting here was on a new in tube Maxim Silencer that my father had.
Dad pasted away in last year, his collection of those early NFA items I inherited.
Everything is in secured storage and I'm not able to get to those suppressors to take new pictures.
One member here offered big bucks if he had a spare original cardboard tube
So don't throw that tube out. :shock:
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Enfield577 wrote:That looks just about identical to an old Britsh Paker Hale Suppressor that I have
Which model? The classic pre-War II multiple disk model, embossed surface, or the rarer empty tube
with just a snorkel protruding back ⅔ into the tube from the front cap?

It would be great to see some close ups.

Best.
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Historian wrote:
Enfield577 wrote:That looks just about identical to an old Britsh Paker Hale Suppressor that I have
Which model? The classic pre-War II multiple disk model, embossed surface, or the rarer empty tube
with just a snorkel protruding back ⅔ into the tube from the front cap?

It would be great to see some close ups.

Best.
It is the multiple disc type, as per the Maxim above, I will get some photos later

Cheers
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Bendersquint wrote:Nothing confusing about it, the only C&R's out there in the NFA world are MG's.

Everything is controlled by the NFA, just MG's have a subcategory of C&R, and are controlled the same but handled a little differently in regards to transfers.
Interesting. ATF doesn't seem to agree with you, though. The ATF C&R publication, found at http://www.atf.gov/publications/downloa ... 300-11.pdf lists a bunch of non-MG guns that are C&R and also NFA. Starting on pg. 46, I see several examples of Destructive Devices, AOWs, short-barreled shotguns, and short-barreled rifles.

That section lists specific models of firearm that ATF considers C&R, outside of any other criteria. While I do not see any model of silencer specifically noted, there is a listing for an original High Standard .22 pistol originally equipped with a silencer. It would not make sense to include this in the NFA section of the C&R list if the silencer was excluded from C&R status, since the pistol alone is not an NFA firearm.

In addition to the specific models listed, there is still the criteria listed in 27 CFR 478.11 which states:
Curios or relics. Firearms which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
(a) Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;...

Since a silencer is also defined as a firearm, it stands to reason the C&R definition would apply here to any 50-year-old silencer as well.
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Do u know the value with original tube