5.56 can on a .22lr & stabilization with .22lr SSS ammo

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Jer

5.56 can on a .22lr & stabilization with .22lr SSS ammo

Post by Jer »

Hi, first post - don't hit me too hard if this is stupid.

I recently THOUGHT I made a good choice in suppressor purchases when I got a YHM 3500A (Phantom) Quick Disconnect for 5.56.
This is mostly to be used on my AR-15 - but I THOUGHT I had a good idea and I bought a second adapter for me Ruger MK III which is also threaded 1/2x28...

Given that the 5.56 is .224OD and a .22lr is .222OD, I was under the assumption that I could easily move the can from the AR to the Ruger MK III and play. And apparently you can - but people are telling me to avoid using the Aguila .22 SSS Sniper Subsonic rounds that I have.

I've been told that the subsonic rounds in .22 won't stabilize and that I will get a baffle strike when using the can on the MK III.

Does the collective knowledge here believe that using the 60gr Aguila .22lr SSS is a really stupid thing or should I be good to go with this?
Jer

Re: 5.56 can on a .22lr & stabilization with .22lr SSS ammo

Post by Jer »

Also, is the bore hole larger for the YHM suppressor in 5.56 than it is for the YHM suppressors in .22 - I can't seem to find anything online that specifies that...
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

i wouldn't use them in that can anyway, you'll foul it up with lead at the very least. you really want to only use FMJ 22lr in a non user servicible can.

but the ruger mkiii twist rate of 1:16 is not enough to stabilize the aguila 60gr bullets. you want 1:9.

iirc the aguila sss subsonic is only intended for bolt action rifles.
Jer

Post by Jer »

Thank you.

What specific round would you recommend for that can - on the Ruger MK III?
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

some options:

cci #0074 - 22lr segmented hollow point 40gr subsonic copper plated
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... oadNo=0074

federal #AE22SUP1 - american eagle suppressor 42gr subsonic copper plated
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/ ... px?id=1048

not really many choices for a non user servicible can.
Jer

Post by Jer »

While it isn't able to be broken down to be cleaned - the manual states that cleaning it "by submerging the suppressor in a hydrocarbon based cun cleaning solvent... allowing the solvent to drain out and blowing it out with high pressure air..." So, while I may not be able to scrape all the carbon off the baffles - I can't see how a little fouling that is left inside would affect things much. They also say it's not necessary to even go that far until about 2,000 rounds through it.
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trevor2011 »

One or two mags more than likely wont hurt anything as far as dirt goes. However a suppressed 22lr is like crack once you do it it's damn hard to quit. Get a dedicated 22 can you will thank yourself in the long run. I run a Spectre 2 and love it good money well spent.
Jer

Post by Jer »

That's the plan! :)

I got this can because I can swap it between the AR and the Ruger MK III...
While the MK III is my dedicated suppressed handgun, this can will be primarily (and is made for) my 5.56.
Eventually I will get another stamp and can just for the Ruger - one that is significantly lighter and cleanable.
But this can is perfect for my 5.56.

We have a coyote problem on my farm - and while it's in WV and everyone --- EVERYONE--- has guns and shoots here, I don't want to upset the neighbors at 3:00am by taking one out that's getting too close to the miniature horses we have. People get grumpy when they are woken up. Even though the neighbors are a significant distance away, I don't want to be rude. :)
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

Jer wrote:While it isn't able to be broken down to be cleaned - the manual states that cleaning it "by submerging the suppressor in a hydrocarbon based cun cleaning solvent... allowing the solvent to drain out and blowing it out with high pressure air..." So, while I may not be able to scrape all the carbon off the baffles - I can't see how a little fouling that is left inside would affect things much. They also say it's not necessary to even go that far until about 2,000 rounds through it.
thats the cleaning routine for CENTERFIRE where lead fouling is minimal, and powders tend to be relatively clean.

22lr is super dirty and most ammo is non jacketed, so lead fouling WILL occur. you can't remove lead fouling with a "hydrocarbon based gun cleaning solvent". and lead fouling WILL eventually F up your suppressor. that is why virtually all rimfire cans these days are user servicible.

http://www.silencerresearch.com/norrell_custom_can.htm
Jer

Post by Jer »

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,....................................
nutpn

Post by nutpn »

I use Lapua and SK pistol ammo in mine, they are subsonic and with the can are very quiet, cost a lil bit extra but are very accurate.
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

nutpn wrote:I use Lapua and SK pistol ammo in mine, they are subsonic and with the can are very quiet, cost a lil bit extra but are very accurate.
non jacketed, not a good idea. lead fouling will result.
Theohazard
Silent Operator

Post by Theohazard »

You don't need to use subsonic ammo in a .22 pistol; standard velocity ammo is still subsonic out of a shorter barrel. Heck, even CCI Mini Mags will be subsonic out of a MK III.
0331: "Accuracy by volume."
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

^^ excellent point.

just find some jacketed 22lr and you should be GTG.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

You did make a good choice with the YHM... my 5.56 titanium is my favorite can...

But do yourself a favor and get a dedicated 22lr can...
Jer

Post by Jer »

dan9591 wrote:You did make a good choice with the YHM... my 5.56 titanium is my favorite can...

But do yourself a favor and get a dedicated 22lr can...

I will - just have to let the finances catch up with the dream sheet a bit.

Also:
I've seen a LOT of comparisons of suppressor v. suppressor - but none that I've seen take into consideration the YHM Phantom.
Has anyone experience with that SPECIFIC can or can anyone point me to a video about it?
How is it - functionally... is it 100% in flash suppression also?

And this may be a strange question but, with the 5.56 what other tricks can be done with that specific can to increase the sound suppression (lighter loads, different manufacturers of the rounds, or any other pro-tips that the collective here may have.)
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

ask YHM if you can run it wet with 22lr subsonics.
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

Theohazard wrote:You don't need to use subsonic ammo in a .22 pistol; standard velocity ammo is still subsonic out of a shorter barrel. Heck, even CCI Mini Mags will be subsonic out of a MK III.
My suppressed .22 pistol sounds a whole lot different with dedicated subsonic ammo versus supersonic ammo that doesn't achieve supersonic velocity. The "hotter" ammo has a much sharper tone even out of the little 3.4" barrel.