SRI is Melonite treating Sparrow tubes!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Boosted98gsx

Re: Interest in Melonite treatment on Sparrow tubes?

Post by Boosted98gsx »

Hasn't been a response in a week+, so bump?
ScottNC
Silent Operator

Post by ScottNC »

A Week...May 23rd was the last from SRI, seems like a dead issue. I'm not so interested in sending in mine if there is chance of it's going to take as long to coat it as it has to try to get this thing put together.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I talked with B last week. I think he is still waiting for official word from Silencerco about warranty coverage after the treatment. Many people here had coverage as a condition before sending their cans in.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Boosted98gsx

Post by Boosted98gsx »

What would be the problem with having a replacement tube made from bead blasted 304?
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Boosted98gsx wrote:What would be the problem with having a replacement tube made from bead blasted 304?
Another $200. :(
Boosted98gsx

Post by Boosted98gsx »

strobro32 wrote:
Boosted98gsx wrote:What would be the problem with having a replacement tube made from bead blasted 304?
Another stamp? Wouldn't it be considered a "repair" as long as the old tube was destroyed?
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Boosted98gsx wrote:
strobro32 wrote:
Another stamp? Wouldn't it be considered a "repair" as long as the old tube was destroyed?
Nope, not anymore.
Boosted98gsx

Post by Boosted98gsx »

Wahnsinn wrote:
Boosted98gsx wrote:
strobro32 wrote: Another $200. :(
Nope, not anymore.
Wow. That's great. Stupid BATFE
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

I will never buy another .22 lr can that does not have a stainless tube. Well, all of it for that matter.

Break the ends and drop in the dip fer a 24 soak and done.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

That's fine for you, but many do not shoot enough to need the stainless tube or want the weight of a stainless can on their firearm, especially a pistol.
Boosted98gsx

Post by Boosted98gsx »

Kramer wrote:That's fine for you, but many do not shoot enough to need the stainless tube or want the weight of a stainless can on their firearm, especially a pistol.
The tube is already mild steel, and the baffle / clamshell are both stainless.....
ScottNC
Silent Operator

Post by ScottNC »

Honestly, this thread has run it's course I think. There's no response and I for one aren't sending my suppressor anywhere if this is what to expect. I'm out. Thanks...
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Update :

OK All. I just got the word tonight that Bendersquint, a.k.a Matt @ Stalking Rhino Industries, has the official blessing from SilencerCo/SWR to start the process of treating the steel or stainless steel SilencerCo Sparrow suppressors with Melonite. I will send in my Sparrow tomorrow as a test so we can see the results of the finished product on the entire can. It should take a few weeks to get mine back.

The final costs of doing the tube or the entire suppressor will be determined after we see the results. The finish has been decided as a flat matte black.

Happy happy, joy joy.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

I know this doesn't do anyone any good, but depending on when we do this and how long it will take I'd most definitely be down. I have a couple trips planned for the future, any of those I want my suppressor to go along and would unfortunately take me out of the running.

Hey Matt, could you guess as to how long the turnaround will be?

Also, if the head count is a little low any problem opening this up to other forums? I'm sure we could easily snag a few more off Arfcom or TFL no problem.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

The actual process time for the Melonite treatment is 4 days. The speed of the buy will be determined by how punctual people are shipping their cans and the shipping times. Their will be a deadline on shipments and if you miss the deadline the cans will not be treated.

This buy has been open to other forums. I have members at Uzitalk and NFAtalk.
dbwebbsr
Silent Operator

Post by dbwebbsr »

Will it still be open after 04Oct? I'm back "offshore" & won't be home until then.
I'd hate to miss out on this...
Damon

"Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives." -- John Adams

strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I'm not sure of the due date yet. It will be a few weeks before we see the test results of my can.

I just pulled mine out of the dip. It's nice and clean. I took measurements of the tube and shells. I will take "before" pictures in an hour and ship it off to B- today.

I'm not a fan of white lettering on my stuff so I will be happy to see the lettering turned black. :)
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

I'm highly interested in this. But I will be in Europe for the month of August. I have some other crazy things going on as well but please don't close the melonite option before the end of the month of august.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

I'm still in
Blackhorse Scout
btb601
Silent But Deadly

Post by btb601 »

I had forgotten this, slipped right out my brain. Good for me that it went cold.

I believe I would still be in for everything to be treated pending on the out come of the tested can. The cost would play a roll in it to.

I believe you will have to pimp this thread out all over again to wake everyone up for the group requirements.
BigWonton

Post by BigWonton »

strobro32 wrote:Update :

OK All. I just got the word tonight that Bendersquint, a.k.a Matt @ Stalking Rhino Industries, has the official blessing from SilencerCo/SWR to start the process of treating the steel or stainless steel SilencerCo Sparrow suppressors with Melonite. I will send in my Sparrow tomorrow as a test so we can see the results of the finished product on the entire can. It should take a few weeks to get mine back.
Good to hear about SilencerCo/SWR's blessing - I'm surprised Matt's not using an unregistered/unserialized tube so that he could test it without risk to someone's suppressor.

Mine should be coming out of NFA prison in August so I'll be looking forward to the results.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

BigWonton wrote:
strobro32 wrote:Update :

Good to hear about SilencerCo/SWR's blessing - I'm surprised Matt's not using an unregistered/unserialized tube so that he could test it without risk to someone's suppressor.

Mine should be coming out of NFA prison in August so I'll be looking forward to the results.
There isn't a risk, its done alot more than most people realize. I can show you plain tubes that have been treated......its better to show you a Sparrow that is treated.

Matt(Strobo32) is not sending the can in for testing, he is sending it in so we have a product example so everyone can see what the end result will be.

To judge something like paint(not what THIS is, just an example)...Which is better a picture of paint chip or picture of an actual painted room?
dbwebbsr
Silent Operator

Post by dbwebbsr »

Great analogy.

I'll be back stateside 04Oct & plan on sending you both my Sparrow SS for meloniting & TiRANT 45 for jailbreaking...
Damon

"Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives." -- John Adams

John4045
Silent Operator

Post by John4045 »

I'm looking forward to some pics. I'm glad Silencerco/SWR gave you the thumbs up.
Boosted98gsx

Post by Boosted98gsx »

I would like to point out that the SS Sparrow "handbook" actually RECOMMENDS the ultrasonic cleaning of the outer tube (which apparently causes outer can to oxidize through the coating) along with the rest of the suppressor parts, not recommending against it. This should be a process done at the MFG's expense as a warranty service for quality purposes and customer satisfaction.

(see owners manual, under "maintenance and cleaning")