SRI is Melonite treating Sparrow tubes!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Re: SRI is Melonite treating Sparrow tubes!

Post by Baffled »

rcn11thacr wrote:
rcn11thacr wrote:Solve the problem right now and make it know to all who submitted cans. Charge the bums who sent in dirty cans. Lazy people and their nasty parts should not cause the "clean among us" to pay for detergent. Sounds like the healthcare bs right now. The clean (those that can afford) are paying extra for the dirty among us... Not fair.

Ok, im off my soapbox. It was a clean soapbox, you dirty bastards!
Wow, I must not have gotten laid that day :)
Sooo here is a bump to get an update on progress?
Don't feel bad, I agree with your sentiments. Those who sent in dirty cans should fess up publicly. :twisted:

I thought about it, and I had a brand new Sparrow to send, but I'm still not convinced there is all that much benefit. I hope there is, I hope I'm wrong. Looking forward to reports.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

Don't feel bad, I agree with your sentiments. Those who sent in dirty cans should fess up publicly. :twisted:
I dont :) and i still feel that a few bad apples should not ruin it for the whole barrel. Nest time (i hope there is a next time) SRI does this i would suggest that they make it known that offenders will get their cans back as soon as "X" price has been paid for cleaning services rendered. I see no harm in SRI getting paid for a service that should have been done and wasnt... I spoke to Matt and he made it clear to me that he was going to make very little on this deal and it wasnt intended to be a money maker from the start. He also stated that it was a money loser for him since he had to pay his people for their time to clean cans that were dirty. Shame on those folks with dirty cans, and they should be charged. A good guy got harmed in the process of helping others...
Blackhorse Scout
Teleportgrend

Post by Teleportgrend »

Had to kill a squirrel with an arrow today. Can't wait to get my can back with it's brand new finish!

Note for myself (and others) Pg6 has most of the details.
Quicken Will & Trust worked for me!
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

My treated core and clam shells has gone through the dip 3X now. There has been no noticeable change in the finish.

I'm going to try my tumbler with SS pins tomorrow and see how the Melonite holds up to 4 hrs in the tumbler.

Edit: Can't do the tumbler. The drum is too small. Dang HF stuff.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

Matt,
Any updates, or an estimated date for sending the completed cans home? Thanks.
Blackhorse Scout
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rcn11thacr wrote:Matt,
Any updates, or an estimated date for sending the completed cans home? Thanks.
Cans are back at Stalking Rhino. Verifying/QC'ng and boxing them up as I type. Quite a bit of stuff to do so hoping either tommorow or Thursday to get everything on its way back!
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

Thats awesome news, thanks!
Blackhorse Scout
bryceban

Post by bryceban »

WooHoo! Tired of these squirrel's and starlings shrugging off my pellet gun...
John4045
Silent Operator

Post by John4045 »

Just got my Sparrow back. I have to say that it looks awesome. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but the Melonite treatment feels slick and the uniformity of the color makes the Sparrow look better in my opinion.

For me, this was a small price to pay to increase the durability and longevity of my suppressor. I can't say if it'll aid in the cleaning of the can, but any little bit helps when dealing with caked on lead. Needless to say, I am very impressed by, at least, the aesthetics. I can't wait to shoot this guy. I will absolutely have no hesistancy having this treatment done future cans.
Teleportgrend

Post by Teleportgrend »

I got mine back today as well. I am with John, I have not shot it yet, but it looks and feels fantastic!

thank you for doing this SRI!
Quicken Will & Trust worked for me!
lawdog2k

Post by lawdog2k »

Alas, amongst good news there is always bad. Matt and I spoke today and my sparrow tube was lost at the treatment facility. ATF came in and did all kinds of looking and questioning. It is now gone in the wind.

But, Matt made it right post haste. Since I operate under a trust and the potential of 41p loomed, he made sure a new suppressor was purchased and the tax stamp fee was taken care of and it was all done today before the proposed changes. I just have a wait now. Good thing I just got my osprey!

I can't say I was happy about the loss, but I would never say anything bad about Matt or SRI. They stood up, apologized, and made sure I was whole.

Good people for sure!
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

strobro32 wrote:My treated core and clam shells has gone through the dip 3X now. There has been no noticeable change in the finish.

I'm going to try my tumbler with SS pins tomorrow and see how the Melonite holds up to 4 hrs in the tumbler.

Edit: Can't do the tumbler. The drum is too small. Dang HF stuff.
How many times would you say that you cleaned your SS Sparrow with the DIP before getting the Melonite treatment done?

Did you see any damage to the finish on the core with repeated use of the DIP?
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I dipped my #2 sparrow 2X before sending it off to be treated. My #1 Sparrow was dipped 8X + and I saw no noticeable difference in either of the finishes. I had over 20 K rounds through my first one.
Last edited by strobro32 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

I got mine yesterday and the finish looks great and i agree with the others that this was worth it, even if i only paid for piece of mind.
Alas, amongst good news there is always bad. Matt and I spoke today and my sparrow tube was lost at the treatment facility. ATF came in and did all kinds of looking and questioning. It is now gone in the wind.

But, Matt made it right post haste. Since I operate under a trust and the potential of 41p loomed, he made sure a new suppressor was purchased and the tax stamp fee was taken care of and it was all done today before the proposed changes. I just have a wait now. Good thing I just got my osprey!

I can't say I was happy about the loss, but I would never say anything bad about Matt or SRI. They stood up, apologized, and made sure I was whole.

Good people for sure!

Sorry to hear that. I agree also that Matt is a stand up guy and im sure he did all that was possible to find the lost item and im not at all surprized that he did his best to correct the problem. Good customer service leads to return customers!
Blackhorse Scout
thomasnelson

Post by thomasnelson »

Bendersquint... Excellent job... I really like the finish created by the treatment. Can anything, other than the internals, be done with an Octane 9 HD... the threaded mount and baffles are 17-4 PH Stainless Steel. Tube and end-caps are aluminum.
telero
Silent But Deadly

Post by telero »

Got mine back Monday. Looks great. Feels like the clamshells are a little tighter fitting now, but not so tight that I can't get it apart and put it back together. Was I supposed to take off the o-rings before sending it in? The bigger o-rings at each end of the core are there, but the internal one next to the threads are not. If I remember right there is a particular type of o-ring that should be used, but I can't recall what it's called. Also, is there a specific size? Hoping it's something I can grab at the local industrial parts store.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

thomasnelson wrote:Bendersquint... Excellent job... I really like the finish created by the treatment. Can anything, other than the internals, be done with an Octane 9 HD... the threaded mount and baffles are 17-4 PH Stainless Steel. Tube and end-caps are aluminum.
Anything steel can be treated, so the mount and baffles can be treated if we do a run for Octanes.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

telero wrote:Got mine back Monday. Looks great. Feels like the clamshells are a little tighter fitting now, but not so tight that I can't get it apart and put it back together. Was I supposed to take off the o-rings before sending it in? The bigger o-rings at each end of the core are there, but the internal one next to the threads are not. If I remember right there is a particular type of o-ring that should be used, but I can't recall what it's called. Also, is there a specific size? Hoping it's something I can grab at the local industrial parts store.
The O-rings were removed for the treatment, and replaced with brand new ones when they came back.

Looking at your checklist I checked that the new internal o-ring was installed. Sorry about that I will get another set or two of O-rings sent out immediately.
telero
Silent But Deadly

Post by telero »

Bendersquint wrote: The O-rings were removed for the treatment, and replaced with brand new ones when they came back.

Looking at your checklist I checked that the new internal o-ring was installed. Sorry about that I will get another set or two of O-rings sent out immediately.
Considering how much you've put into this, I'd hate for you to have to send out additional stuff on my account. According to the Silencerco site, the o-rings are viton size 13 and 18 (http://www.superiorsilence.com/collecti ... -ring-pack).

These size 13 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MN ... PDKIKX0DER) and these size 18 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MN ... PDKIKX0DER) should work OK, right? I'll probably never need that many, but for $18 I should be able to get a lifetime supply rather than $5 for a set from Silencerco.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

telero wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: The O-rings were removed for the treatment, and replaced with brand new ones when they came back.

Considering how much you've put into this, I'd hate for you to have to send out additional stuff on my account. According to the Silencerco site, the o-rings are viton size 13 and 18 (http://www.superiorsilence.com/collecti ... -ring-pack).

These size 13 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MN ... PDKIKX0DER) and these size 18 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MN ... PDKIKX0DER) should work OK, right? I'll probably never need that many, but for $18 I should be able to get a lifetime supply rather than $5 for a set from Silencerco.
That would be a lifetime supply for you!
telero
Silent But Deadly

Post by telero »

Bendersquint wrote:
I actually think I can get a couple locally or a few cents each, just wanted to verify that I was getting the right size and type.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

telero wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
I actually think I can get a couple locally or a few cents each, just wanted to verify that I was getting the right size and type.
Correct sizes.
edarahk

Post by edarahk »

Did i miss the bandwagon, I would really like this for my sparrow!
Silencerco Sparrow SS / Ruger 10/22
SWR Spectre II / Ruger 22/45 Lite
SWR Specwar / DDM4 v7
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

edarahk wrote:Did i miss the bandwagon, I would really like this for my sparrow!
You did miss Round1.

We haven't decided yet if we are going to do more runs either exclusively Sparrow or doing it for other cans as well.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

Bendersquint wrote:
edarahk wrote:Did i miss the bandwagon, I would really like this for my sparrow!
You did miss Round1.

We haven't decided yet if we are going to do more runs either exclusively Sparrow or doing it for other cans as well.
Spectre 2 and the Mystic !!!!
Blackhorse Scout