8 weeks to pending now.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wacki
Silent But Deadly

8 weeks to pending now.

Post by wacki »

:-(

Gotta wonder what is going on. Keeps getting longer and longer.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: 8 weeks to pending now.

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote::-(

Gotta wonder what is going on. Keeps getting longer and longer.
If people would stop getting interested in NFA then the waits wouldn't keep getting longer.

NFA is becoming less and less an exclusive club, applications each month are breaking records.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

Yep, my latest was 7.5 weeks to pending.
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

Somewhat related - I called today for a form I sent in January and the guy gave me an approval estimate. He said should be August. That's the first time I've ever heard them speculate on when I should get the form back. May not be new... I haven't called on anything in a couple years.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

bigbigpig wrote:Somewhat related - I called today for a form I sent in January and the guy gave me an approval estimate. He said should be August. That's the first time I've ever heard them speculate on when I should get the form back. May not be new... I haven't called on anything in a couple years.
A full 6 months from the pending date is their standard line to callers.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

On another note, has anyone used an MO for payment? I'm wondering if it takes longer for them to cash MOs or something? They received my paperwork on 4/22 (confirmed with postal tracking) but have yet to cash my MO (had USPS trace it as well.) The only reason I used an MO this time is bc I had some disposable funds that my chief financial officer (wife) did not know about. She hates NFA and the tax associated with it. :shock:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

samson7x wrote:On another note, has anyone used an MO for payment? I'm wondering if it takes longer for them to cash MOs or something? They received my paperwork on 4/22 (confirmed with postal tracking) but have yet to cash my MO (had USPS trace it as well.) The only reason I used an MO this time is bc I had some disposable funds that my chief financial officer (wife) did not know about. She hates NFA and the tax associated with it. :shock:
They all take the same time, doesn't matter if it is personal check, MO etc...
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

Bendersquint wrote:
samson7x wrote:On another note, has anyone used an MO for payment? I'm wondering if it takes longer for them to cash MOs or something? They received my paperwork on 4/22 (confirmed with postal tracking) but have yet to cash my MO (had USPS trace it as well.) The only reason I used an MO this time is bc I had some disposable funds that my chief financial officer (wife) did not know about. She hates NFA and the tax associated with it. :shock:
Has it been taking >1 month to cash lately? All my previous checks were cashed within a week.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

samson7x wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Has it been taking >1 month to cash lately? All my previous checks were cashed within a week.
I just did one and it was cashed in about a week (mailed 04/29, cashed 05/07).
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

Ok I just spoke with another USPS rep and it was cashed 4/26...not sure why the other lady said it hadn't. Perhaps she keyed in the number incorrectly or something. Oh well, carry on.
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

This same topic came up about a month ago and I asked the following question. I'll quote it here since no one answered it:
marcus99 wrote: Since this "6 weeks to pending" thing is recent, do we know if that 6 weeks is just a portion of the 6 months, or in addition to? It would seem that you'd need to have someone who experienced an 8 month wait that included that "6 weeks to pending" to confirm it is in addition to the 6 months. Perhaps it is just a change in the steps of the 6 months. Follow me?

I read that a bunch of new examiners were hired back in Dec of last year. Any idea when they might start working on NFA forms?
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

marcus99 wrote:This same topic came up about a month ago and I asked the following question. I'll quote it here since no one answered it:
marcus99 wrote: Since this "6 weeks to pending" thing is recent, do we know if that 6 weeks is just a portion of the 6 months, or in addition to? It would seem that you'd need to have someone who experienced an 8 month wait that included that "6 weeks to pending" to confirm it is in addition to the 6 months. Perhaps it is just a change in the steps of the 6 months. Follow me?

I read that a bunch of new examiners were hired back in Dec of last year. Any idea when they might start working on NFA forms?
The "cashed to pending" timeframe (Atlanta to Martinsburg bulk shipment) is not part of the official 6 month waiting period...never was.

When it used to take 2-3 weeks it wasn't such a big deal. But now that "cashed to pending" is measured in months, it definitely affects the overall waiting period.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rimshaker wrote:
marcus99 wrote:This same topic came up about a month ago and I asked the following question. I'll quote it here since no one answered it:

The "cashed to pending" timeframe (Atlanta to Martinsburg bulk shipment) is not part of the official 6 month waiting period...never was.

When it used to take 2-3 weeks it wasn't such a big deal. But now that "cashed to pending" is measured in months, it definitely affects the overall waiting period.
If everyone stopped submitting new forms there wouldn't be such a backlog! I know thats not practical or reasonable but thats why it takes so long, got metric tons of forms to approve.
KSmoker

Post by KSmoker »

If only there were a way to streamline and optimize the process using the modern miracle of computers.

But alas, it's a government agency. :roll:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

KSmoker wrote:If only there were a way to streamline and optimize the process using the modern miracle of computers.

But alas, it's a government agency. :roll:
How do you sign an computerized form with an original signature? Thats one of the holdups.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Shouldn't be a holdup. The legal community has all sorts of ways to make legally binding "signatures" electronically. When we bought our current house the entire contract was "signed" electronically by numerous parties via email links to a secure third-party server.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Conqueror wrote:Shouldn't be a holdup. The legal community has all sorts of ways to make legally binding "signatures" electronically. When we bought our current house the entire contract was "signed" electronically by numerous parties via email links to a secure third-party server.
Same here, but I know this is a hangup for the ATF.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

I'm thinking approvals are taking more than 6 months now......I took possession of 3 .22 cans around mid-February and the pending to ownership range was right at 5.5 months. I've got 5 other cans that went pending just 6 weeks after the .22 cans and none of them are approved yet (unless the dealer just hasn't called me yet, but I doubt that highly). So, by my figuring these cans have already taken at least 2 weeks longer to approve and a couple of them longer than that.....guess the recent downturn in approval times has made an upturn and is now at least 6 months and some longer......who knows.....maybe all 5 that are almost done all went into problem status.....I try not to think about it and hope that the time passes more quickly
I've gotta stop this habit.
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

As a side topic, how do I find out when I get approved? Mailed things in December and I have not called my dealer or the ATF. Being patient and not stalking them.

I know they received the packet and I paid via mo.

Was going to wait until August. Thoughts?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Liver wrote:As a side topic, how do I find out when I get approved? Mailed things in December and I have not called my dealer or the ATF. Being patient and not stalking them.

I know they received the packet and I paid via mo.

Was going to wait until August. Thoughts?
304-616-4500

Have your serial number, your name, and your dealers name ready. They will give you the status of your pending application.
vtoc

Post by vtoc »

My check was cash 5/3, When I checked today on the status and it was not in the system yet.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

vtoc wrote:My check was cash 5/3, When I checked today on the status and it was not in the system yet.

Give it another couple weeks and call again...I bet it will be pending then.