What's the longest you've ever waited?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

GatoMontes
Silent Operator

What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by GatoMontes »

For a silencer from the day you put your money down?

For me? Drum roll please...

378 DAYS, and counting!

Payed for the can May 7th of last year, was told roughly three weeks till arrival, six months later it arrived and now I'm waiting for the transfer process to finalize. Pretty nuts right!?

Given some of the comments I've seen on here I doubt I'm the only one who has waited over a frickin year for a suppressor, can anyone top that?
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Re: What's the longest you've ever waited?

Post by Dr.K »

In Louisiana its always a year as we also must aquire state approval for each transfer (dealer/dealer and to the customer) its always a kick in the nuts. I don't know the actual days, but I have you beat at 13 months-ish
Kyle O.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

Well I don't have it yet, so I accept your challenge!

I didn't know that about Louisiana, that really does suck.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I waited 14 months for my first stamp to be approved.

So when i hear people cry or get angry over 6 months i am not phased.

For one customer we had a number of years ago he was told by the mfg that it was about 2 weeks from delivery and we didnt actually see it in the shop for almost a year and a half. One of the major manufacturers too!
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

GatoMontes wrote:For a silencer from the day you put your money down?

For me? Drum roll please...

378 DAYS, and counting!

Payed for the can May 7th of last year, was told roughly three weeks till arrival, six months later it arrived and now I'm waiting for the transfer process to finalize. Pretty nuts right!?

Given some of the comments I've seen on here I doubt I'm the only one who has waited over a frickin year for a suppressor, can anyone top that?

I've got a Form 3 from January 13th that's still ticking. No end in sight. :-( It's why I promote silencershop.com & in-stock locally so much.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

[quote=wacki]It's why I promote silencershop.com & in-stock locally so much.[/quote]

And that's it right there. I suppose if it's gonna happen then it might as well be my first transfer, but I tell you I will NEVER again put money down on a can that isn't available at that very moment. If I had went with a distributor that had one in stock I would have had to wait for the Form 3 and paid a fee to the transfer dealer, but I would have had my can for almost 6 months by now.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

GatoMontes wrote:If I had went with a distributor that had one in stock I would have had to wait for the Form 3 and paid a fee to the transfer dealer, but I would have had my can for almost 6 months by now.
Form 3's are free. If the dealer is charging you anything other than a $75 transfer fee (when buying from silencershop) then find a new dealer. Price of the can should never be above MSRP.

I've ordered cans from 3 different distributors and silencershop.com has consistently been the fastest. And fastest by a long shot. Silencershop's slowest is twice as fast as the next guys fastest. It may not their fault (rather the ATF region they live in) but you get no communication and it's hard to tell if someone screwed up the forms or not.

I've got 9 cans pending from distributors. So I've got a pretty good 1st hand experience sample size.
HK45
Silent Operator

Post by HK45 »

I just had 3 suppressors approved in about 5 1/2 months.
All were in stock at my dealer.

December 2012 to May 2013.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

What, does SilencerShop dictate the amount a transfer dealer can charge if I buy from them or something? Dealers around me, closest one being an hour away, charge $100 for their services and from what I can tell their nonexistent competition allows them to.

The distance and the transfer cost is what drove my decision to use the local yahoos for this endeavor, but hey, I know for next time. Least then I'd know what the F--k is going on at all times through the process.
grinnie
Silent Operator

Post by grinnie »

14 months for my SWR Octane 9 HD. I bought it from Bryan at M3 when announced at 2011 S.H.O.T. Then waited for SWR to start making them. Then wait till they shipped to M3. Then wait some more on the Form 3 to get it in state. Then wait awhile longer for the Form 4 to go through. :(

The lesson I learned is that I will never buy another can unless it is in stock and ready to go. My last 3 have come from Silencershop dot com and always when they had them. :D
Loud Guns Suck.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

HK45 wrote:I just had 3 suppressors approved in about 5 1/2 months.

No kidding! Ha, HA, ha, hm, mm, m.

Hey HK45, next time you have an open wound you let me know, I'll bring the 1lb bag of salt over and start stuffing it in. Have to return the favor!
HK45
Silent Operator

Post by HK45 »

GatoMontes wrote:
HK45 wrote:I just had 3 suppressors approved in about 5 1/2 months.

No kidding! Ha, HA, ha, hm, mm, m.

Hey HK45, next time you have an open wound you let me know, I'll bring the 1lb bag of salt over and start stuffing it in. Have to return the favor!
The ATF examiner for Texas is on the job and working hard.
A lot of Texans are getting form 4's back between 5 and 6 months.

You'll have to take a number on the salt, there's a lot of people in line
in front of you.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

GatoMontes wrote:What, does SilencerShop dictate the amount a transfer dealer can charge if I buy from them or something? Dealers around me, closest one being an hour away, charge $100 for their services and from what I can tell their nonexistent competition allows them to.

The distance and the transfer cost is what drove my decision to use the local yahoos for this endeavor, but hey, I know for next time. Least then I'd know what the F--k is going on at all times through the process.

Shop closest to me charges $100. Shop near my gf's work charges $75. I've seen people charge $50 but not near me. I'm just saying ask around. Silencershop, silencerco and several other websites have lists of 07/02's near you.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I've had 4 stamps take over a year. I'm still waiting for one I ordered November 2011. :)
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

I can remember when form4 transfers took less than a month.
All of mine lately have been 6 months tops.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

twodollarbill wrote:I can remember when form4 transfers took less than a month.
All of mine lately have been 6 months tops.
Me too, that was around 2004-2006ish for me. Now five and a half to six months.
jmhallrn

Post by jmhallrn »

My dealer only charges $15 if I purchase a suppressor elsewhere and have it transferred through him, but he has almost nothing in stock. I plan on doing my next one from Silencer Shop.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

strobro32 wrote:I've had 4 stamps take over a year. I'm still waiting for one I ordered November 2011. :)
My Torch was a year from paid to in hand.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Let me guess....your local dealer ordered directly from the manufacturer last May?
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Dont realy remember when but it was from the mfg with a special thread so I had no choice. Well worth the wait. 8)
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I've had my 300TM on order from AAC for over a year now.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
hs338lapua
Silent But Deadly

Post by hs338lapua »

Bought 4 silencers at an estate auction. All 4 took 26 months to transfer to my father on form 4's.
You can't ever have too much KFC!
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

rimshaker wrote:Let me guess....your local dealer ordered directly from the manufacturer last May?
They actually ordered a batch at SHOT show several months prior to me purchasing. So yeah, ordered directly from the manuf. while hundreds sit in the warehouses of other dealers. We all gotta learn somehow, right?
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Longest wait for me was for a Cyclone with SAKO threads. Hardly anyone keeps those in stock. I ordered it from Major (back when he was still dealing with individual customers), but he had to order it from AAC, so it was two Form 3's (one to Bryon and one to my dealer) and then a Form 4 at the height of Obama-related transfer craziness. That was about a year if I remember right.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

wacki wrote:
GatoMontes wrote:What, does SilencerShop dictate the amount a transfer dealer can charge if I buy from them or something? Dealers around me, closest one being an hour away, charge $100 for their services and from what I can tell their nonexistent competition allows them to.

Shop closest to me charges $100. Shop near my gf's work charges $75. I've seen people charge $50 but not near me. I'm just saying ask around. Silencershop, silencerco and several other websites have lists of 07/02's near you.
My local NFA dealer charges a $50 fee for inbound NFA transfers, but $0 if you buy from his stock.