SRI is Melonite treating Sparrow tubes!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.
Danomite45
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Interest in Melonite treatment on Sparrow tubes?

Post by Danomite45 »

I might be in, depending on color.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Danomite45 wrote:I might be in, depending on color.
It will be black.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

You missed a perfect opportunity B- to quote Henry Ford. :)
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

strobro32 wrote:You missed a perfect opportunity B- to quote Henry Ford. :)
I did? :?
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

3rd one down. Very famous.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Henry_Ford
telero
Silent But Deadly

Post by telero »

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

telero wrote:Image
Gotcha.....sadly yes I missed that opportunity.
Greybear

Post by Greybear »

I'm going to need to keep an eye on this too. Get some photos up and I think you'll have numerous commitments made.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Update:
I called Matt on Thursday for an update. He said my Sparrow is done. He's just waiting on the rest of his Melonite order (some AR stuff) to be finished before his order is shipped back to him. Should not be more than another week he said.

He is planning on finishing another Sparrow next week to see if the process could be sped up. Right now the melonite company needs a special, separate jig for every part of a suppressor that is submerged in the molten salts. On the next test, they will try to plunge an assembled suppressor and compare results.

Cool Melonite process video. Very interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjbOZAx2mw
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

My SS Sparrow is back from Matt @ Stalking Rhino Industries. The return packaging was excellent. The suppressor was in a plastic expanding lattice sock, inside a rigid cardboard tube, inside a rigid cardboard box that was padded with foam peanuts. I also really enjoy getting a silencer delivered to me by mail.

Once I got it out, I spent some time with my calipers measuring all the dimensions I made before I sent it out. I cannot find any change. The treatment also resisted marks left by the jaws of the calipers.

All I can say is that the Melonite treatment exceeded my expectations. This can is beautiful. I feel like I have the coolest Sparrow in the country at this moment. I never found the original color differences that bothersome but I am happy the white lettering is black. My only reason for the Melonite treatment was corrosion resistance on the alloy tube.

I plan on shooting about 500 rounds and let it sit in the dip overnight. We’ll see what happens. I expect no change but I want to test. If all goes well and if this group buy happens, I would really like to send in anything else that I own that would benefit from this process.

I just called Matt and told him my impressions. He said he will post the service information once he gets it all worked up.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:
trek45

Post by trek45 »

strobro32 wrote: All I can say is that the Melonite treatment exceeded my expectations. This can is beautiful. I feel like I have the coolest Sparrow in the country at this moment. I never found the original color differences that bothersome but I am happy the white lettering is black. My only reason for the Melonite treatment was corrosion resistance on the alloy tube.
Did you have to clean the can before you sent it in? Also, I wonder if the markings can be brought back up using some hi-temp paint on to fill in the letters and then rubbed off.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Yes. I cleaned the can before I sent it in. Too much lead will foul the molten salt bath, spoiling the treatment. Matt will have to make sure you guys clean them well or it will ruin the bath.

"Hose down the kids before they reach the tub!" is what I tell my wife.... because I'm the one who cleans the bath tub. ;)
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

[quote="strobro32"]Matt will have to make sure you guys clean them well or it will ruin the bath. quote]
strobro32,
What cleaning process do you use? I've been lazy and need to do the sparrow and the mystic and have yet to decide which way to go and i'll need to do mine before it gets treated. Not trying to change the subject...
Blackhorse Scout
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I put mine in the dip before I sent it in. It's my favorite way to clean.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Now go shoot it .... And see if its easier to clean
lawdog2k

Post by lawdog2k »

Looking forward to follow up. I want in on the group. Hey, what "dip" are you using on the Sparrow, by the way?
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Wow very nice. You really do have the coolest Sparrow at the moment!

Just got mine in hand a month ago so in no hurry to do anything to it just yet. But this Melonite treatment is on my list now.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

wacki wrote:Now go shoot it .... And see if its easier to clean
This is what im very interested in, especially if the particular dip strobro is using works well. strobro, whats your dip mixture?
Blackhorse Scout
Danomite45
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Danomite45 »

Looks Great!
:)
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

"The dip" is a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. DO NOT USE on aluminum or steel, just stainless steel or titanium.The dip can damage AL and carbon alloy steels.

Caution:
The used dip fluid and debris from the cleaning process is considered a hazardous material, since it creates lead acetate. Lead acetate can be absorbed through the skin and is know to cause reproductive harm in people. Always use waterproof gloves. I use disposable Nitrile gloves. While using the "dip" make sure it is in a well ventilated area and not sealed up in a closed container. Do not let the material find it's way into the ground water system (sewer, landfill)

Process:
1. Remove as much of the lead from the suppressor as you can with a brush or pick if possible.
2. Put the complete suppressor or parts or in a glass , PVC or stainless steel container. I use old spaghetti sauce jars. Be sure to keep the lid loose.
3. Change the liquid every 24 hours. I have gone as long as 60 hours for my Spectre without any damage.
4. Wipe the debris from the surfaces.
5. Let it dry completely and don't forget to put some antisieze on the threads before putting her back together.

You can dispose of the dip at your HazMat day at the local landfill. Be sure to label it "Lead Acetate". You might have to call them and ask when the next household hazardous waste day is. If you don't have one of those, take it with your used motor oil to your local Autozone, Advance autoparts or oil/tire change place and dispose of it that way...
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

strobro32 wrote: Advance autoparts or oil/tire change place and dispose of it that way...
That is interesting, learned something new today! Strobro, when you do clean it please let us know how many rounds you run thru it. Get her good-n-dirty for us
Blackhorse Scout
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I've put about 240 rounds through it since yesterday. I want to go to 1000. Once I've made another 200 round drum my M-11/22, it will be easier.

I don't know about you guys but the Melonite treatment was never about making it easier to clean. For me it was about protecting the steel tube. The "all black" thing is just a super cool bonus. :)
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

[quote="strobro32"]I don't know about you guys but the Melonite treatment was never about making it easier to clean. quote]

I hear ya, but some of us are more interested in how much easier it makes it to clean, myself included. Thanks for giving it a good testing for us :)
Blackhorse Scout
ScottNC
Silent Operator

Post by ScottNC »

For some reason, I was thinking the treatment would aid in cleaning, just seems it would, be interesting to see and hear about if indeed it does make the DIP work faster or better or whatever. :D
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I think it might be too late for me to do a scientific experiment with the dip. I wish I could done an experiment before I sent it in.

Maybe if the deal happens, one of you could compare submersion times in the dip, # of rounds, on the same host, before and after the Melonite treatment.