SRI is Melonite treating Sparrow tubes!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

John4045
Silent Operator

Re: Interest in Melonite treatment on Sparrow tubes?

Post by John4045 »

[quote="strobro32"]I think it might be too late for me to do a scientific experiment with the dip. I wish I could done an experiment before I sent it in.

Maybe if the deal happens, one of you could compare submersion times in the dip, # of rounds, on the same host, before and after the Melonite treatment.[/quote]

Any idea if it's easier to clean without using the dip? Cleaning the old fashioned way by hand.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I should fill the Sparrow with some serious lead soon. I will test cleaning the Melonite tratment within the week.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Hindsight is 20/20 but one of the clam shells should of been left in it's natural state. That would make it super easy to compare melonite vs non-melonite. The other half could be melonited at a later time.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:Hindsight is 20/20 but one of the clam shells should of been left in it's natural state. That would make it super easy to compare melonite vs non-melonite. The other half could be melonited at a later time.
Good point Wacki!

I know my barrels clean easier after treatment, so I can only assume the whole can will, makes sense to me.

Finalizing the information for this whole thing, and hoping to get it posted today.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Dunno how badly you want the info but here are some more options...

SilencerCo can give you or temporarily swap out one the clam shells? Or strobo32 can shop you (a manufacturer) his sparrow and you can swap out a clam side with one of yours. You blow 500 to 1000 rounds and then compare.

Just brainstorming. If you already melonited yours, I give you permission to run 500 rounds on one of my clamshells. I'm a scientist at heart and love raw data.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Is this going to be Melonite or Melonite QPQ?

http://www.burlingtoneng.com/melonite.html
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:Is this going to be Melonite or Melonite QPQ?

http://www.burlingtoneng.com/melonite.html
Can't do QPQ on stainless steel.

The offering will be for Melonite.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:Dunno how badly you want the info but here are some more options...

SilencerCo can give you or temporarily swap out one the clam shells? Or strobo32 can shop you (a manufacturer) his sparrow and you can swap out a clam side with one of yours. You blow 500 to 1000 rounds and then compare.

Just brainstorming. If you already melonited yours, I give you permission to run 500 rounds on one of my clamshells. I'm a scientist at heart and love raw data.
Strobro's Sparrow was completely treated.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

wacki wrote: SilencerCo can give you or temporarily swap out one the clam shells?
That is a great idea. Do you have a Sparrow?
John4045
Silent Operator

Post by John4045 »

Heck, I can volunteer my Sparrow for before and after testing.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

John4045 wrote:Heck, I can volunteer my Sparrow for before and after testing.
Already done, sorry! :(

We treated Strobro32's Sparrow so everyone could see what the end result is.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

strobro32 wrote:
wacki wrote: SilencerCo can give you or temporarily swap out one the clam shells?
That is a great idea. Do you have a Sparrow?

Kind of. I'm waiting on a Sparrow.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Alright guys here is the information you have all been waiting for. I know its a long write up but trying to cover all the bases up front.

This offer is only valid(for this run) for steel/stainless steel Silencerco Sparrow’s. If it is an aluminum tubed Silencerco Sparrow with a steel core we will treat the internals but not the tube.

If a suppressor is sent in that is not a Sparrow it will be returned with a refund minus shipping costs.

COST.......
There are 2 price points for this treatment run.

#1 - ONLY the registered tube at $30 returned to your doorstep.
#2 - The COMPLETE suppressor at $65 returned to your doorstep.

HOW THIS WILL WORK.....

Anyone(including SOT’s) can send a Sparrow in for treatment, if you know anyone that may be interested in this please let them know, if anyone wants to cross post this to other forums we encourage you to just please send us a link so we can keep an eye on it.

SOT’s - If you have you Sparrow(s) you want to have treated and have questions about the process please give me a call and I will walk you through how it is done for your books. We CAN treat pending transfer Sparrows, if your SOT has questions how please have them give me a call.

We need to have AT LEAST 25 Sparrows to make this happen. However there is no maximum limit for this run.

Clean your suppressor and I mean CLEAN it. If you see anything but steel then its not clean enough.

You will need to either call 919-499-6280 or email for an RMA and the shipping address.

You will need to include a front and back full size copy of your approved Form4 and a money order or check for payment, we are not accepting credit cards at this time, you will also need to include a completed workorder form which will be emailed to you upon requesting an RMA.

DO NOT include ANYTHING besides the suppressor to be treated, you will not receive ANYTHING but the suppressor back. This means no factory box, no pouch, no socks(yes people send them in socks), you get the point. Your suppressor is your investment, protect it accordingly; using bubble wrap, peanuts or other suitable shipping materials as this is similar to how it will be returned to you.

We must receive your Sparrow no later than Friday November 1st. If it is received after that date it will be returned minus return shipping costs so its in your best interest to have it in before the deadline with some time to spare. The run will not be sent out prior to the November 1st deadline.

So long as all of the Sparrow’s arrive clean they will all be sent out for the treatment on Tuesday November 5th. If there are Sparrows that need cleaning the run will be shipped out on Friday November 8th. The estimated shipping time to the treatment facility is 3-5 days.

The estimated turn around time for the treatment is 1 week from their arrival at the facility.

As soon as they are returned to Stalking Rhino and they have all been inspected they will be boxed and returned to their owners. Unfortunately we can’t give a solid estimate for this time as we have no idea how many Sparrows will be treated, the more we have the longer it will take to get them all sent home, we are expecting 2-3 days.

Please keep in mind that these dates are all estimations and not guaranteed, we are not responsible for time delays with shipping or treating. These estimates should be good to go.

I think that covers everything, if I missed anything I will post updates as needed.

I will try to answer every question as quickly as possible so if anyone cross posts this please be sure to link it to the original posting so that forum(if I am not a member) will see the responses as well.

If you have any questions about this please do not hesitate to get in touch with us at the contact info provided above.
Last edited by Bendersquint on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
John4045
Silent Operator

Post by John4045 »

I'm in.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Perfect!, just in time for my next dip cleaning in a few weeks.

Any further info on how this Melonite treatment would make future cleaning easier/harder? And just to be sure again, the treatment is still dip safe?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rimshaker wrote:Perfect!, just in time for my next dip cleaning in a few weeks.

Any further info on how this Melonite treatment would make future cleaning easier/harder? And just to be sure again, the treatment is still dip safe?
Yes, the treatment is dip safe.

There is no update on cleaning with whether it is easier or harder, but just based on the process it can't make it any harder to clean than it already is.

I am sure Strobro32 will post his findings when he cleans his.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

You also might want to mention this won't affect the manufacturer's warranty, and that Silencerco fully supports this Mel treatment.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rimshaker wrote:You also might want to mention this won't affect the manufacturer's warranty, and that Silencerco fully supports this Mel treatment.

Yes, Silencerco/SWR has stated that if we(SRI) do the treatment it will not affect the warranty.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Personal checks ok?

So send the complete Sparrow minus the three O-rings.

How would any dirty ones be cleaned just in case... a big dip bath?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rimshaker wrote:Personal checks ok?

So send the complete Sparrow minus the three O-rings.

How would any dirty ones be cleaned just in case... a big dip bath?
Yes, personal checks are fine. However the Sparrows will not be returned to their owners until the check has cleared. With the given timeline it shouldn't hold anything up unless you are using a slow no name bank.

Depends on how dirty the clean Sparrows are. Either an industrial ultrasonic or a mega dip bath would be used.

The O-rings will be replaced on our end, you will get fresh o-rings.....will be like a new can when it gets home!
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

If we miss this current batch run, when would the next one be, if any? Next year i'm guessing.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rimshaker wrote:If we miss this current batch run, when would the next one be, if any? Next year i'm guessing.
The next run will depend on how this one goes.

If we barely get enough then this will be it and we won't offer it again as there isn't enough interest to be worthwhile.

If we get a ton there will definitely be more in the future.

Rather non-commital but it is what it is. ;)
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

I know you said only "sparrows", but it sure would be nice if we could send in other cans we want done. If this first batch meets the minimums, maybe you can offer to do other cans on the next run?
Blackhorse Scout
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rcn11thacr wrote:I know you said only "sparrows", but it sure would be nice if we could send in other cans we want done. If this first batch meets the minimums, maybe you can offer to do other cans on the next run?
If this is a success there will be many more runs and those runs we will be taking many other cans in for treatment.

All depends how this one goes.

Going slow so far but we are only a couple days into it now.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I just ran 550+ round through a 4.8" SMG this week, including multiple 100+ round dumps. After 8 hours in the dip, the Melonite treatment looks great. No difference. I don't know if this treatment is easier to clean but still cleans up well.