Overall market for suppressors

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Epic_Ed

Overall market for suppressors

Post by Epic_Ed »

Is anyone aware of where I could find industry data about the total number of suppressors sold each year and the overall retail sale for the suppressor market? I'm trying to do a general market analysis for a client and could benefit from as much empirical data as possible.

Thanks.
zevdogs
Silent But Deadly

Re: Overall market for suppressors

Post by zevdogs »

Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Impressive use of FOIA. Well done.

This information could serve as a seed
for a strategy to educate key Libertarian/Conservative political leaders
as how prevalent and really benign suppressors are.

They could champion the rational placement of suppressors into the same
category as firearms rather than bogging down an already stressed
bureaucracy with needless paperwork processing.

Suppressors are here, they are legal, they are used, they are logged in - just like legitimate firearms.

Obtaining legal use is needlessly red-taped. Put them into the same category as purchasing a pistol or rifle.
They do have a serial number after all.

OSHA should be championing advancing the reduction of hearing destructive noise pollution.

<< https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadis ... &p_id=9735 >>

Just a thought.
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

You have to love how they dodged Question 4. As though they couldn't do the simple math of revenue-in versus expenses equaling profit, or surplus in gubmint-speak. :wink:
gunham
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunham »

In other words, any excess that they take in goes to cover waste in another area.
Impeach Obama for violating the Constitution.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

By definition the government only creates expense and debt even though they'd like you to think they create jobs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Epic_Ed

Post by Epic_Ed »

That's some good info from the FOI request. Thanks. It does lump all form 4 items into the data. I'm looking for numbers specific to the sales of suppressors, but it's a starting point.
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

Epic_Ed wrote:That's some good info from the FOI request. Thanks. It does lump all form 4 items into the data. I'm looking for numbers specific to the sales of suppressors, but it's a starting point.

There all privately held companies so you would have to take that 30k number and divide it by the number of manufacturers and then by caliber to get a ball park and that is really the best your gonna get.
07/02 behind enemy lines
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Grounded wrote:
Epic_Ed wrote:That's some good info from the FOI request. Thanks. It does lump all form 4 items into the data. I'm looking for numbers specific to the sales of suppressors, but it's a starting point.

There all privately held companies so you would have to take that 30k number and divide it by the number of manufacturers and then by caliber to get a ball park and that is really the best your gonna get.
Even then your number is going to be significantly off.

FOIA won't give you actual calibers list of cans out there, nor will they by company. It still is tax information afterall, in one manner or another. Thats why they gave the number of transfers not actual items.
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Post by yellowfin »

I wonder then how many Form 1 cans are done a year.
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

if you wanted to get a "profit" number that was somewhat close (minus office supplies, computer software/hardware and facilities upkeep) then he should have asked what the cumulative salary was for the examiners and office support staff. I think since they are all government employees, you could have asked for job title and salary of each position within the NFA Branch.