Question for YHM mount users, input please

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

AKDOC
Silent Operator

Question for YHM mount users, input please

Post by AKDOC »

So I finally got to take home my 5.56 ss QD Phantom yesterday. Love the can but I noticed when you torque it down on the mount till it stops it has tooth to tooth contact on the mount and can but its solid. You can back it off one tooth to catch the groove but then it has some slight rotational play in it. I dont think either is a problem as far as the can comming loose or baffle strikes but I wondered if this is common with these mounts. Any input from other users would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Question for YHM mount users, input please

Post by Bendersquint »

AKDOC wrote:So I finally got to take home my 5.56 ss QD Phantom yesterday. Love the can but I noticed when you torque it down on the mount till it stops it has tooth to tooth contact on the mount and can but its solid. You can back it off one tooth to catch the groove but then it has some slight rotational play in it. I dont think either is a problem as far as the can comming loose or baffle strikes but I wondered if this is common with these mounts. Any input from other users would be appreciated. Thanks.
It is common because of the design of the mount system.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Yep. Noticed that also. Have never had my Phantom back off the QD mount though. As a matter of fact, when swapping a hot suppressor between hosts, if the suppressor cools on the second mount, it may become difficult to separate them.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

MY 5.56 Ti Phantom ratchets down tooth-to-groove. If it were me and it was tooth-to-tooth, I would contact YHM...
btb601
Silent But Deadly

Post by btb601 »

Mine does the same thing. Had mine over one year now and no issues.
AKDOC
Silent Operator

Post by AKDOC »

Shot about 50 rounds at the range today. I did notice at the end of the session the suppressor had backed off to the tooth and groove lockup. Still some slight rotational play but I checked it a couple of times and then when I went home and everything still looks good to go so perhaps it varies mount to mount but doesn't seem to affect performance. Would still like to hear from some other YHM QD users.
AKDOC
Silent Operator

Post by AKDOC »

Out if curiosity wonder if this is common to all yhm mounts or of if the brake or the new style FH mount would be different. Anyone notice lockup differences between the brake vs FH or old vs new style FH?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

AKDOC wrote:Out if curiosity wonder if this is common to all yhm mounts or of if the brake or the new style FH mount would be different. Anyone notice lockup differences between the brake vs FH or old vs new style FH?
This is common to all of their mount, nothing is immune.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Mine goes tooth to groove. . . I had the guys at silencershop tell me about htis before I ever mounted it. It was the first thing I checked.

Id contact YHM
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

nice shot wrote:Mine goes tooth to groove. . . I had the guys at silencershop tell me about htis before I ever mounted it. It was the first thing I checked.

Id contact YHM
I have seen a dozen or so and all but one didn't line up.

No need to contact YHM, it is really a non-issue.
AKDOC
Silent Operator

Post by AKDOC »

Thanks for all the replies. The only real problem I'm having right now is trying to find the QD 5.56 brake. Nobody has them.
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly

Post by bikefreek »

Most of mine line up tooth to groove except one. That one I have to tighten the can up and then rotate the locking ring ever so slightly counter clockwise and it clicks in. Even if I run one a tooth lose as you should do when you put a hot can on a cold mount (otherwise it will get REALLY tight as the temps equalize) I have NEVER had it jump a tooth.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

The one on my m16 don't line up either and I have shot he hell out of it and it has never come loose.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Gardner

Post by Gardner »

Usually there is some slop at the ring. Just rotate the ring rearward a bit and it will lock in.
AKDOC
Silent Operator

Post by AKDOC »

I tried to rotate the ring but its still just not enough to lock the next tooth but shooting so far everything is good. I don't mind some slight rotation as long as its locked and lined up. I'm looking for a brake to replace the FH anyhow. I am pleased with the can for the value. Liked it enough I got 762 ss phantom as well. Plus ill probably be using my saker mostly once I get my stamp.