Fired Octane 45 HD and Ti Rant 45 Today

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

FB3
Silent But Deadly

Fired Octane 45 HD and Ti Rant 45 Today

Post by FB3 »

Thanks to Silencershop for the piston I was able to take my Ti Rant 45 and Octane 45 HD and shoot a little today. Host was a Colt Combat Elite with Storm Lake barrel. Ammo was Winchester 230 gr fmj. All were fired dry.

Only got to put 50 rounds through them, but the consensus was that they are so close in sound that it was difficult to tell them apart.

The Ti Rant is noticeably lighter and just a little longer. The Octane is easier to disassemble and clean. Overall I personally feel that they are so close that it would be hard to select one over the other, but I am far from an expert with these things. It was sure fun shooting them though.

Sorry for the poor picture, but it was cloudy and there was lightening around, so I didn't take much time taking pics.

eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Re: Fired Octane 45 HD and Ti Rant 45 Today

Post by eastern_hunter »

Glad you got to go play with both cans!!! Should have been quite the fun afternoon.

Interesting evaluation.

Am glad the sound is comparable. I have Form 4s out to the BATFE for a pair of Octane 45s ... so my decision is make and the die is cast. Am glad the sound is comparable.
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

Eastern-hunter,

I am sure that you will not be disappointed. I didn't get to shoot as much as I would have liked, but it was fun and validated the purchase.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Tirant 45 is lighter thanks to the titanium tube and 8 Al baffles. I'd go with the Octane 45 though. More cleaning options with SS baffles...and the tube is protected on the inside. Very rugged design.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Complete rundown:

Win = SWR
Length: Octane 7.50" >>> TiRant 7.9"
Durability: Octane >>> TiRant
Cleaning: Octane >>> TiRant
Customer Service: Octane >? TiRant

Win = AAC
Weight: Octane 10.78 oz <<< TiRant 8.6 oz

My only question is why SWR didn't use Titanium for the outer tube. It's not doing much, why not cut the weight?
Last edited by wacki on Sat May 11, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trevor2011 »

Swr is putting out some great products I can't wait to pick up my octane 45.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

wacki wrote:

My only question is why SWR didn't use Titanium for the outer tube. It's not doing much, why not cut the weight?
Not much different in weight vs cost.

I take the weight and shorter length for easy cleaning and shooting lead . 45-45lc was made for lead!

I take the no BS service too!

Price is nice also.

Nice report MP3, lucky dog to have so soon!
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
everyusernametaken
Senior Silent Operator

Post by everyusernametaken »

I like Silencerco's products - I just bought a Saker, which I strongly believe is the best 5.56 can with the best mounting system on the market - but I also have a lot of respect for AAC, and I see the poor customer service thing thrown around a lot (seemingly always by the SWR fans). However, every account of dealing with AAC CS that I've seen in the past year at least was very positive. I've read horror stories involving them from way back, but then I've also just sent the same email to Silencerco support 3 times over the last month without a single response, so it seems like there's enough bad experience to go around in the industry these days. I just heard of someone emailing AAC about some replacement o-rings and having them sent out the next day free of charge. That's infinitely better to me than not answering your customers' support requests. The excuse of too many emails to reply to them all is NOT acceptable for support requests from paying customers.

That said, my 2 cents is that the Octane is the best option in 45, and the Tirant for 9mm. The weight difference between Octane and Tirant in the 9mm versions is much greater than in the 45 cans. I recently purchased an Octane 45, and made the mistake of not going through silencershop, and let's just say I'm starting over on the wait for my Octane 45. I also own a Tirant 9, and have handled all of these in person to compare their weight.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

everyusernametaken wrote:I like Silencerco's products - I just bought a Saker, which I strongly believe is the best 5.56 can with the best mounting system on the market - but I also have a lot of respect for AAC, and I see the poor customer service thing thrown around a lot (seemingly always by the SWR fans). However, every account of dealing with AAC CS that I've seen in the past year at least was very positive. I've read horror stories involving them from way back, but then I've also just sent the same email to Silencerco support 3 times over the last month without a single response, so it seems like there's enough bad experience to go around in the industry these days. I just heard of someone emailing AAC about some replacement o-rings and having them sent out the next day free of charge. That's infinitely better to me than not answering your customers' support requests. The excuse of too many emails to reply to them all is NOT acceptable for support requests from paying customers.

That said, my 2 cents is that the Octane is the best option in 45, and the Tirant for 9mm. The weight difference between Octane and Tirant in the 9mm versions is much greater than in the 45 cans. I recently purchased an Octane 45, and made the mistake of not going through silencershop, and let's just say I'm starting over on the wait for my Octane 45. I also own a Tirant 9, and have handled all of these in person to compare their weight.
You never cleaned a Octane 9 or shot much cast 38 or 22lr? :mrgreen: weight different not even a real factor. ( Maybe for kids ) The 45 can handle 357 mag making better choice for rifle too.. :P

Service? Getting O-rings is easier than fixing mount problems or even providing flash hiders! Oh,,,,,,,,, and that fail of 10/22 and 300 blk handi shortage :mrgreen:

I own two AAC cans so can give opinion and say of the two only trust SWR for no BS lifetime warranty, fast turn around, and commitment to customer, and company ownership ( not big corp doing stupid things like big gov). I did contact SWR 3 times and all three time was return call from personal cell phone. Twice was about shipping my old Octaine in for FREE upgrade to the new design. ( their idea)( don't think Silencerco even do that) Yes, I bet they swamped right now because they cornering the market making such good and strong products!

Where is AAC lately? Counting beans in the ally ? :mrgreen: I'm sure some at AAC really care but the hands are tied from big corp who can care less.
everyusernametaken
Senior Silent Operator

Post by everyusernametaken »

Emilio wrote:
everyusernametaken wrote:I like Silencerco's products - I just bought a Saker, which I strongly believe is the best 5.56 can with the best mounting system on the market - but I also have a lot of respect for AAC, and I see the poor customer service thing thrown around a lot (seemingly always by the SWR fans). However, every account of dealing with AAC CS that I've seen in the past year at least was very positive. I've read horror stories involving them from way back, but then I've also just sent the same email to Silencerco support 3 times over the last month without a single response, so it seems like there's enough bad experience to go around in the industry these days. I just heard of someone emailing AAC about some replacement o-rings and having them sent out the next day free of charge. That's infinitely better to me than not answering your customers' support requests. The excuse of too many emails to reply to them all is NOT acceptable for support requests from paying customers.

You never cleaned a Octane 9 or shot much cast 38 or 22lr? :mrgreen: weight different not even a real factor. ( Maybe for kids ) The 45 can handle 357 mag making better choice for rifle too.. :P

Service? Getting O-rings is easier than fixing mount problems or even providing flash hiders! Oh,,,,,,,,, and that fail of 10/22 and 300 blk handi shortage :mrgreen:

I own two AAC cans so can give opinion and say of the two only trust SWR for no BS lifetime warranty, fast turn around, and commitment to customer, and company ownership ( not big corp doing stupid things like big gov). I did contact SWR 3 times and all three time was return call from personal cell phone. Twice was about shipping my old Octaine in for FREE upgrade to the new design. ( their idea)( don't think Silencerco even do that) Yes, I bet they swamped right now because they cornering the market making such good and strong products!

Where is AAC lately? Counting beans in the ally ? :mrgreen: I'm sure some at AAC really care but the hands are tied from big corp who can care less.
If you had good communications from Silencerco in the past, good for you. But that doesn't mean squat for me, who has yet to even get a reply after 3 emails over a month. A customer's first impression of a company is critical, and my first attempt to contact them has not been reassuring. Again, excessive volume is NO excuse for failing to respond to a paying customer. If anything, I view increased demand as a liability, not a selling point - just look at the Saker mount situation right now. Resource allocation is part of doing business, no excuses.

I have no agenda against Silencerco. Hell, I've bought two of their products. I am always suspicious of anyone who ceaselessly promotes one brand over another. I don't believe for a second that every product made by either AAC or SWR is universally better, or that either company is above reproach. They both have strengths and weaknesses in different areas.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I contacted >>>SWR<<< not Silencerco.

Where is Silencerco in this thread? I still think of SWR as a "merged" "partner" who is holding its own! ( So I contact them and get result)

I actually dislike when people call SWR products Silencerco , why bother with two names then? Does Henry have a hunchback or something? :lol:
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Great now I need a Octane 45! lol

Buy the flush mount piston for the 1911/tirant ;)

Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Is there "short" pistons for the Octane/Osprey(same pistons I believe)?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

seattlite wrote:Is there "short" pistons for the Octane/Osprey(same pistons I believe)?
No but he also has his barrel cut down.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Emilio wrote:
seattlite wrote:Is there "short" pistons for the Octane/Osprey(same pistons I believe)?
No but he also has his barrel cut down.
Ahh.... Here is an uncut barrel with the short piston for comparision:

Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

The full "skinny" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrVFu6H9MvU

The TR still longer though but looks nice flush.

I cut and thread a 6" SL barrel for the Octane , I guess the piston could be cut some too but need to look at it first.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Emilio wrote:The full "skinny" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrVFu6H9MvU

The TR still longer though but looks nice flush.

I cut and thread a 6" SL barrel for the Octane , I guess the piston could be cut some too but need to look at it first.

My gunsmith turned 1/1,000 off the piston to make room as the piston and bushing would touch when the the silencers weight was added on. He cut it so exact that when I threaded on the can the piston ever so slightly would touch the face of the bushing so our fix was just to turn a tad off the piston to give the 1911's bushing face some clearance. I have the EGW large bushing and plug. I love it though! Its so friggin exact, its perfect.
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
Andrew@Silencerco
Silent But Deadly

Post by Andrew@Silencerco »

everyusernametaken wrote:I've read horror stories involving them from way back, but then I've also just sent the same email to Silencerco support 3 times over the last month without a single response, so it seems like there's enough bad experience to go around in the industry these days.

It appears that we are having some technical issues with the contact email on Silencerco's website. I am the person that responds to the emails and I assure you I didn't get your inquiries. I know that's no excuse, it is our responsibility to make sure our website is functioning and you are getting your questions answered. Please contact me directly at [email protected] or by phone at 801-417-5384 and I will get you taken care of.
Andrew Herbst
Silencerco/SWR
Customer Service
801-417-5384
[email protected]
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Emilio wrote:I'm sure some at AAC really care but the hands are tied from big corp who can care less.
:shock: