Has anyone ever used a NAPPA 4003 NAPA fuel filter silencer?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

OnionGirl

Has anyone ever used a NAPPA 4003 NAPA fuel filter silencer?

Post by OnionGirl »

I just watched a video of Hickhock45 shooting through an oil filter.
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs )

Which I though was just really neat, the only problem is it's so big and ugly. ( I love the idea but I could never be seen in public with such a monstrosity hanging off my beautiful rifle. )

After I watched HH45 I saw ANOTHER video of a guy talking cryptically about a NAPPA 4003 Fuel Filter as a silencer
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z5vAZSufiE ) and I was wondering if anyone had ever used one before?
How does it work? I haven't been able to find any videos online.

Seems like it would be really cool if it worked and it's not even that ugly! :roll:
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." - Fortune Cookie.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Has anyone ever used a NAPPA 4003 NAPA fuel filter silen

Post by doubloon »

There's a thread on it already right here http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=103236
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

I think it would be an indication of poor decision making skills if you continue to pursue this from anything other than a video observation standpoint.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

doubloon wrote:There's a thread on it already right here http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=103236
Far be it form me to ruin it but WTH??
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

continuity wrote:I think it would be an indication of poor decision making skills if you continue to pursue this from anything other than a video observation standpoint.

+2!

Invoking William of Occam's Razor of the simplest ( in this case 'silliest' or 'not worth the legal risk' )
solution consider the following candidate for a non standard suppressor:

No machining.
No adaptor.
No cleaning.
No FRP.
FIts any caliber - just push muzzle in.
Concealable.
Easily disposed of.

<< http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 0zWI_sM%3A >>

And in an emergency pull off a piece, add some ham, salami, dressing, lettuce, olive
oil, salt, pickles ... and have a feast. :)

<< http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... BQ&dur=494 >>

Goofiness aside, weigh risk versus reward and you will decide on the legal, tried and true route.

Best wishes in any case.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Full stop on this thread. Site needs slightly more moderation :)
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

este wrote:Full stop on this thread. Site needs slightly more moderation :)
I have to agree with this. If i was running a range and i saw someone out their with an oil filter on the end of their gun you bet im going to question the legality of it. People who buy the commercial ones have been through the process and paper work to be legal.not some "solvent trap adapter" bs.
crazy-mp
Silent Operator

Post by crazy-mp »

Its refreshing to see people who want to follow legal procedures instead of buying a 25 dollar adapter and a 6 dollar oil or fuel filter and thinking they are getting away with something. I would love to see one of these idiots get busted by the ATF for possession, manufacture and transport of a illegal firearm, here is your 250,000 dollar fine and 10 years in prison for each count.
- - - Show Me Guns - - -
------Lebanon MO------
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunningbadger »

The people I feel bad for are those too ignorant to know that it's illegal. The ones making the adapter should be the ones under more scrutiny.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

rogerme wrote:
doubloon wrote:There's a thread on it already right here http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=103236
Far be it form me to ruin it but WTH??
sorry ... an oblique "use the search luke!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Oh, you're outside of the US and not a US citizen. Assuming all of that is true, and for informational purposes only, this design is a theoretical gimmick. It would have some limited value, but it will not suppress nearly as well an actual dedicated, purpose-built can. The tolerances wouldn't be very good even with a good mount, and the space between "baffles", or "baffle" - singular - wouldn't be effective enough to force gas to be diverted. The end result is a silencer that muffles to a small amount, but hardly worth mentioning.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

One of the guys in our club is a Class 2 and he brought out an AR15 with a 22cal upper and put a small oil can on it. I was shocked at how well it suppressed. I do not recall the model of the oil can but it was about 5 long and maybe 4 inches in diameter and it saw hundreds of rounds that day and it held up well for what it was.
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

id like to see a oil filter hold up to full auto without catching on fire.
OnionGirl

Post by OnionGirl »

ericlw wrote:id like to see a oil filter hold up to full auto without catching on fire.
Ask and you shall receive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiqFcIXTqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As6wtZLdCgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." - Fortune Cookie.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

CThomas wrote:One of the guys in our club is a Class 2 and he brought out an AR15 with a 22cal upper and put a small oil can on it. I was shocked at how well it suppressed. I do not recall the model of the oil can but it was about 5 long and maybe 4 inches in diameter and it saw hundreds of rounds that day and it held up well for what it was.
Dissapointed in this post... regardless of the saving grace of the precursor "Class 2"...

What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

CThomas wrote:One of the guys in our club is a Class 2 and he brought out an AR15 with a 22cal upper and put a small oil can on it. I was shocked at how well it suppressed. I do not recall the model of the oil can but it was about 5 long and maybe 4 inches in diameter and it saw hundreds of rounds that day and it held up well for what it was.
Dissapointed in this post from an established member... regardless of the saving grace of the precursor "Class 2"...

continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

How the F did that double post... maybe it's US based karma :wink:
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

ericlw wrote:
I have to agree with this. If i was running a range and i saw someone out their with an oil filter on the end of their gun you bet im going to question the legality of it. People who buy the commercial ones have been through the process and paper work to be legal.not some "solvent trap adapter" bs.
Not to be a ass ( though I certifiably am ) but as I have been approached at more then one range/ shooting area by the range master, employees, volunteers and le's wanting to verify the legality of items I own. My response is "lick my gooch". Unless the range rules require every member to PROVE they legally own what they are shooting ( in that case I would not have joined in the first place ) I will tell them call the police and I will tell them to lick my gooch as well. Yea I know I am a ass but having been through the whole BS to many times by ass-hat Le's ( not all are but I sure seem to have run into quite a few ) and such who even if you show them a form 1 or 4 have zero idea what it is let alone mine being a trust. They/ you have ZERO right to ask for this information and as fellow 2nd supporters and should be ashamed for even thinking of infringing on a person because you do not know/ understand what they have. I do not think I have EVER been to the range on a day when others are there and I was shooting a suppressor I did not get at least one "those are illegal" or similar statement from someone.
Last edited by rogerme on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

continuity wrote:
Dissapointed in this post from an established member... regardless of the saving grace of the precursor "Class 2"...

Sorry, but not really understanding what you are getting at?
sspbass
Silent Operator

Post by sspbass »

crazy-mp wrote:Its refreshing to see people who want to follow legal procedures instead of buying a 25 dollar adapter and a 6 dollar oil or fuel filter and thinking they are getting away with something. I would love to see one of these idiots get busted by the ATF for possession, manufacture and transport of a illegal firearm, here is your 250,000 dollar fine and 10 years in prison for each count.
Really? We have enough enemies without our own gun guys rooting for people to get busted.
I never will understand how we can be our own worst enemy. If it's apparent that someone doesn't know the law I may let them know so they don't mistakenly get into trouble but if they know what they are doing I'll give them a big F--k Yea!
Instead... a lot of people can't step on their dicks fast enough to get them into trouble.
sspbass
Silent Operator

Post by sspbass »

rogerme wrote:
ericlw wrote:
Not to be a ass ( though I certifiably am ) but as I have been approached at more then one range/ shooting area by the range master, employees, volunteers and le's wanting to verify the legality of items I own. My response is "lick my gooch". Unless the range rules require every member to PROVE they legally own what they are shooting ( in that case I would not have joined in the first place ) I will tell them call the police and I will tell them to lick my gooch as well. Yea I know I am a ass but having been through the whole BS to many times by ass-hat Le's ( not all are but I sure seem to have run into quite a few ) and such who even if you show them a form 1 or 4 have zero idea what it is let alone mine being a trust. They/ you have ZERO right to ask for this information and as fellow 2nd supporters and should be ashamed for even thinking of infringing on a person because you do not know/ understand what they have. I do not think I have EVER been to the range on a day when others are there and I was shooting a suppressor I did not get at least one "those are illegal" or similar statement from someone.
Good on you man! I don't have mine yet but I'll be the same way. If someones just being friendly and asking I'll share my knowledge with them. If their just being nosey dickheads they can go pound sand.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

sspbass wrote:
crazy-mp wrote:Its refreshing to see people who want to follow legal procedures instead of buying a 25 dollar adapter and a 6 dollar oil or fuel filter and thinking they are getting away with something. I would love to see one of these idiots get busted by the ATF for possession, manufacture and transport of a illegal firearm, here is your 250,000 dollar fine and 10 years in prison for each count.
Really? We have enough enemies without our own gun guys rooting for people to get busted.
I never will understand how we can be our own worst enemy. If it's apparent that someone doesn't know the law I may let them know so they don't mistakenly get into trouble but if they know what they are doing I'll give them a big F--k Yea!
Instead... a lot of people can't step on their dicks fast enough to get them into trouble.
+2!
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

I have only once been asked to prove the legality of my supressors;and I never visited that range again.

The other ranges I go to never ask or even seem to care. Most people are more interested in how it sounds rather then how legal it is.

What i do i find interesting is I dont see them running a background check on everyone coming in if they can legally posses a gun.so you want to check my paperwork but some felon could be shooting guns with his buddie and thats ok...right

And yes we can be our own worst enemy. look at ted nugent. he acts like the biggest child i have ever seen.he gives gun owners a bad image with how he acts a lot of times.
rogerme wrote:
ericlw wrote:
crazy-mp
Silent Operator

Post by crazy-mp »

sspbass wrote:
The people I encounter do know the gun laws they are looking for that way around it those are the ones I detest and they act like they are doing something absolutely legal. Apparently you have never tried to operate a legal business and have somebody set up a unlicensed business across from you and tout how there is no paperwork required or government knowing what your buying or even sales tax charged.

What is so hard about doing things the right way?
- - - Show Me Guns - - -
------Lebanon MO------
GrendelSpec

Post by GrendelSpec »

Thread bump...

Just curious as to why this would be illegal when products such as the Cadiz adapter exist of which are registered under the NFA for this particular use?
Ie, there are legal means to make this work, yes? So what's with all the nay saying?

Primary reason for the bump is on whether anyone has results of whether it makes a good can or not though. Seeing the performance of the oil filters is pretty impressive, but not being able to see through most of your scope isn't acceptable... this seems to be a good alternative.