Class 3 FFL needed for Sending the can to the manufacturer?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

juwan626

Class 3 FFL needed for Sending the can to the manufacturer?

Post by juwan626 »

I haven't heard back from the manufacturer on this question. I am sending in my can for service to the manufacturer. Does anyone know if I need to have a class 3 FFL dealer to make this transfer? How about when they send it back to me?
tctlrld
Silent But Deadly

Post by tctlrld »

You do not need an SOT to send your own suppressor to the mfg for repairs.

There's a specific ATF Form for this, but typically people just include a photocopy of their approved Form 4.
Last edited by tctlrld on Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
juwan626

Post by juwan626 »

thanks, that what I would figure but I wanted to make sure. Didn't want the ATF to come after me. : )
Silent But Deadly

Post by #93 »

Just to back up what tctirid said I have sent cans back to two separate manufactures myself. No problems either time, just included a copy of the F4.
This message has been approved by #93
juwan626

Post by juwan626 »

Forgot to ask this, but the silencer mfg is also asking that I send the host firearm that I have on it. I would think that if I didn't need a Class 3 to send the silencer then I probably won't need an FFL to send the firearm right?
PPGMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by PPGMD »

juwan626 wrote:Forgot to ask this, but the silencer mfg is also asking that I send the host firearm that I have on it. I would think that if I didn't need a Class 3 to send the silencer then I probably won't need an FFL to send the firearm right?
I do believe you need a FFL to receive it when it comes back, particularly if it's a handgun.
"Some day you will wake up next to a woman and she won't scream" - A Buddy From College

Hk USP Tactical 45 + Gemtech Blackside
FA Gunner
Silent Operator

Post by FA Gunner »

You do not need a FFL to receive the firearm back for you. Since you already own the firearm and you are receiving the same firearm back you can mail it to the company and they can mail it straight back to you. I have sent firearms rifles, pistols and receiver back to manufactures and to gunsmiths and as long as it is the same serial number they send it straight back to me.
CZ-75
Silent But Deadly

correct

Post by CZ-75 »

Correct as far as federal laws go. State laws may be more restrictive.

Also, Federal law prohibits a person from using the USPS to ship handguns. Long Guns are OK to mail, but handguns must go via common carrier like FedEx. FedEx has their own policy that says that handguns must go overnight priority.
tctlrld
Silent But Deadly

Post by tctlrld »

PPGMD wrote:
juwan626 wrote:Forgot to ask this, but the silencer mfg is also asking that I send the host firearm that I have on it. I would think that if I didn't need a Class 3 to send the silencer then I probably won't need an FFL to send the firearm right?
I do believe you need a FFL to receive it when it comes back, particularly if it's a handgun.
Absolutely not.

You can receive your OWN firearm without involving an FFL when it comes back from repair.

As CZ stated, you may not ship handguns using USPS. It has to go UPS or FedEx, and their policies (not law) states that they have to go Overnight.
Last edited by tctlrld on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corey
Senior Silent Operator

Post by corey »

Long guns can go USPS but it can be a hassle at some post offices. ATF used to require a tax exempt transfer to be approved to each way to send an NFA item for repair but no longer requires it. Just send it with a copy of the form and the dealer or manufacturer can send it back directly to your home. Since there is no change of ownership, there is no actual transfer and no paperwork required.