Another Cleaning Thread - Copper Media

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Hod Lipson

Another Cleaning Thread - Copper Media

Post by Hod Lipson »

I have some SS media ordered, but given the chance that the SS media might damage the anodized aluminum baffles (have seen no definitive proof that it does), I want to give an alternative a try first. I have seen the posts from multiple members that ‘it works’ and ‘you shouldn't do that’

I looked and looked and looked and looked for brass wire cut shot but could not find it anywhere, other than at H&H in OK, but they will not ship. I reached Kevin at pelletsllc and after some discussion about what I was trying to do, we decided to give copper cut wire shot a try. The size he is sending me is the 0.080” / 2mm. We also discussed that there may be some color transference - we'll see

No dirty silencers yet; will hopefully change that on Sat. I will take pictures of the cleaning process.

http://www.pelletsllc.com/CutWireShot/CutWireShotSizes
AAC TiRant 45 || AAC Pilot2 || Various Hosts
HK45
Silent Operator

Re: Another Cleaning Thread - Copper Media

Post by HK45 »

I'm very interested in the outcome of your experiment.
I'd love to be able to tumble clean my anodized aluminum baffles.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Hod Lipson wrote:I have some SS media ordered, but given the chance that the SS media might damage the anodized aluminum baffles (have seen no definitive proof that it does), I want to give an alternative a try first. I have seen the posts from multiple members that ‘it works’ and ‘you shouldn't do that’

I looked and looked and looked and looked for brass wire cut shot but could not find it anywhere, other than at H&H in OK, but they will not ship. I reached Kevin at pelletsllc and after some discussion about what I was trying to do, we decided to give copper cut wire shot a try. The size he is sending me is the 0.080” / 2mm. We also discussed that there may be some color transference - we'll see

No dirty silencers yet; will hopefully change that on Sat. I will take pictures of the cleaning process.

http://www.pelletsllc.com/CutWireShot/CutWireShotSizes
We did a test awhile back wit SS pins and it DID damage the anodizing on baffles.
Hod Lipson

Post by Hod Lipson »

Bendersquint wrote:We did a test awhile back wit SS pins and it DID damage the anodizing on baffles.
I could never find the threads - any pics?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Hod Lipson wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:We did a test awhile back wit SS pins and it DID damage the anodizing on baffles.
Not sure if I uploaded any pics but it damaged the anodizing pretty bad.

If I can't find any pictures I will run another baffle through the SS tumbler and take a picture of it.
Hod Lipson

Post by Hod Lipson »

Bendersquint wrote:
Hod Lipson wrote:
Not sure if I uploaded any pics but it damaged the anodizing pretty bad. If I can't find any pictures I will run another baffle through the SS tumbler and take a picture of it.
No worries - don't do it just for me. I am sure there variables to control for (speed, volume of media, volume of water, volume of items being cleaned, etc. etc.) but I'm not interested in controlling for all of them. :)

If the copper doesn't clean sufficiently with the roughly 6 hour tumbling session, maybe I add a few handfuls of SS to help? IDK - we'll see.
saigatechusa
Silent Operator

Post by saigatechusa »

I would look at some of the solvents that are safe for aluminum and disolve copper

boretech copper eliminator work well for me
Hod Lipson

Post by Hod Lipson »

saigatechusa wrote:I would look at some of the solvents that are safe for aluminum and disolve copper boretech copper eliminator work well for me
I'm not looking to dissolve my media! :lol:
Hod Lipson

Post by Hod Lipson »

So here is the copper media I received from pelletsllc.com today. Pellets! For some reason I had imagined it'd be the cut wire, but this will do to start out.

The stainless media I purchased, for comparison.

SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

I'll take the SS if you dont want it.
IB Slingin
Silent Operator

Post by IB Slingin »

Can I use the stainless steel media(pins) to clean my AAC Element baffles? The baffles are stainless as well.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

IB Slingin wrote:Can I use the stainless steel media(pins) to clean my AAC Element baffles? The baffles are stainless as well.
Yup.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Hod Lipson wrote:So here is the copper media I received from pelletsllc.com today. Pellets! For some reason I had imagined it'd be the cut wire, but this will do to start out. .,,
You might be able to roll some of them into pins but it would be tedious to do by hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Hod Lipson

Post by Hod Lipson »

SRM wrote:I'll take the SS if you dont want it.
I'll hold on to it for now, thanks. You can get it via Amazon or most any online distributor.
doubloon wrote:
Hod Lipson wrote:So here is the copper media I received from pelletsllc.com today. Pellets! For some reason I had imagined it'd be the cut wire, but this will do to start out. .,,
You might be able to roll some of them into pins but it would be tedious to do by hand.
With a teeny rolling pin? :lol: I'll see how this media does unmodified before I decide what to do next.
Hod Lipson

Post by Hod Lipson »

Summary:

Overall I am happy with the results that copper provides, but I think I will have to clean the cans pretty much after every range trip to keep things relatively clean. The media separation, cleaning, management is a bit of a task, but not as much as hand scrubbing each baffle I suppose!

I did use the SS media on the spring and piston adapter on the TR45. I may try the SS media on the baffles next time just to have a comparison point; undecided.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Only ~100 rounds on the TR45 and about 50 rounds on the P2. Here are the results:

TR45
~1 hour of tumbling with water, soap, and copper media
~1 hour tumbling with water and copper media

dirty

clean

P2
~1 hour of tumbling with water, soap, and copper media
~1 hour of tumbling with fresh water, soap, and copper media
~1 hour tumbling with water and copper media

The steel baffle did require me to scrape a little lead off the face - you can see that in the pictures.

dirty

clean

doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Hod Lipson wrote:... With a teeny rolling pin? :lol: I'll see how this media does unmodified before I decide what to do next.
So I guess everybody doesn't have one of these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Hod Lipson

Post by Hod Lipson »

Ha - very cool
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

doubloon wrote:
Hod Lipson wrote:... With a teeny rolling pin? :lol: I'll see how this media does unmodified before I decide what to do next.
So I guess everybody doesn't have one of these?

NEGATIVE!
I've gotta stop this habit.
BigWonton

Post by BigWonton »

Thanks for doing the legwork on this.

Do you know if he has the capability to make copper pins? If he did a large batch I know I'd be in for a few pounds.
Hod Lipson

Post by Hod Lipson »

BigWonton wrote:Thanks for doing the legwork on this. Do you know if he has the capability to make copper pins? If he did a large batch I know I'd be in for a few pounds.
You are welcome. I emailed him yesterday with that very question. Will report back