400 days later...

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

GatoMontes
Silent Operator

400 days later...

Post by GatoMontes »

... I finally have the can in hand!

Train wreck would be a nice way of describing this transfer process, my first one no less and a rant is immanent! Now before I get started let me say that on the topic of the shop I used, The Shooters Shop in West Allis WI, everything I say is obviously just my opinion and should be taken as such.

The Shooters Shop is a junk store. They charge ungodly prices, the staff are a bunch of bravos and the range is broken. I avoid the place outright if I can. That being said, given the deplorable number of SOTs in my area and what they charge to transfer, going with these guys was no more worse than any other (or so I thought!), so I figured I'd give em a shot. What's that they say about insanity, what, doing the same s--t but expecting different results or some such? Well, drum me up a scarlet letter R for full bore retard for EVER thinking that this would work out without a hitch!

I paid for the can on May 7th of 2012 and I did so with the understanding that it would arrive in the ballpark of three weeks. They already had some on order and with the reading I did on F3 times that seemed to add up. It took over six months for the damn thing to arrive. This place is a direct distributor of Silencerco products, and since Silencerco does NOT maintain a warehouse of backstock on their items favoring instead to build a large supply at distributors, the wait was simply because they hadn't made the can yet. While the wait was not the Shooters Shop's fault, their inability to communicate the issue put me in a state of anger and terror never before seen in a full grown man (debatable, not the terror but the full grown part). Instead, YOU ALL set me straight as to what the problem was. That's simply despicable; the customer has to go outside of the business to get the full scoop on what's going on with the item they paid for. I wouldn't have been happy if they told me what was going on, but I wouldn't be upset or confused either, it is what it is.

The one tiny sliver of positivity gleaming from using this place was the fact they had a range for me to use my toy whilst in ATF jail. A buddy and I refused to go back after one particular incident where we were catching bullet fragmentation like a hail storm, but I figured that it might happen from time to time and not something specific to their range. First time back I shot with the 22/45 without issue and it was pretty neat as I was the only one in the range, no ear pro. I switched to the Ruger Takedown, shot a few in the chest of the silhouette then transitioned to the head. BAM! A huge chunk of my bullet went through the forehead of my target then proceeded to come back and hit ME in the forehead! Throw the gun down, I'm done for good.

Then, as if to rub salt into my large gaping wound half way through my transfer the owner is featured in the paper in a lovely article on how he "throws NRA guys out of his shop, he don't need um!" What's the problem, you afraid people in the know are going to call you on your s--t prices? (where's the barf smiley?)
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/ ... 93181.html

Telling me they didn't have the FBI fingerprint cards, ordering them myself, then finding out they had them all along. Instructing me to get only ONE fingerprint card filled out even though you really need TWO. Complaining that I filled out my boxes on the F4 using a computer, then of course them forgetting to sign and date the forms resulting in even more of a delay. Getting clogged in the head with ricochets and all the confusion left me completely worn out by this experience. I know that this post is really REALLY whiny but man was that a struggle. I guess the point I'm trying to drill home to anyone who may read this who's interested in getting a suppressor is to put reliability and professionalism as a TOP priority in whoever you choose as your dealer. You are going to rely on these guys throughout your entire transfer, make sure it's someone you can put faith into. Otherwise you may very well be in for one of the most aggravating rides of your life, up at 2AM posting frantically on Silencer Talk and selling your soul to Bender for information!

Well, as you all said once you pop you can't stop. Octane 45HD here I come!!! :mrgreen:
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Re: 400 days later...

Post by rimshaker »

I feel for ya. Glad the ordeal is over and done with. Like I mentioned in other posts, the worst case scenario always involves a local dealer ordering DIRECTLY from the manufacturer. It hardly ever ends well, time-wise. Good choice on your 2nd can! Head over to Silencershop, they got in stock.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Yeah, silver lining...at least you got the can :D Definitely check out Silencer Shop as well, great to deal with.
DarkPhoenix
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DarkPhoenix »

Glad it finally worked out. I have learned that, "A can in stock ready to buy, is worth two on order." Still waiting on my aac 300tm, just over a year with no end in sight. I feel for you!
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

I still am ignorant as to why one cannot buy a suppressor directly from the
manufacturer, get approval, and then have them transfer it to a licensed
dealer the same way one can sell his weapons across the country through
dealers ... with a fee.

What am I missing?
qballis
Silent Operator

Post by qballis »

Historian wrote:I still am ignorant as to why one cannot buy a suppressor directly from the
dealers ... with a fee.

What am I missing?
It's the government. NOTHING is efficient.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

DarkPhoenix wrote:Glad it finally worked out. I have learned that, "A can in stock ready to buy, is worth two on order." Still waiting on my aac 300tm, just over a year with no end in sight. I feel for you!

Same here....still waiting to FILL OUT a Form 4 on a Thompson Machine Thirty that my dealer ordered in June of 2012 (or somewhere VERY close to June 2012). Just took Thompson Machine forever and a day to get the guy made and once finally finished the wonderful state of Louisiana decided to start taking 3 times longer to complete their one page permission slip for me to apply with the ATF for a silencer.....dumb double approval process.

It's actually taking them soooo long to approve these now that it adds up to 3 months to the already long ATF waiting period. I did hear from my dealer that Louisiana is supposed to be getting rid of this redundant process.....I just hope they hurry up and approve getting rid of this dumb law they currently have.......UGH.
I've gotta stop this habit.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Historian wrote:I still am ignorant as to why one cannot buy a suppressor directly from the
dealers ... with a fee.

What am I missing?
I'm guessing the silencer manufacturers have a priority list. And those with big volume orders come first. Unfortunately the single order from a small dealer is at the bottom, even forgotten sometimes. Not blaming them for the practice. That's just how business works... in any industry.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

rimshaker wrote:
dealers ... with a fee.

What am I missing?
I'm guessing the silencer manufacturers have a priority list. And those with big volume orders come first. Unfortunately the single order from a small dealer is at the bottom, even forgotten sometimes. Not blaming them for the practice. That's just how business works... in any industry.

Only how the big ones work......small business owners are fair.....at least this one is
I've gotta stop this habit.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

I would guess the same reason a lot of manufacturers don't sell direct to consumers (you don't buy a car directly from the manufacturer, you go through a dealer).

1. They would put dealers out of business, being able to sell at the absolute lowest cost or at least matching what the dealers are selling for.
2. They don't want to deal with single customers, they want to sell a bunch to the same person/company, let them deal with all the BS from us :lol:
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Wahnsinn wrote:I would guess the same reason a lot of manufacturers don't sell direct to consumers (you don't buy a car directly from the manufacturer, you go through a dealer).

1. They would put dealers out of business, being able to sell at the absolute lowest cost or at least matching what the dealers are selling for.
2. They don't want to deal with single customers, they want to sell a bunch to the same person/company, let them deal with all the BS from us :lol:
:) :) :)

Thanks for clarity, guys.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

I bought my Infiniti straight from Liberty.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

To all of you still waiting in a similar predicament I will pray nightly to the NFA Gods for support.

I knew from the get go that these guys bought directly from SilencerCo and thought "well that's good, must get first priority!" Oh sweet sweet GatMo, you ignorant fool!!! Even though this was pretty awful I sure did learn a lot about the NFA process through it, and the extra time allowed for procurement of an ultrasonic and extra hosts I wouldn't have had if it were to have gone to plan, so.

I got it out to my preferred range today. Shot some CCI SVs through it and turned to grab some Remmy Subs and low and behold were a bunch of folks trying to see what I was shooting. Who woulda thought that bringing a silencer with you to the range makes you the coolest guy there? :mrgreen:
PorkChopsMmm

Post by PorkChopsMmm »

Congrats Gato. When I purchased my suppressor I bought from a store that had the SS Sparrow in hand. That allowed me to get up on the process earlier but the store is actually on the other side of the state about 5 hours away. I took a vacation with the wife and kids when it was time to pick it up -- made the trip easier.

Enjoy!
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Bet he never ordered it when he said he did. Local dealers here do it all time. I get calls once a week saying I ordered xyz from dealer x across town six months ago and still has not shown up. My response is usually that's strange I get a shipment of those just about monthly. We have never had an issue finding swr/ silencer co product. Find new local stocking dealer or call Silencershop next time.
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gary_SilencerCo »

Just FYI, we dont sell directly to end use customers or to dealers. We work through three wholesale distributors who service the dealers. Inventory on sparrows at wholesalers is generally pretty good.
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

Since I have you Gary could you clarify something for me? This shop claimed they ordered five Sparrows directly from you guys at the 2012 SHOT Show, one of which I then paid for. Would that be a typical wait, January to October, if someone ordered directly from you?

I'm interested now given what you just said; you work through 3 main distributors. I contacted Kenny on here at about eight weeks into the wait and he told me that the wholesalers listed hundreds in stock. So if you deal only through these wholesalers, and these wholesalers had hundreds in stock, does that mean Vette's right and I got bamboozled on this?

When I inquired as to what was going on I got the typical answer of "oh it should be soon, just a couple more weeks." Never did they offer to call you guys to see what was up, now I'm starting to think the worse about these guys again. :twisted:
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Find a ffl/ sot you can trust. If any doubt move on.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

Yeah, got that one covered. My regular FFL transfer dealer recommended this guy, he's about an hour away but after talking to him I don't foresee any problems. We had a nice long laugh relating horror stories from the Shooters Shop. :lol:
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

At least they did not test it out for you. I hope.
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

GatoMontes wrote:Since I have you Gary could you clarify something for me? This shop claimed they ordered five Sparrows directly from you guys at the 2012 SHOT Show, one of which I then paid for. Would that be a typical wait, January to October, if someone ordered directly from you?

I'm interested now given what you just said; you work through 3 main distributors. I contacted Kenny on here at about eight weeks into the wait and he told me that the wholesalers listed hundreds in stock. So if you deal only through these wholesalers, and these wholesalers had hundreds in stock, does that mean Vette's right and I got bamboozled on this?

When I inquired as to what was going on I got the typical answer of "oh it should be soon, just a couple more weeks." Never did they offer to call you guys to see what was up, now I'm starting to think the worse about these guys again. :twisted:
He may have placed the order at shot show with our wholesaler, who was in our booth. Other than that all I can tell you that all sparrow orders from shot were filled by February. keep in mind you have ATF in there too even for dealers, which right now is running 6-8 weeks. I cannot speak to what happened in your case. even though in general all our products are available at ATF form length through the wholesalers. the only exception to that right now is Saker mounts and Specwar 7.62.
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

if you want, PM me your S/N and I can tell you when it left here, thats about as far as I can track it in house.
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

Who knows, they probably did. That was my one concern using it while in transfer, I'd have no idea if they used it or not. In the end I had to try it out, and got smacked in the forehead for doing so.

The only thing more pathetic than this shop are the good ol boys who worship it like a holy temple. The prices are BAD, saw a Ruger 22/45 Lite in the case while I was picking up the can for $600 bones, over $200 more than the regular street price! I wish I was so loaded that I could pay such an exorbitant price and not care. I will never forget the time I ran into one of these zealots at a local Walmart. I was buying a friend an H&R single shot shotgun, just something to mess around in the woods with, for his birthday. This guy who looks like a skinhead comes up to me and asks me why I was buying THAT! I tell him it's a gift and would make for a nice light trail/camp gun. He starts hollering about how I need to go to the Shooters Shop and get him a Mossberg 590 instead, makes for a much better man killer. :shock: I ran into this guy some time later when I was a manager at a drugstore, he was driving the armored car delivering our cash, go figure. :roll:

Gary, PM on the way! Thanks man!!! :mrgreen:
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

gato,
shipped may of 2012 on a regular scheduled monthly shipment to our wholesaler
hope that helps
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]