Quietest powder for suppressed .45

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator

Quietest powder for suppressed .45

Post by rjacobs »

Been loading .45 for a while. Used lots of different powders. Currently been using TiteGroup, Bullseye, Clays and I think one or two others for jacketed and WST for cast lead(which I dont want to shoot through the can).

Trying to quiet down my suppressed .45 loads a little bit without sacrificing velocity.

Reading that a faster burning powder will be quieter and single base powders are preferred due to their supposed cooler temperatures they should in theory be quieter. Titegroup is pretty fast IMO, but is double base. Seen N310 recommended as well as Solo 1000 which are on the top end of the burn chart. Any opinions of whether I should just stick with Titegroup or try one of the VV powders or Solo 1000? Titewad is up there with N310 in the speed department, but not sure on single base, and I have seen a ton of that locally for cheap.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Re: Quietest powder for suppressed .45

Post by twodollarbill »

I have got my best results loading with Unique for 45acp.
6.0grs stays just under 900fps.
Functions all my 1911's suppressed.
Works great in my MAC too.
rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjacobs »

twodollarbill wrote:I have got my best results loading with Unique for 45acp.
6.0grs stays just under 900fps.
Functions all my 1911's suppressed.
Works great in my MAC too.
im not worried about function, I have 6 or so loads with various powders that function. I was looking for one that is the quietest. Unique is pretty slow compared to the rest I am looking at, which, in theory, should be louder than a faster powder. Its pretty hard to get .45ACP to go supersonic so also not terribly worried about that.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

As you say, fast burning and cool seems to work better for quiet loads. I already load Solo1000 for all of my IPSC/IDPA/steel/3-gun matches in .38 Spcl, .40, .45 & 9MM, and also apply it to any 9mm rounds intended for suppressor use. It is the quietest of anything I have tried so far, but I don't have a .45 can yet. Solo is a good match for .45, it is inexpensive and used to be easier to get than VV. It meters well from my Hornady, but sometimes takes a few throws to settle down. I learned to start the powder throws above intended charge weight and titrate down to the goal. If you can find it, I'd recommend trying at least a pound of Solo1000.

The one problem with Solo is lot to lot variance is high, as much as .5 gr in pistols, so if you stick with it you are better off buying 8# jugs or higher. I've been thru ~48 lbs of Solo100 so far, and see no reason to change.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Titegroup works and sounds the quietest to me.