NFA Trust Finalized! Time to buy something!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Withoutink

NFA Trust Finalized! Time to buy something!

Post by Withoutink »

I got my NFA Trust finalized and notarized today. Time to go shopping!

I know there are many obstacles and a l-o-n-g wait. But Im pretty excited this part is done. Im glad I went with an attorney, he has a lot of good stuff built in there about NFA, not generic at all.

Where is the best place to buy a silencer from?

I was looking at the silencershop.com. How are they for pricing and service? Any benefit to going with them (or another online shop) as opposed to a local biz? The reason I ask is I am in the North Mountains of GA and there are not too many places around here with good selections.
sarthree
Senior Silent Operator

Re: NFA Trust Finalized! Time to buy something!

Post by sarthree »

I am a fan of my local shop...I have been very lucky walking in and finding them under the glass...but with that being said

This is not the norm...You can wait months and months for a silencer to come into your shop while you could have have finished your transfer from silencershop and your form four transfer started. A bird in the hand...

Last comment: I have not purchased a silencer from silencershop, but I have purchased things from them and they have been STELLAR.
Withoutink

Post by Withoutink »

Just placed an order for a Spectre II from silencershop.com! Next paperwork time =)
PDXSparky

Post by PDXSparky »

IF you can find a local dealer with what you want in stock, that is the route I'd go.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

My experience is that any orders done out of the shop take forever ( I've had TWO form 3's take > 4 months). They were from different shops so it's hard to blame the owners.

Any orders from silencershop.com seem to go 2-6 weeks. I have no clue why.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Withoutink wrote:I was looking at the silencershop.com. How are they for pricing and service?
They are awesome.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

I've learned that shopping in the NFA world, time is way more important than cost. Believe it.

Best case scenario is a local dealer has the exact silencer you want and in stock. F4 transfer is ready to go. ALWAYS take this option, even if they charge slightly higher than online sites.

If you have to buy it elsewhere and transfer to your local dealer, F3 approval/shipping can take 2+ months nowadays. Check out Silencershop first... unbeatable prices, real time inventory, fast paperwork processing, great customer service.

Worst case scenario is having a local dealer order your silencer direct from the manufacturer. NEVER do this option. That can take up to a year; no specific timeframe. And sometimes small orders are actually forgotten about....from other forums i've read. It's actually faster to wait until a bigger dealer (like Silencershop, etc) has what you're looking for in stock.
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

personally i think the most important thing is picking a shop that isn't going to go out of business while your waiting on your transfer. then price, but i find most places are around the same.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

rimshaker wrote:I've learned that shopping in the NFA world, time is way more important than cost. Believe it.

Best case scenario is a local dealer has the exact silencer you want and in stock. F4 transfer is ready to go. ALWAYS take this option, even if they charge slightly higher than online sites.

If you have to buy it elsewhere and transfer to your local dealer, F3 approval/shipping can take 2+ months nowadays. Check out Silencershop first... unbeatable prices, real time inventory, fast paperwork processing, great customer service.

Worst case scenario is having a local dealer order your silencer direct from the manufacturer. NEVER do this option. That can take up to a year; no specific timeframe. And sometimes small orders are actually forgotten about....from other forums i've read. It's actually faster to wait until a bigger dealer (like Silencershop, etc) has what you're looking for in stock.
+1

I have a Form 3 direct from manufacturer going on 5 months and counting.

silencershop = awesome
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I pay a little more at my local shop, but keeping his doors open is worth a few extra bucks to me. Plus he keep all the new stuff in stock and isn't just focused on one brand, he carries everything. Nothing against silencershop, I have ordered pistons from them and they have great service.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
k9twelve

Post by k9twelve »

I'm lucky enough to have the storefront of the Silencer Shop here where I live. All of their employees are top notch and truly love what they do. They showed me several different cans that were in stock, attached them to some AR's, and let me feel the wieght and such. I ended up getting a SOCOM SureFire Mini 556. They got the can in within a few weeks, called me, and set up everything for the paperwork. While I was there, I noticed a potential customer who obviously had limited knowledge with regards to weapons platforms and suppressors. The owner and his staff treated him with respect and dignity the entire time. This is something that can get lost in the industry. I'm pretty sure they earned more business that day.

2*