Suppressor for a 300 blackout

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Ultrastealth

Suppressor for a 300 blackout

Post by Ultrastealth »

I have a 10" SBR in 300 Blackout, and my 7.62 SD is just too damned heavy to do that gun justice. I want to go to a light pistol suppressor. I'm thinking along the lines of an Osprey, Octane, or Tirant, but other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
QuIet Noob
Silent Operator

Re: Suppressor for a 300 blackout

Post by QuIet Noob »

My 45Osprey works pretty well with 300 blk subs. DO NOT RUN FULL POWER LOADS!
Ultrastealth

Post by Ultrastealth »

I'm just running subs.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Octane 9 HD2 works pretty well ... is not as quiet as the SAS Ti Arbiter but is shorter.
rckshrk

Post by rckshrk »

Thanks OP for putting this out there. Anyone have any experience with the 762 SD and/or 762 SDN6 vs Octane 9 and/or Octance 45 on a SBR 300 Blackout? Thanks.
Ultrastealth

Post by Ultrastealth »

rckshrk wrote:Thanks OP for putting this out there. Anyone have any experience with the 762 SD and/or 762 SDN6 vs Octane 9 and/or Octance 45 on a SBR 300 Blackout? Thanks.

Well, in about a year, I'll let you know how the Octane 45 does, as I just ordered it from Silencer Shop. :D
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

I'm using a Tirant 45 on a Handi Rifle and sounds sweet. But it has a full length 16" barrel.

AAC discreetly gives the ok to shoot sub 300 BLK through pistol cans.... but i'm not sure about their stance on also having a shorter barrel.
Theohazard
Silent Operator

Post by Theohazard »

Any pistol can rated for 300 Blackout subs should work fine on an SBR. And in my experience, 9mm cans are the quietest you can get on a subsonic 300 Blackout, even quieter than a .308 can that's optimized for 300 Blackout subs like the SDN-6.

My buddy sometimes runs his Octane 9 on his 9" AAC pistol with subs and it's ridiculously quiet. But he usually runs his SDN-6 on it; it's a tad louder but that way he can shoot supers too.
0331: "Accuracy by volume."
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rimshaker wrote: AAC discreetly gives the ok to shoot sub 300 BLK through pistol cans.... but i'm not sure about their stance on also having a shorter barrel.
Discreetly? They are open about it and recommend it daily!
Theohazard
Silent Operator

Post by Theohazard »

Bendersquint wrote:
rimshaker wrote: AAC discreetly gives the ok to shoot sub 300 BLK through pistol cans.... but i'm not sure about their stance on also having a shorter barrel.
Except as far as I know they don't offer any pistons or fixed-barrel mounts for the Ti-Rant that are threaded in 5/8x24, so they might recommend it but they sure don't make it easy.
0331: "Accuracy by volume."
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Theohazard wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Except as far as I know they don't offer any pistons or fixed-barrel mounts for the Ti-Rant that are threaded in 5/8x24, so they might recommend it but they sure don't make it easy.
No they don't make it easy but the point was that they don't discreetly say its ok, they are very open about it.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

My bad, I should've chosen a better word than "discreetly." How about "cautiously."

If pressed hard enough they will more or less openly say it's fine... but then there's some official legal responses such as:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtop ... 54&t=84372
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Post by WasDustyJacket »

I have not tried my 9mm can with my 300BLK, but my Gemtech Sandstorm (titanium) does a swell job and barely gets warm.
With .308 it got burning hot.

The sandstorm sounds as quiet, or quieter, as a subsonic .22LR out of a bolt rifle.
I like the option of being able to switch to supersonic loads instantly.

I have an adapter to try the 9mm can which I shall do some day I guess.
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

Ultrastealth wrote:I have a 10" SBR in 300 Blackout, and my 7.62 SD is just too damned heavy to do that gun justice. I want to go to a light pistol suppressor. I'm thinking along the lines of an Osprey, Octane, or Tirant, but other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Check out the Liberty Mystic. 16 oz with booster device, 14 and change with thread mount. 9mm, but rated for SUPERSONIC 300BLK.

If just running subs, my Trident works almost as well as my 300 thread on suppressor. I say almost, though I haven't been able to tell the difference when a friend is shooting and swapping cans back and forth on my 9.5" 300BLK and I don't know which one is being used.
bts0irv

Post by bts0irv »

I use a Yankee Hill 762 QD. Heavy but very effective. Shoot 230 grain lead through it with no problems. Tough suppressor.
Brittsc
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Brittsc »

I have actually had some AAC employee tell me in a message no. Then someone on this forum tell me it was fine. So, I don't believe everyone at AAC is on the same page.

Britt
John4045
Silent Operator

Post by John4045 »

I say Tirant. They have told me it's ok to shoot subs in an email long ago.
zulusierra
Silent Operator

Post by zulusierra »

Obtain a Mystic and be done with it.

Ash

Post by Ash »

Theohazard wrote:Any pistol can rated for 300 Blackout subs should work fine on an SBR. And in my experience, 9mm cans are the quietest you can get on a subsonic 300 Blackout, even quieter than a .308 can that's optimized for 300 Blackout subs like the SDN-6.

My buddy sometimes runs his Octane 9 on his 9" AAC pistol with subs and it's ridiculously quiet. But he usually runs his SDN-6 on it; it's a tad louder but that way he can shoot supers too.
I have an Osprey and am looking forward to getting an 9" AAC 300 blackout. My question is will the Osprey fit a factory 9" AAC upper just by removing the 51T flash hider and threading on my can, or will the 9" barrel not stick out of the 9" hand guard enough to thread on the Osprey? If your friends Octane threads on without the can going under the hand guard, my Osprey should be GTG also.

If I am good to go on this and anyone has a picture of this setup that will be much appreciated!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I have a 8.2" Noveske 300 BLK barrel and the Octane 9 is the perfect small pistol can for it. Easy mounts and easy to clean. However I use the SDN6 so I can use HV defense/ hunting loads at will and quicker attach. Not a "huge" difference on the barrel but you can tell.

Also depends on hiding under the hand gaurd, I personally don't like my hand over the muzzle but you might like the cool tactical look.

If you need a 9mm can anyway, take a hard look at the Octane. You can't clean the sparrow yourself and it has FRP on pistol and the AAC has aluminum baffles. :x I would hate to acidently shoot a HV through the other two but the Octane would live. :mrgreen:

The Liberty mystic is a Good can for both HV/LV but you wanted small.

I get a ton of uses out of the Octane's , great cans!
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Ash

Post by Ash »

I know the Octane is a great can, however I am looking specifically at putting my Osprey on a 300 blackout. The exact 300 upper that I am looking to obtain is the 9" AAC.

I know it is good for subs only and I don't have to have a can under the rail cool tactical look. My osprey wouldn't go under the KAC URX rail without modification anyway.

My question is specifically concerning the AAC 300 blackout 9" upper and my Osprey. If I buy this upper, will there be enough threads sticking out from the rail after removing the 51t flash hider to screw on my Osprey without running it into the rail?

Sorry for any confusion in the above post.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Ash wrote:I know the Octane is a great can, however I am looking specifically at putting my Osprey on a 300 blackout. The exact 300 upper that I am looking to obtain is the 9" AAC.

I know it is good for subs only and I don't have to have a can under the rail cool tactical look. My osprey wouldn't go under the KAC URX rail without modification anyway.

My question is specifically concerning the AAC 300 blackout 9" upper and my Osprey. If I buy this upper, will there be enough threads sticking out from the rail after removing the 51t flash hider to screw on my Osprey without running it into the rail?

Sorry for any confusion in the above post.
I was replying to the OP. Don't know if you have enough room but looks like it might since the base of the AAC FH goes passed the threads . You need a special KAC tool just to take the rail off. Why not get a different 300 upper or even a barrel so you don't have to pay more and remove stuff you don't need? :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Ash

Post by Ash »

The AAC upper has everything I am looking for. The only thing I would take off would be the 51T fh that I could use on another barrel.

I was just hoping that I would get some kind of confirmation before pulling the trigger on that upper.
Was really hoping someone would post a picture on here and say, yep it works! :D
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Ash, have you contacted AAC? Since Osprey dimensions are Public Info, they should be able to easily answer.
Maybe post your ? clearly on AAC SubForum?
Try "Will Osprey fit on AAC 9" 300Blk Upper w 51t removed?"
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

Emilio wrote:I have a 8.2" Noveske 300 BLK barrel and the Octane 9 is the perfect small pistol can for it. Easy mounts and easy to clean. However I use the SDN6 so I can use HV defense/ hunting loads at will and quicker attach. Not a "huge" difference on the barrel but you can tell.

Also depends on hiding under the hand gaurd, I personally don't like my hand over the muzzle but you might like the cool tactical look.

If you need a 9mm can anyway, take a hard look at the Octane. You can't clean the sparrow yourself and it has FRP on pistol and the AAC has aluminum baffles. :x I would hate to acidently shoot a HV through the other two but the Octane would live. :mrgreen:

The Liberty mystic is a Good can for both HV/LV but you wanted small.

I get a ton of uses out of the Octane's , great cans!
I couldn't agree more! I took my new 300BLK pistol build with Noveske 8.2" barrel (Form1 in process) out earlier this week for the first time. I was amazed how well my Octane9 HD performed on it. A Saker762 is in its future. But for now, the Octane9 is doing an amazing job!