SRI is Melonite treating Sparrow tubes!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

SRM
Silent But Deadly

Re: Interest in Melonite treatment on Sparrow tubes?

Post by SRM »

Bendersquint wrote:
GatoMontes wrote:I keep hearing this thrown around but never confirmed; are the newer iterations of the Sparrow's outer tube stainless now? Mine was a from a fresh batch in October of last year so definitely a newer one, so assuming the above is true probably with a stainless tube as well. If it's not true and they are still producing with standard carbon steel for the outer tubes you can count me in as well.
This process can be done on SS as well as carbon and with the same benefits.
Could you do my entire f1 can? 304 ss.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

SRM wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
GatoMontes wrote:I keep hearing this thrown around but never confirmed; are the newer iterations of the Sparrow's outer tube stainless now? Mine was a from a fresh batch in October of last year so definitely a newer one, so assuming the above is true probably with a stainless tube as well. If it's not true and they are still producing with standard carbon steel for the outer tubes you can count me in as well.
This process can be done on SS as well as carbon and with the same benefits.
Yes, but not in this run.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

8)
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

Bendersquint wrote:So far between this site and that other site we have 20 cans interested in this process.

We need at least 15 more because in my experience only about 80% of people actually send their parts and we HAVE to have them all in at the same time and done at the same time.

If we have stragglers it WILL increase turnaround depending on how long they take to get them sent.
So all we send you is the outer tube? Do we have to clean it?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

kaotic504 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:So far between this site and that other site we have 20 cans interested in this process.

We need at least 15 more because in my experience only about 80% of people actually send their parts and we HAVE to have them all in at the same time and done at the same time.

If we have stragglers it WILL increase turnaround depending on how long they take to get them sent.
So all we send you is the outer tube? Do we have to clean it?
You will have to send in the complete suppressor.

The tube itself SHOULD be clean because of the design.
Bsmith918

Post by Bsmith918 »

I'm in too.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

Ah hell, count me out. I don't even have it yet and when I do get it the last thing I want to do right away is send it off so I can wait some more.

For those rockin the Parked tubes that's certainly a great upgrade for only thirty clams.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

GatoMontes wrote:Ah hell, count me out. I don't even have it yet and when I do get it the last thing I want to do right away is send it off so I can wait some more.

For those rockin the Parked tubes that's certainly a great upgrade for only thirty clams.
We can get this done while its in transfer too as long as your dealer is willing!
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

Well my dealer is a piece of garbage!

170 days since the ATF cashed my check (so I'm right freakin there), yet 363 days since I paid for the damn thing, under the understanding that "well, three weeks MAX for the can to arrive..." :evil:

I know you need as many people as possible, but I got the notion not to F--k with this any more than its been fucked. Maybe next time padre.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

GatoMontes wrote:Well my dealer is a piece of garbage!

170 days since the ATF cashed my check (so I'm right freakin there), yet 363 days since I paid for the damn thing, under the understanding that "well, three weeks MAX for the can to arrive..." :evil:

I know you need as many people as possible, but I got the notion not to F--k with this any more than its been fucked. Maybe next time padre.
This should be something we are doing alot more of in the future.
imfrogman

Post by imfrogman »

What are the advantages of doing this? Any pics of other items done to see what it will look like?
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

how much more for doin the half tubes? or is it feasable?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

imfrogman wrote:What are the advantages of doing this? Any pics of other items done to see what it will look like?
Advantages will be that it will up the durability multiples of times, make it more corrosion resistant, more impact resistant.

No pictures but if you have ever seen an S&W M&P or a Glock then you have seen what the melonite , it blackens the metal as a result of the process.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

SRM wrote:how much more for doin the half tubes? or is it feasable?
We can do the half shells as well but this run is all about the outer tube.

So everyone understand why at this point we are only doing the tubes.....

The difficulty in making sure that each individual gets THEIR actual core, clamshells, and endcap back is very difficult as each of the different parts would all be run with their cousins.

Only way we could keep track of each individuals parts would be to engrave each and every part and noone would want to pay for 4 engravings per suppressor!

If there were an easier way then I am all ears.
avball

Post by avball »

Bendersquint wrote:
SRM wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: This process can be done on SS as well as carbon and with the same benefits.
Yes, but not in this run.
Any thoughts on the SWR Spectre II? How durable is their black oxide on SS? Is Melonite a worthwhile upgrade? How much would it cost?
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Bendersquint wrote: Only way we could keep track of each individuals parts would be to engrave each and every part and noone would want to pay for 4 engravings per suppressor!
How much for a simple "w" to be engraved 4 times?

Got a laser to do this? kinda like those Jack Daniel booths or Busse knives?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: Only way we could keep track of each individuals parts would be to engrave each and every part and noone would want to pay for 4 engravings per suppressor!
How much for a simple "w" to be engraved 4 times?

Got a laser to do this? kinda like those Jack Daniel booths or Busse knives?
Yes, we can engrave them but between setup and running its quite an undertaking.

Depending on when we get this all together, will determine how far we take it as well.

What does everyone say? Do you want all of it done......tube, clamshells, core, cap? If there is enough interest I will run the numbers and see how much it would cost for everything.
ScottNC
Silent Operator

Post by ScottNC »

It seems to me the inner workings benefit the most from the process, do the whole thing. Git 'er done! :)
lawdog2k

Post by lawdog2k »

Good evening. I was searching the net looking for general information on higher caliber suppressors and came across this forum and thread.

I own a Sparrow and would be interested in the whole suppressor (internals and case) being treated. It is the newer SS can. What would be the process of sending them in, if it is a go? I think I will hang around in this forum a while…lots of good knowledge.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

lawdog2k wrote:Good evening. I was searching the net looking for general information on higher caliber suppressors and came across this forum and thread.

I own a Sparrow and would be interested in the whole suppressor (internals and case) being treated. It is the newer SS can. What would be the process of sending them in, if it is a go? I think I will hang around in this forum a while…lots of good knowledge.
Welcome to the forum!

At this time we are only doing the tube, we are considering doing the internals as well if there is enough interest, but it will be more than the original $30 for the entire suppressor treated.

The process is simple and once I have a list of everyone that is interested I will email everyone instructions on how it all needs to go down!
lawdog2k

Post by lawdog2k »

Thanks! I will keep posted and wait for a go. IF there is enough interest in total package, I will be there, too!
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

Might as well do the entire can when you get mine.
Blackhorse Scout
lawdog2k

Post by lawdog2k »

rcn11thacr wrote:Might as well do the entire can when you get mine.
I am willing to pay the difference for the entire can. Just let me know. :)
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Do we have any hard data that this will make a significant difference?

Doing the tube makes sense. That's what the stamp is attached to. Tennifer might be great at stopping seawater but I'm not sure how well it fares against burning gunpowder. And when the rest of the can has a lifetime warranty... it doesn't make all that much financial sense to treat it. Are glock barrels tennifer treated? how much longer does it make the barrels last?

I'm open to treating the whole thing. I'm just trying to think logically and wondering what the real world differences actually are.
ScottNC
Silent Operator

Post by ScottNC »

wacki wrote:Do we have any hard data that this will make a significant difference?

Doing the tube makes sense. That's what the stamp is attached to. Tennifer might be great at stopping seawater but I'm not sure how well it fares against burning gunpowder. And when the rest of the can has a lifetime warranty... it doesn't make all that much financial sense to treat it. Are glock barrels tennifer treated? how much longer does it make the barrels last?

I'm open to treating the whole thing. I'm just trying to think logically and wondering what the real world differences actually are.
That's a good point, worth some thought, but...if it makes it significantly easier to clean and stronger, I'd say worth a try on the internals even with the warranty.