New 10/22 host...

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

photoman12001

New 10/22 host...

Post by photoman12001 »

My PWS carbon fiber barrel arrived today. I installed it this evening and I really like it. I think it looks good and the rifle balances very well with a suppressor mounted. The barrel seems to be of top notch quality. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

The rifle started life as a stock Ruger 10/22 Target, which is also a good-looking rifle:

Now gussied up at this:

Last edited by photoman12001 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: New 10/22 host...

Post by doubloon »

purty

looks like you need more tri-mags ... I added a tri-mag to a couple of my single 10 round magazines, no gain in capacity but they're easier to pull out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
DULLYJAY

Post by DULLYJAY »

Looking good!
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

I do like a nice simple / clean 10/22!
audiojason
Elite Member

Post by audiojason »

Any interest in selling the stock barrel?
Silencerco Sparrow, Silencerco SS Sparrow, AAC M4-1000, AAC Prodigy, AAC Ti-RANT 45, AAC 762-SD, Gemtech MultiMount, Quicksilver GSG-SD, AAC ECO9
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Purty was the first word that came to mind.......but Doubloon beat me to it! LOL Great minds think alike.
I've gotta stop this habit.
zevdogs
Silent But Deadly

Post by zevdogs »

Hey it looks like somebody else has good taste to ... Lol mines also suppressed

OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

What is the weight difference with a carbon wrapped barrel compared to the stock barrel?

I have a Ruger 22 magnum and was thinking of threading her......but a new carbon wrapped barrel looks nice here and would be just as nice if they have them in the magnum version.
I've gotta stop this habit.
zevdogs
Silent But Deadly

Post by zevdogs »

OJB4 wrote:What is the weight difference with a carbon wrapped barrel compared to the stock barrel?

I have a Ruger 22 magnum and was thinking of threading her......but a new carbon wrapped barrel looks nice here and would be just as nice if they have them in the magnum version.
Mine is the stock hammered barrel and it's very heavy
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

audiojason wrote:Any interest in selling the stock barrel?
I think they are beautiful barrels and have always wanted to shorten & thread one and have a matching thread protector made from the cut off end piece.
photoman12001

Post by photoman12001 »

Sorry, I haven't been on here in a bit. I actually already sold the stock barrel. It was 20" long, 0.920" around, and HEAVY. It would probably be great if you just wanted to shoot from a bench or bipod, otherwise it was just too much. The weight difference and balance in switching to the PWS barrel was substantial. It's a little too light without a suppressor mounted, but does well. This thing is a tack-driver. With a suppressor mounted it balances very well.
photoman12001

Post by photoman12001 »

eric10mm wrote:
I think they are beautiful barrels and have always wanted to shorten & thread one and have a matching thread protector made from the cut off end piece.
It was a very attractive barrel. If you get one contact Jim Pixley at jpgrips.com and he should be able to do the work for you unless you already have someone in mind. His work is great.
piglatinhater
Senior Silent Operator

Post by piglatinhater »

Nice! I have a 10/22 just for this reason. Now I really need is a good .22 can...
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

piglatinhater wrote:Nice! I have a 10/22 just for this reason. Now I really need is a good .22 can...
kodiak, Spectre, sparrow, warlock :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
audiojason
Elite Member

Post by audiojason »

eric10mm wrote:

I had one transplanted into a Ruger 77/22, machined thread protector matches the hammer forged flats in the barrel done by tornado tech. Then machined to fit the 77/22 by Oregon Timberwolf, my go to gunsmith. Sorry for the not so good pics.
Silencerco Sparrow, Silencerco SS Sparrow, AAC M4-1000, AAC Prodigy, AAC Ti-RANT 45, AAC 762-SD, Gemtech MultiMount, Quicksilver GSG-SD, AAC ECO9
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

audiojason wrote: Image

I had one transplanted into a Ruger 77/22, machined thread protector matches the hammer forged flats in the barrel done by tornado tech. Then machined to fit the 77/22 by Oregon Timberwolf, my go to gunsmith. Sorry for the not so good pics.
YESSSSS!!! 8)
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

photoman12001 wrote:My PWS carbon fiber barrel arrived today. I installed it this evening and I really like it. I think it looks good and the rifle balances very well with a suppressor mounted. The barrel seems to be of top notch quality. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

The rifle started life as a stock Ruger 10/22 Target, which is also a good-looking rifle:

[img]http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y43 ... ec9074.jpg[/g]

Now gussied up at this:

[img]http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y43 ... 92f4ff.jpg[/i]

have you shot this setup yet? I am curious to see how accurate it is. I have been hearing not-good stories about shooting the tensioned barrels with a suppressor. People have reported that the shots open up to huge groups, spraying all over. i have the beginnings of a theory on the subject but i would like to hear how this set-up handles it.
photoman12001

Post by photoman12001 »

Vagabond wrote:
photoman12001 wrote:My PWS carbon fiber barrel arrived today. I installed it this evening and I really like it. I think it looks good and the rifle balances very well with a suppressor mounted. The barrel seems to be of top notch quality. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

[img]http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y43 ... ec9074.jpg[/g]

Now gussied up at this:

[img]http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y43 ... 92f4ff.jpg[/i]

have you shot this setup yet? I am curious to see how accurate it is. I have been hearing not-good stories about shooting the tensioned barrels with a suppressor. People have reported that the shots open up to huge groups, spraying all over. i have the beginnings of a theory on the subject but i would like to hear how this set-up handles it.
I have shot it but not excessively. At the indoor range I shot about 100 rounds through it in one session, about 20 non-suppressed and 80 suppressed. I was pleased with the groups, very pleased in fact, but it was only at 75 feet. At the outdoor range I was mostly shooting for a video comparison of my suppressors on different rifles and wasn't really watching the groups closely. I'll do more testing in the future. My full PWS T3 Summit rifle shockingly did not do as well but I think that's because sometimes the action is opening on its own after firing. I just sent it back to PWS today.

Video links here.

It's also worth noting that when I contacted SilencerCo about aftermarket 10/22 barrels they recommended PWS. I don't know if they have any kind of relationship with PWS though.
Last edited by photoman12001 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photoman12001

Post by photoman12001 »

audiojason wrote:
eric10mm wrote:

That is beautiful. I bet it's heavy with a suppressor attached though. My 77/22 .22LR is off being threaded right now. It will look just like the .22WMR version I have. I'm excited to get it because I love the .22WMR and this one will be quieter and cheaper to shoot.