Beretta 21A or P22 for small size suppressed 22?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Re: Beretta 21A or P22 for small size suppressed 22?

Post by GatoMontes »

PorkChopsMmm wrote:GatoMontes -- We are all gentlemen here, what is your 21A threading job costing you? I need an overall cost to figure out if pursuing this is worth it.
Jim charges $135 for just the barrel, $155 for the whole pistol, both of which include the thread protector and return shipping.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

PorkChopsMmm wrote: I then had a crazy thought... has anyone used a threaded USFA Zip gun? From reviews it appears to be totally unreliable and have weird ergonomics but it takes 10/22 mags (so 10 rounds up to 25+) and is made out of polymer so I am guessing it is light.
The barrel has a steel liner that is easy to remove. It could be threaded and have an adapter screwed on pretty easily.

I'd thought about having it done, until I tried shooting the gun. I can overlook that the thing has the ergonomics of a brick. I'm not really thrilled that you need a pair of vice grips to get the 10-round Ruger magazine out of the gun. Once you buy it, the instructions tell you to not expect it to run with a BX-25 mag unless you get their mag upgrade kit.

But when you can't get more than 2 or 3 rounds from the Ruger rotary mag without a malfunction, I'm not going to waste my time trying to put a can on there.

It's a nifty idea that needs a whole lot more work to get it running right.
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

Wahnsinn wrote:Hi Desert Dog has threaded models ready to go for $487 (Inox in stock, $467 for black but it's out of stock)

http://hi-desertdog.com/handguns-silenc ... -22lr.html

Might be your best bet unless you can find one on the cheap used or something. Just the threaded barrel is $173.
Yeah, I was watching one of those for awhile. I saw him move it over to Gunbroker, because it wasn't selling on the site. Idiots on gunbroker bid it up to over $800,,, :lol:

Only flaw with the 21 is the mags. Mine won't run when fully loaded, bullets tip down and jam. Still fun to shoot though,,,

nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

PorkChopsMmm wrote:I currently own a Ruger Mark III threaded and use my SS Sparrow with it. I carry it around on my land to dispatch critters and have realized it is just too big. I leave it in the house rather than carry it around because of the size and weight. I am looking to move to a physically smaller gun -- any recommendations? I don't need target shooting accuracy. I have seen the 21A recommended for small size and the P22 just looks so *light*. Any other recommendations? I like the P22 because I can put a light on the bottom with the built in rail, downside of the 21A. Should I look at the Ruger SR22?
P22 = winning
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

PorkChopsMmm wrote:eric, thanks. I don't have much experience with 1911's so I don't have the muscle memory.
It's not just 1911s. I grip all pistols the exact same way with both thumbs pointing forward, parallel to the frame. When I grasp a revolver I have to make a VERY conscious effort to roll my left thumb down and away from the front of the cylinder area.

A couple weekends ago I had the opportunity to play with a postie B&T MP9/TP9. As I was preparing to shoot it, and already had assumed my normal grip for a gun with a VFG, a friend who was watching yelled STOP! to me. He said "Eric, look where your left thumb is." As usual it was pointed forward which, with the TP9s short barrel, put it slightly ahead of the muzzle. Not in front of the bore mind you, but adjacent to it which might have caused a slight burning sensation.

Therefore I choose to, as much as possible, alter my guns to fit me rather than the other way around. So, because of Ruger's non-traditional safety lever orientation, I cannot own a SR22.
Last edited by eric10mm on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

laxguy59 wrote:
eric10mm wrote:
rockman96 wrote:The 21A is a higher quality gun... it's steel, and just better built. The downfall of the 21A is it's sights, they are all but nonexistent. P22's are light, fun to shoot, fairly accurate (they do have decent sights), and carry 3 extra rounds. The P22's downfall is that they have been known to have their slides just break in two. The Beretta won't do that.
Don't forget that the 21A has no extractor. So once the chamber gets dirty the reliability will fall off quickly.
I fired 600 rounds suppressed in a day with no issues, so it would have to be some kind of crazy dirty.
Thank you for the positive hands-on report. Not (yet) owning a 21A myself, I was basing my post on the reports of others. A 21A is in my future. 8)
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

I bought mine from Hi-desert dog. Its been a great little gun!

Video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdOXmGNN3bI
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

I have a threaded 21. The sights are about useless. I put a laser on mine and I hate lasers. No extractor is a problem. First 50 rounds usually work after a cleaning, after that not so good.
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunningbadger »

paperhunter wrote:I have a threaded 21. The sights are about useless. I put a laser on mine and I hate lasers. No extractor is a problem. First 50 rounds usually work after a cleaning, after that not so good.
Idk why but I've had great luck with mine. 200 rounds without a cleaning and with a can and no mals
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

coyote223 wrote:Only flaw with the 21 is the mags. Mine won't run when fully loaded, bullets tip down and jam.
And I thought it was just me. It seems to run better when I download the 7 rd mag to only 6 rds + 1 in the pipe.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Haven't seen anyone mention the Walther PPK/S 22, no love for it? Thought I recall that it's threaded the same way the P22 is, so just need to buy the little adapter and you're good to go. Little bigger than the 21A, but looks nice :D
PorkChopsMmm

Post by PorkChopsMmm »

Funny you mention those. I took a look at the Walther TPH -- not the prettiest gun and I have never seen one for sale. But it looks like it is also a comparable host to a 21A?
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Well they recently did a remake of the PPK/S 22, so it's available at least (in theory).
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

700PSS wrote:
coyote223 wrote:Only flaw with the 21 is the mags. Mine won't run when fully loaded, bullets tip down and jam.
And I thought it was just me. It seems to run better when I download the 7 rd mag to only 6 rds + 1 in the pipe.
Tried that today, worked well. Thanks,,,
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Wahnsinn wrote:Well they recently did a remake of the PPK/S 22, so it's available at least (in theory).
Is it me, or does this look like it has a threaded barrel like the P22?
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

It does, uses the same adapter.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Made by Umarex. Alloy frame. No thank you.

If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

The new PPK/S might very well be a fine firearm but I cannot shake the Umarex stigma from my mind. Such a shame that the first experience many get with Walther is with the P22, and it's not even made by them. I love my P1 and the PPQ is a dream to shoot.

If you are interested in 22 PPKs why not try the Firestorm/Bersa Thunder in 22? Certainly has a better reputation than any Umarex offering (although you would have to handle the threading yourself).
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

strobro32 wrote:Made by Umarex. Alloy frame. No thank you.
Ah, that sucks.
PorkChopsMmm

Post by PorkChopsMmm »

I think I am going to locally sell my 22/45 TB model and then buy a SR22 TB model. I don't have the need for both. The SR22 seems to be a good blend of smaller and lighter than the 22/45 but without some of the teething problems or cost of the 21A.
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

PorkChopsMmm wrote:I think I am going to locally sell my 22/45 TB model and then buy a SR22 TB model. I don't have the need for both. The SR22 seems to be a good blend of smaller and lighter than the 22/45 but without some of the teething problems or cost of the 21A.
I don't know if I got lucky but my 21A has none of the problems described in this thread. It holds 7+1 reliably, stays reliable when dirty, and even flicking the barrel up can throw a round out of the barrel so I've never had to really pry one out(and if I did I just get a nail under the rim from the feedramp). The only real negative is theat the sights on it get very occluded by whatever can you have since they are so low.
PorkChopsMmm

Post by PorkChopsMmm »

I posted a FS post on a state level gun forum and got a message from a guy wanting to trade a NIB P22 for my Ruger Mark III 22/45 threaded barrel model. I want to wait for a sale and buy SR22 TB but this is tempting.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

strobro32 wrote:Made by Umarex. Alloy frame. No thank you.

+3!

That metallurgy did not last when used for my Hopalong Cassidy 1944 cap gun
six shooters ... so I certainly would never ZINC to buy a real
weapon made of that. :)
PorkChopsMmm

Post by PorkChopsMmm »

Haha, thanks Historian.
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

laxguy59 wrote:
PorkChopsMmm wrote:I think I am going to locally sell my 22/45 TB model and then buy a SR22 TB model. I don't have the need for both. The SR22 seems to be a good blend of smaller and lighter than the 22/45 but without some of the teething problems or cost of the 21A.
I don't know if I got lucky but my 21A has none of the problems described in this thread. It holds 7+1 reliably, stays reliable when dirty, and even flicking the barrel up can throw a round out of the barrel so I've never had to really pry one out(and if I did I just get a nail under the rim from the feedramp). The only real negative is theat the sights on it get very occluded by whatever can you have since they are so low.
laxguy - are you able to get your 21 to function with standard velocity ammunition? Mine won't function reliably unless i'm using high(er) velocity 22lr.