Some Suppressor related Kydex.....

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

cms81586
Silent Operator

Some Suppressor related Kydex.....

Post by cms81586 »

Just a few things I've made recently. Any other ideas that would make for a good can related project?

CMS

Different kind of can...:

D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Re: Some Suppressor related Kydex.....

Post by D9M9TR9S »

Sweet set up :D
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

very nice
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Unique!

Nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
cms81586
Silent Operator

Post by cms81586 »

Another one I made for someone.

ducati
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ducati »

I was thinking of making a similar holster, but leaving the front open, sort of like a speed or competition holster.

The gun should stay in place by the formed sandwich of the Kydex, but could simply pull forward out of the front instead of having to come up and up until the suppressor clears the top.

Anyone ever see or make something like this?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

A standing 'O'. Well done.

Would you give a short precise on the how's, such as the material
acquisition, molding techniques, etc. It could prove useful in
many other applications.

Best.
Louis
Silent Operator

Post by Louis »

I looked at your profile and there is no way to contact you except by posting on the forum. Do you have a web site? how do I order a holster? What options? How much?
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it."- John Galt("Atlas Shrugged"-Ayn Rand)
ariwhiteboy
Silent Operator

Post by ariwhiteboy »

Louis wrote:I looked at your profile and there is no way to contact you except by posting on the forum. Do you have a web site? how do I order a holster? What options? How much?
Yes yes...I really like the one you made for the person in the orange shirt. Love to have something like that for the Walther and Spectre II. :D
It is a very sad man who requires his opinions to be validated by those around him.

SWR Spectre II (Pending)
cms81586
Silent Operator

Post by cms81586 »

Should be able to PM and email me through the site. If not...fire off an email to cms81586 at aol.com. I don't have a web site (yet)...just a facebook page I use to show off some of the stuff I make. Don't want to push selling the stuff much as I'm not sure if they do a "vendor" status here on ST. Send me a message if you're interested in having something made.

As for the process....

Starts off as sheets of kydex. I typically use .060 for the holster body and .093 to make the belt loops and J-Hooks (for IWB applications). I cut the sheets of kydex oversized to allow for "shrinkage"...not due to the heat but instead the curvature as it forms around the object you're using as a mold (pistol/suppressor/whatever).

Next comes the outline. I use non-perm map markers as they're fine and wipe off easily. This gives you an outline as where to place the holster when you set it on the kydex just before you close the press. You have to work fast or it will cool off. After it cools while in the press, repeat those steps for the second half.

Next comes a bunch of cutting, aligning, and deburring...followed by about 30mins of sanding with both a tabletop belt sander and then by hand down to 320grit wet sanding, and finally polishing.

After that...drilling/deburring/riveting using an arbor press. Then comes careful heating and adjustments to the curvature of the holster so it follows the lines of your body. Then rechecking alignment...and adjusting retention with heating and additional drilling and riveting.

Finally, you make the belt loops or J-hooks...assemble...and then give it a good bath in soapy warm water followed by blowing it dry with a compressor and air chuck.

Total time from start to finish is about 4-5 hours, but I take my time and pay attention to detail. It's rewarding and challenging as some of the stuff I've made took some creativity to get just right. It burns up some of my free time and gives me something to do since ammo is so scarce and shooting is a luxury more than a hobby for me anymore.

CMS
cms81586
Silent Operator

Post by cms81586 »

ducati wrote:I was thinking of making a similar holster, but leaving the front open, sort of like a speed or competition holster.

The gun should stay in place by the formed sandwich of the Kydex, but could simply pull forward out of the front instead of having to come up and up until the suppressor clears the top.

Anyone ever see or make something like this?

I'll try anything once.

On a side note...what kind of Duc you ride? I have an 08 Hypermotard 1100S. Been flogging it regularly and it keeps on ticking...

ducati
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ducati »

Monster S4R
Diavel

I have a problem.
cms81586
Silent Operator

Post by cms81586 »

I'll say! I want to test ride the new water cooled Hyper to see how it compares in torque to the 2V desmo but I'm afraid I'll like it too much and buy one...so I just look at pictures of them online instead.

CMS