What .45 to suppress and with which suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Jer
Silent Operator

What .45 to suppress and with which suppressor

Post by Jer »

A few weeks back I posted a poll as to which of my weapons should be suppressed next. The advice and reponse was fantastic and I've since placed an order with The Silencer Shop for my next suppressor based on that advice.

Now I have another question for the collective here.

I want a .45 - I've never before owned one and the closest I have is a Glock .40 cal, the Model .22 which I swap back and forth from .40 to .357 SIG.

However with my foray into suppressors recently, I've decided that having a .45 that was also a dedicated suppressed .45 would be my next handgun purchase. But knowing nothing of .45s (who is quality, who to avoid, who makes the best host for a can...) I decided to pick your brains for the best setup.

I don't know if I should go the 1911 route with a can or go with something like the FN...

Considering this will be a dedicated suppressed .45, what model/brand/style .45 handgun would you recommend as being the best to suppress?
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, shall make violent revolution inevitable." - John F. Kennedy.
HK45
Silent Operator

Re: What .45 to suppress and with which suppressor

Post by HK45 »

Check out the HK USP Tactical or the newer HK45 Tactical.
Both come suppressor ready with threaded barrels.

For a suppressor I'd go with either the Osprey 45 or the TiRant 45.
The TiRant 45 would be my first choice because it's user serviceable.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

My 1911 (Kimber Custom II) with a Silencerco 45 Osprey is pretty ridiculous. Uses a Storm Lake threaded barrel.

I'd say to find a 45 that you like, feels nice, shoots nice...worry about the suppression part after that. I don't know that there's a 45 host that's really louder than another, but somebody will probably chime in on that.
QuIet Noob
Silent Operator

Post by QuIet Noob »

Glock 21 with a Lone Wolf barrel suppresses nicely.

My favorite is a 1911 Remington R1 Enhanced with factory threaded barrel. It is accurate and economical.

Both wear a 45 Osprey.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Out of my 45's I have

TRP 1911
HK USP45 T
G21 SF

All are suppressed. The 1911 is noticeably quieter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5FRjCKHqo
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

the tirant45 does great. I use mine with a glock 21 and storm lake aftermarket barrel. I also shoot my glock 17 with my tirant45. though i think a dedicated 9mm supressor would be better.

I havent gotten a barrel for my 1911's yet to try that.
Last edited by ericlw on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

SWR Octane 45 is the best choice of 45 silencers right now unless you need a specific feature (Like the Osprey 45's eccentric design not needing tall sights).

The Octane is easier to take apart and clean and it's design will prevent the baffles from carbon welding themselves to the tube. It uses the pistons and other mounts of the Octane 9 and Osprey. It has a low street price and it is as quiet as the TiRant and Osprey.

As good as the Osprey and TiRant are, the Octane is a game changa and the only one that I'd consider.
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

chrismartin wrote:SWR Octane 45 is the best choice of 45 silencers right now unless you need a specific feature (Like the Osprey 45's eccentric design not needing tall sights).

The Octane is easier to take apart and clean and it's design will prevent the baffles from carbon welding themselves to the tube. It uses the pistons and other mounts of the Octane 9 and Osprey. It has a low street price and it is as quiet as the TiRant and Osprey.

As good as the Osprey and TiRant are, the Octane is a game changa and the only one that I'd consider.

a game changer?lol you must work for red jacket.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

If I had to pay for one it would be octane 45.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

45acp is an excellent caliber to suppress since the typical 230gr ammo is naturally subsonic already. No need to hunt down special ammo.

If you like your G22, consider getting a G21 with a factory threaded barrel. Glock only makes them for the G17, G19, and G21. Stick with OEM if given the choice. No need for any kind of break-in period either.

Only place that has any in stock currently is PSA: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... 6x1lh.html

To complete the setup, go with the new Octane 45. It's the best 45can on the market now....user serviceable and all SS baffles.

Then you can get aftermarket threaded barrels for the G22 and use the Octane 45 on that too. Boom you got 3 calibers covered with 1 can!
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

If you have regular human sized hands and enjoy being able to run a gun's controls without shifting your grip a lot.... M&P45, smallest/thinnest fullsize 45 I've found.
Theohazard
Silent Operator

Post by Theohazard »

chrismartin wrote:SWR Octane 45 is the best choice of 45 silencers right now unless you need a specific feature (Like the Osprey 45's eccentric design not needing tall sights).

I have to agree on the Octane. The Osprey looks cool on some guns, but it's not serviceable, and the Ti-Rant has aluminum baffles as opposed to the Octane's stainless steel ones.

In addition, the Octane is super-quiet with .22. The Osprey isn't serviceable and with the Ti-Rant's baffle design the lead would weld the baffles to the tube; I wouldn't ever recommend shooting .22 out of those two but with the Octane it's just fine.
0331: "Accuracy by volume."
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

QuIet Noob wrote:Glock 21 with a Lone Wolf barrel suppresses nicely.

My favorite is a 1911 Remington R1 Enhanced with factory threaded barrel. It is accurate and economical.

Both wear a 45 Osprey.
Are you me?
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Glock 21.

1911 with threaded barrel.

FN FNX Tactical.

Osprey .45

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

I like my FN FNX 45 (had to wait a while for the dealer to get this one in stock though) and I've got a Octane 45 on order and pending for a Liberty Miranda. Oh, I also have the threaded barrel for my Glock .45 cal cause I've heard nothing but good things about suppressed Glocks. I've yet to shoot either suppressed however so my opinion is based on my like of the firearm itself.
I've gotta stop this habit.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Wahnsinn wrote:My 1911 (Kimber Custom II) with a Silencerco 45 Osprey is pretty ridiculous. Uses a Storm Lake threaded barrel.
I installed a Storm Lake for my Osprey and I love it. I would consider the Octane 45 a close second.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Any GI issue M1911A1 .45, threaded Bar-Sto barrel, and any of the above mentioned
cans should not be forgotten.
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

I have numerous .45's and some of those have threaded barrels. In my experience, the Remington R1 Threaded barrel 1911 is the best for the money. Mine shoots as good as my Baer, Dan Wessons, and Colts. Better than most of them actually.

I have an AAC Ti-Rant .45 and a SWR Octane 45 HD. Both are great suppressors. The Octane is a little easier to clean but is a little heavier than the Ti-Rant. However, with these pistols a little weight is inconswquencial to me.

So, I can highly recommend the Remington R1 with threaded barrel. Ready to go out of the box, no threaded barrel to buy and fit and it also has raised sites. Super reliable and accurate. Excellent trigger. Either can is fine.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Anyone do a SIG P220?

Am waiting for the Octane 45 to clear and have made arrangements to use a 1911 and a P220.
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trevor2011 »

I have only fired 2 45 suppressors an octane 45 and the osprey 45 and in my opinion the octane is the better can. I fired them on my fnx 45 tactical and while both cans sounded great to my ear the osprey had a pretty good frp. Combine the sound reduction with other quality features like all stainless baffles and being user serviceable and in my opinion you come up with the best can on the market the octane 45. As far as hosts go any quality 45 will do you good. If you like Kimber by a Kimber if you like Hk by one.
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

eastern_hunter wrote:Anyone do a SIG P220?

Am waiting for the Octane 45 to clear and have made arrangements to use a 1911 and a P220.
I have a P220 Dark Elite with factory threaded barrel. While I have not used it much it seems like a good host. The only can I have used on it so far is my Ti-Rant. Will have to try my Octane 45 soon.
Ray Barnes
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ray Barnes »

If you have large hands the HK MK23 with Knight's OHG silencer.
LeftEyeMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by LeftEyeMike »

I love my FNH fnp.45 tactical. I have big hands and it fills them nicely. It has been replaced by the FNX
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Not a HK or FN fan . . .

Give me giant hunk of ABS and a chisel and I am pretty sure I could make the same handling gun. :mrgreen:

If you aren't going the 1911 possibly the m&p then.