What's the longest you've ever waited?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, renegade, bakerjw

User avatar
GatoMontes
Silent Operator
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI

What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by GatoMontes » Sun May 19, 2013 8:55 am

For a silencer from the day you put your money down?

For me? Drum roll please...

378 DAYS, and counting!

Payed for the can May 7th of last year, was told roughly three weeks till arrival, six months later it arrived and now I'm waiting for the transfer process to finalize. Pretty nuts right!?

Given some of the comments I've seen on here I doubt I'm the only one who has waited over a frickin year for a suppressor, can anyone top that?

User avatar
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:32 pm
Location: Webster Parish

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by Dr.K » Sun May 19, 2013 10:50 am

In Louisiana its always a year as we also must aquire state approval for each transfer (dealer/dealer and to the customer) its always a kick in the nuts. I don't know the actual days, but I have you beat at 13 months-ish
Kyle O.

User avatar
GatoMontes
Silent Operator
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by GatoMontes » Sun May 19, 2013 11:30 am

Well I don't have it yet, so I accept your challenge!

I didn't know that about Louisiana, that really does suck.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by Bendersquint » Sun May 19, 2013 11:37 am

I waited 14 months for my first stamp to be approved.

So when i hear people cry or get angry over 6 months i am not phased.

For one customer we had a number of years ago he was told by the mfg that it was about 2 weeks from delivery and we didnt actually see it in the shop for almost a year and a half. One of the major manufacturers too!

wacki
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 913
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by wacki » Sun May 19, 2013 12:10 pm

GatoMontes wrote:For a silencer from the day you put your money down?

For me? Drum roll please...

378 DAYS, and counting!

Payed for the can May 7th of last year, was told roughly three weeks till arrival, six months later it arrived and now I'm waiting for the transfer process to finalize. Pretty nuts right!?

Given some of the comments I've seen on here I doubt I'm the only one who has waited over a frickin year for a suppressor, can anyone top that?

I've got a Form 3 from January 13th that's still ticking. No end in sight. :-( It's why I promote silencershop.com & in-stock locally so much.

User avatar
GatoMontes
Silent Operator
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by GatoMontes » Sun May 19, 2013 1:34 pm

[quote=wacki]It's why I promote silencershop.com & in-stock locally so much.[/quote]

And that's it right there. I suppose if it's gonna happen then it might as well be my first transfer, but I tell you I will NEVER again put money down on a can that isn't available at that very moment. If I had went with a distributor that had one in stock I would have had to wait for the Form 3 and paid a fee to the transfer dealer, but I would have had my can for almost 6 months by now.

wacki
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 913
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by wacki » Sun May 19, 2013 2:40 pm

GatoMontes wrote:If I had went with a distributor that had one in stock I would have had to wait for the Form 3 and paid a fee to the transfer dealer, but I would have had my can for almost 6 months by now.
Form 3's are free. If the dealer is charging you anything other than a $75 transfer fee (when buying from silencershop) then find a new dealer. Price of the can should never be above MSRP.

I've ordered cans from 3 different distributors and silencershop.com has consistently been the fastest. And fastest by a long shot. Silencershop's slowest is twice as fast as the next guys fastest. It may not their fault (rather the ATF region they live in) but you get no communication and it's hard to tell if someone screwed up the forms or not.

I've got 9 cans pending from distributors. So I've got a pretty good 1st hand experience sample size.

HK45
Silent Operator
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by HK45 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:10 pm

I just had 3 suppressors approved in about 5 1/2 months.
All were in stock at my dealer.

December 2012 to May 2013.

User avatar
GatoMontes
Silent Operator
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by GatoMontes » Sun May 19, 2013 3:17 pm

What, does SilencerShop dictate the amount a transfer dealer can charge if I buy from them or something? Dealers around me, closest one being an hour away, charge $100 for their services and from what I can tell their nonexistent competition allows them to.

The distance and the transfer cost is what drove my decision to use the local yahoos for this endeavor, but hey, I know for next time. Least then I'd know what the F--k is going on at all times through the process.

grinnie
Silent Operator
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:07 pm
Location: North Canton, OH

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by grinnie » Sun May 19, 2013 3:19 pm

14 months for my SWR Octane 9 HD. I bought it from Bryan at M3 when announced at 2011 S.H.O.T. Then waited for SWR to start making them. Then wait till they shipped to M3. Then wait some more on the Form 3 to get it in state. Then wait awhile longer for the Form 4 to go through. :(

The lesson I learned is that I will never buy another can unless it is in stock and ready to go. My last 3 have come from Silencershop dot com and always when they had them. :D
Loud Guns Suck.

User avatar
GatoMontes
Silent Operator
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by GatoMontes » Sun May 19, 2013 3:28 pm

HK45 wrote:I just had 3 suppressors approved in about 5 1/2 months.
All were in stock at my dealer.

December 2012 to May 2013.
No kidding! Ha, HA, ha, hm, mm, m.

Hey HK45, next time you have an open wound you let me know, I'll bring the 1lb bag of salt over and start stuffing it in. Have to return the favor!

HK45
Silent Operator
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by HK45 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:46 pm

GatoMontes wrote:
HK45 wrote:I just had 3 suppressors approved in about 5 1/2 months.
All were in stock at my dealer.

December 2012 to May 2013.
No kidding! Ha, HA, ha, hm, mm, m.

Hey HK45, next time you have an open wound you let me know, I'll bring the 1lb bag of salt over and start stuffing it in. Have to return the favor!
The ATF examiner for Texas is on the job and working hard.
A lot of Texans are getting form 4's back between 5 and 6 months.

You'll have to take a number on the salt, there's a lot of people in line
in front of you.

wacki
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 913
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by wacki » Sun May 19, 2013 6:56 pm

GatoMontes wrote:What, does SilencerShop dictate the amount a transfer dealer can charge if I buy from them or something? Dealers around me, closest one being an hour away, charge $100 for their services and from what I can tell their nonexistent competition allows them to.

The distance and the transfer cost is what drove my decision to use the local yahoos for this endeavor, but hey, I know for next time. Least then I'd know what the F--k is going on at all times through the process.

Shop closest to me charges $100. Shop near my gf's work charges $75. I've seen people charge $50 but not near me. I'm just saying ask around. Silencershop, silencerco and several other websites have lists of 07/02's near you.

User avatar
strobro32
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:18 pm

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by strobro32 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:22 pm

I've had 4 stamps take over a year. I'm still waiting for one I ordered November 2011. :)
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.

User avatar
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: wisconsin

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by twodollarbill » Sun May 19, 2013 7:45 pm

I can remember when form4 transfers took less than a month.
All of mine lately have been 6 months tops.

Kramer
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1078
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:13 pm
Location: nePA

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by Kramer » Sun May 19, 2013 8:13 pm

twodollarbill wrote:I can remember when form4 transfers took less than a month.
All of mine lately have been 6 months tops.
Me too, that was around 2004-2006ish for me. Now five and a half to six months.

jmhallrn
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:44 am

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by jmhallrn » Sun May 19, 2013 8:44 pm

My dealer only charges $15 if I purchase a suppressor elsewhere and have it transferred through him, but he has almost nothing in stock. I plan on doing my next one from Silencer Shop.

SRM
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1825
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:20 pm
Location: wyoming

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by SRM » Sun May 19, 2013 8:48 pm

strobro32 wrote:I've had 4 stamps take over a year. I'm still waiting for one I ordered November 2011. :)
My Torch was a year from paid to in hand.

rimshaker
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 am
Location: FL

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by rimshaker » Sun May 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Let me guess....your local dealer ordered directly from the manufacturer last May?

SRM
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1825
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:20 pm
Location: wyoming

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by SRM » Sun May 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Dont realy remember when but it was from the mfg with a special thread so I had no choice. Well worth the wait. 8)

User avatar
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:40 am
Location: Montana Territory

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by MJF1911 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:55 am

I've had my 300TM on order from AAC for over a year now.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K

User avatar
hs338lapua
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:56 am

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by hs338lapua » Mon May 20, 2013 2:48 am

Bought 4 silencers at an estate auction. All 4 took 26 months to transfer to my father on form 4's.
You can't ever have too much KFC!

User avatar
GatoMontes
Silent Operator
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by GatoMontes » Mon May 20, 2013 3:19 am

rimshaker wrote:Let me guess....your local dealer ordered directly from the manufacturer last May?
They actually ordered a batch at SHOT show several months prior to me purchasing. So yeah, ordered directly from the manuf. while hundreds sit in the warehouses of other dealers. We all gotta learn somehow, right?

User avatar
Conqueror
Elite Member
Posts: 4808
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: RTP, NC

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by Conqueror » Mon May 20, 2013 10:39 am

Longest wait for me was for a Cyclone with SAKO threads. Hardly anyone keeps those in stock. I ordered it from Major (back when he was still dealing with individual customers), but he had to order it from AAC, so it was two Form 3's (one to Bryon and one to my dealer) and then a Form 4 at the height of Obama-related transfer craziness. That was about a year if I remember right.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]

User avatar
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:30 am

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by eric10mm » Mon May 20, 2013 11:38 am

wacki wrote:
GatoMontes wrote:What, does SilencerShop dictate the amount a transfer dealer can charge if I buy from them or something? Dealers around me, closest one being an hour away, charge $100 for their services and from what I can tell their nonexistent competition allows them to.

The distance and the transfer cost is what drove my decision to use the local yahoos for this endeavor, but hey, I know for next time. Least then I'd know what the F--k is going on at all times through the process.

Shop closest to me charges $100. Shop near my gf's work charges $75. I've seen people charge $50 but not near me. I'm just saying ask around. Silencershop, silencerco and several other websites have lists of 07/02's near you.
My local NFA dealer charges a $50 fee for inbound NFA transfers, but $0 if you buy from his stock.

Post Reply