Liquids for blast chambers

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Liquids for blast chambers

Post by Hush »

I've read thru the years of people placing different liquid mediums in blast chambers(first chamber near muzzle) for sound reduction purposes weather the supressor is designed for it or not.
In Mr.Paulson's very good books he stated urine worked extremely well but who wants to smell like your dog used you for a fire hydrant?
And now a company has come out with a product claiming to be made for this purpose exclusively.
I'd like to add some comments and obsevations.
Any liquid can help lower the sound by its cooling of the hot gases, water evaporates too quickly, an oil base coolent lasts longer much is transmission fluid and helps keep the carbon soft.
Many greases will do the same, just be sure its not directly in the bullet's path as you might wind up with a clipped baffle and grease will last longest.
Shaving cream will also work, here it doesn't matter if it gets into the bullet's path so much.
So experiment, try different things, you never know what might work with your design.
Echo7

Post by Echo7 »

KY Jelly works fine for me.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I like dry cans. If I wet them I like water.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I'd think KY would last longer than water and nether will smell. :)
MoneyFor

Post by MoneyFor »

Sorry to ask, but what is KY jelly ?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

http://k-y.com/promotions/index.jsp

Discover a breakthrough in intimacy

K-Y® Brand Warming Liquid Personal Lubricant

• Creates a gentle warming sensation on contact
• Helps Enhance Intimacy

K-Y? Brand Warming Liquid is a unique personal lubricant that creates a gentle warming sensation on contact. Discover a whole new world of intimacy. K-Y? Brand Warming Liquid is water soluble and compatible with latex condoms.
MoneyFor

Post by MoneyFor »

Echo7

Post by Echo7 »

*he he he*
Classic!
germansilencer
Silent Operator

Post by germansilencer »

WE collected good experiences with a mixture from drilling oil, water and lithium grease. The drilling oil contains some emulsifiers, that help the water to mix into the oil/grease. It lasts about as long as oil or grease, but with the intensive attentuation effect of water.

As very good proofed water based lubricants from ...ehmmmm .. for .... aaa..... very private use, if you understand.
They can be placed easily, and when the begin to dry out, they form a skin on the surface which reduces drying rate, so you can load your can in advance.

If you choose perfumed versions, silenced shooting becomes an even more pleasant experience - silent and fragrantly ....
firearm silencers are a contribute to environmental protection
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

brings new meaning to "wet" silencer.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

You might want to try Dow-Corning III valve grease and sealant, it lasts, just be sure the bore of the silencer is clear, you might run a pencil or chopstick to be sure, depending on caliber.
It will keep any carbon soft and won't harm anything.
US1928A1
Silent Operator

Post by US1928A1 »

I use ultrasound jelly. It sticks to the can. Unlike water that evaporates and/or drains out, it stays put. Its basically gelled water anyway and gives you a good kill on the first round pop.
germansilencer
Silent Operator

Post by germansilencer »

US1928A1 wrote:I use ultrasound jelly. It sticks to the can. Unlike water that evaporates and/or drains out, it stays put. Its basically gelled water anyway and gives you a good kill on the first round pop.
Yes it does. And this is the "politically correct" form of erotice glide creams ...
firearm silencers are a contribute to environmental protection
IceHandLuke
Silent But Deadly

Post by IceHandLuke »

I have seen some negative effect on my p22 from filling my tac-65 with water. The pins are becoming loose in the upper. I think it has a hard time with the amount of blowback created by reducing the available room in the can for the gas. Has anyone else had any damage from blowback to any of their rim fired arms?
Bring lawyers guns and money

http://www.awrm.org
http://www.freestateproject.org

If you know your history, then you know you are already a member.

Racer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Racer »

IceHandLuke wrote:I have seen some negative effect on my p22 from filling my tac-65 with water.
I hope you are not serious. Don't fill the can -- dip it in water if you must and shake it out or put a bit of coolant in the initial expansion chamber. It must create a real mess with that much water in the can.
IceHandLuke
Silent But Deadly

Post by IceHandLuke »

Well, maybe fill was not the right word. I just pour a little water down the chamber. But my 22 has been having issues with the detent pins for the last few outings. Not sure if its bad gun or blowback.
Bring lawyers guns and money

http://www.awrm.org
http://www.freestateproject.org

If you know your history, then you know you are already a member.

mrrogers1
Silent But Deadly

Post by mrrogers1 »

I just use a few drops of CLP in my Pilot. No problems so far and Mike of AAC didn't say anything about it not being "correct". I noticed that in my instructions that they say a "light oil" works well. CLP is dirt cheap and everyone usually has some in their range bags :D