Federal AE 9mm 147gr Round Nose?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

everyusernametaken
Senior Silent Operator

Federal AE 9mm 147gr Round Nose?

Post by everyusernametaken »

I've seen some old posts from several years ago mentioning the round nose version of AE 9mm 147-grain, the variant with the "toxic metal free primers", but nothing recent. What is the general consensus on these? Are they comparable to the more common flat nose AE 147 cartridges? As clean? Velocity?

I want to make sure they're not something to be avoided, like the Winchester "super clean" ammo.
qballis
Silent Operator

Re: Federal AE 9mm 147gr Round Nose?

Post by qballis »

everyusernametaken wrote:I've seen some old posts from several years ago mentioning the round nose version of AE 9mm 147-grain, the variant with the "toxic metal free primers", but nothing recent. What is the general consensus on these? Are they comparable to the more common flat nose AE 147 cartridges? As clean? Velocity?

I want to make sure they're not something to be avoided, like the Winchester "super clean" ammo.
I have a ton of the flat point stuff. Don't have any real experience with the older round nose version. Flat nose AE seem a little dirtier and louder than most other stuff I shoot through a 9mm can.
everyusernametaken
Senior Silent Operator

Post by everyusernametaken »

qballis wrote:
everyusernametaken wrote:I've seen some old posts from several years ago mentioning the round nose version of AE 9mm 147-grain, the variant with the "toxic metal free primers", but nothing recent. What is the general consensus on these? Are they comparable to the more common flat nose AE 147 cartridges? As clean? Velocity?

I have a ton of the flat point stuff. Don't have any real experience with the older round nose version. Flat nose AE seem a little dirtier and louder than most other stuff I shoot through a 9mm can.
Yeah, the AE flat point stuff is pretty gritty, and leaves little copper jacket fragments in my 9mm can. I don't see those pieces after shooting Fiocchi 158gr. The AE 147 is definitely marginal, but I've read worse things about the Winchester Super Clean, or whatever it's called. Also heard bad things about Remington 147gr.

Another difference is that the AE round-nose cartridges are TMJ rather than FMJ. I was wondering if the total jacket might keep from fragmenting as much as the FMJ does...
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

I used to have the round nose AE 147gr and loved it. I only bought 500rnds so when I re-ordered, I bought 2000rnds. Well the new shipment was the flat point stuff. It hasn't had any issues feeding which is the most important thing to me, and I think the flat point might be loaded a bit hotter but not certain on it.
qballis
Silent Operator

Post by qballis »

kaotic504 wrote:I used to have the round nose AE 147gr and loved it. I only bought 500rnds so when I re-ordered, I bought 2000rnds. Well the new shipment was the flat point stuff. It hasn't had any issues feeding which is the most important thing to me, and I think the flat point might be loaded a bit hotter but not certain on it.
I never have feeding issues with the flat nose stuff when shooting it through a pistol. Whenever I try to run it through my Glock mag fed 9mm AR 1 in about every 10 rounds won't allow the bolt to fully cycle forward.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I really like it, its very clean and very accurate. It was subsonic even in a 16" barrel and functioned my carbine every time. It also feeds well from glock mags.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K