Form 4 in the mail today

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

GHEN
Senior Silent Operator

Form 4 in the mail today

Post by GHEN »

So what is the over/under? Any chance I should feel hopeful about April 1?

GHEN
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Re: Form 4 in the mail today

Post by RJT »

3 to 1

I'm hoping the 3 I submitted at the beginning of last month hit in March, but I'm betting on July.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

I'm 3 months into a F3
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I'm just holding out hope that I get the one I submitted in April will get back before they shut down the NFA.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

GHEN wrote:So what is the over/under? Any chance I should feel hopeful about April 1?

GHEN
If you're talking about going pending, yes it'll probably be pending by then. If however, you mean approved. . . no way. Anything sent off in the last month will be looking at 12 months to approval. I sent off three form 1s on the 3rd myself. Keeping my fingers crossed.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Given the complete lack of Noveske barrels, I guess I won't be seeing the Leonidas I put a down payment on for at least 2 more years. :-(
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Damned depressing.

I'm still waiting on a F4 for a suppressor I paid for last July. I expect it sometime in October. That's why I'm only buying things that are in stock locally at this point.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

In the mail means nothing. Check cashed means nothing either (other than it wasnt lost in the mail). What you should only care about is the date it went pending. The "official" wait time begins there. And that the F4 app and serial# is in the system.

A year ago my F4 was mailed, cashed within few days, went pending within 2 weeks! Now it's a whole new ballgame. My how fast things change in a year. Gonna be some real depressing times ahead for NFA toys and applications.
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

No one here has done any Form 1 or 4 on the new electronic forms thru the site here: https://www.atfonline.gov/EForms/faces/ ... jemmr3f5_4

I just submitted 2 forms today and paid with my CC :)
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

bayonet14 wrote:No one here has done any Form 1 or 4 on the new electronic forms thru the site here: https://www.atfonline.gov/EForms/faces/ ... jemmr3f5_4

I just submitted 2 forms today and paid with my CC :)

My form 1 went pending next business day.
everyusernametaken
Senior Silent Operator

Post by everyusernametaken »

It looks like you can do a form 1 through eForms, but at the beginning of the form 4 flow, it appears to require an FFL. Not sure if there's a workaround for this, or if they have effectively disabled form 4s for non-FFLs through the eForms site...

ETA - On second thought, I guess the SOT transferor would be the one submitting through eForms, not the transferee, so maybe this makes sense. I was thinking that the transferee could submit it, in the same way that I can package everything and send it out after the transferor has signed the form, but that wouldn't make sense if both parties need to electronically sign. So it's up to your transferor whether they are willing to use eForms at your request.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

mpallett wrote:I'm 3 months into a F3
That's BS, no reason for these Form 3s to take three months plus. I hope that the online thingy works for at least the dealers.
GHEN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GHEN »

L1A1Rocker wrote:
GHEN wrote:So what is the over/under? Any chance I should feel hopeful about April 1?

GHEN
If you're talking about going pending, yes it'll probably be pending by then. If however, you mean approved. . . no way. Anything sent off in the last month will be looking at 12 months to approval. I sent off three form 1s on the 3rd myself. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I just got back Form 1s (granted they were Corp.) that took 7 months from check cashed to approved forms and tax stamps in my mail box.

Has there been some huge paradigm shift since then? I ought it will take 7 months to go pending...maybe I am just naive.

GHEN
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

The paradigm shift would be sequestration that took place in early March. That got rid of all the assistants (20+) that had been hired to help with the paperwork, and also the new examiners that had been hired. So there are 9 examiners for the whole country, and 30+k forms being submitted annually.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

MJF1911 wrote:The paradigm shift would be sequestration that took place in early March. That got rid of all the assistants (20+) that had been hired to help with the paperwork, and also the new examiners that had been hired. So there are 9 examiners for the whole country, and 30+k forms being submitted annually.
Could you back that up with some documentation? I keep hearing mixed reports, but no-one has shown any evidence at all of either layoffs or the lack thereof.
armalite_ar50
Silent Operator

Post by armalite_ar50 »

I tried doing the Eforms about two weeks ago @ that time you had to have a FFL. So I dropped the two sets in the mail.
THese were for F1's. Got all setup and everything then it started asking for ny FFl and SOT.

I've got 3 forms out right now. one is a F4 out of state, man is that going to be a while.

Darn gun will be a C&R by the time I get it in my hands.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Can't you just ask the dealer for the info?
everyusernametaken wrote:It looks like you can do a form 1 through eForms, but at the beginning of the form 4 flow, it appears to require an FFL. Not sure if there's a workaround for this, or if they have effectively disabled form 4s for non-FFLs through the eForms site...

ETA - On second thought, I guess the SOT transferor would be the one submitting through eForms, not the transferee, so maybe this makes sense. I was thinking that the transferee could submit it, in the same way that I can package everything and send it out after the transferor has signed the form, but that wouldn't make sense if both parties need to electronically sign. So it's up to your transferor whether they are willing to use eForms at your request.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Actually I see everything but the expiration on my approved Form 4. So I think you can do a Form 4 electronically.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Tony M. wrote:
MJF1911 wrote:The paradigm shift would be sequestration that took place in early March. That got rid of all the assistants (20+) that had been hired to help with the paperwork, and also the new examiners that had been hired. So there are 9 examiners for the whole country, and 30+k forms being submitted annually.
Could you back that up with some documentation? I keep hearing mixed reports, but no-one has shown any evidence at all of either layoffs or the lack thereof.

I'm waiting for a response from the ATF. Its been 4 months already.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

MJF1911 wrote:
Tony M. wrote:

Good luck I am still awaiting a response from the ATF about an issue almost a year ago and nothing but crickets.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:Can't you just ask the dealer for the info?
everyusernametaken wrote:It looks like you can do a form 1 through eForms, but at the beginning of the form 4 flow, it appears to require an FFL. Not sure if there's a workaround for this, or if they have effectively disabled form 4s for non-FFLs through the eForms site...

A Form4 can only be submitted by an SOT on the eForms system, has to come from their logon.

Even if you had their information the system wouldn't initiate the transfer without the SOT initiating it.

Think about it, if you could just type in the information you could transfer out items belonging to any SOT that you knew a toys serial number.

Not sure how a person to person Form4 is handled, I just see the FFL side of the system.
everyusernametaken
Senior Silent Operator

Post by everyusernametaken »

Bendersquint wrote:
wacki wrote:Can't you just ask the dealer for the info?

A Form4 can only be submitted by an SOT on the eForms system, has to come from their logon.

Even if you had their information the system wouldn't initiate the transfer without the SOT initiating it.

Think about it, if you could just type in the information you could transfer out items belonging to any SOT that you knew a toys serial number.

Not sure how a person to person Form4 is handled, I just see the FFL side of the system.

That's what I was thinking. I created an account on the eForms system with the intent of using it for form 4s, but I hadn't thought it through until I tried to start the process the other day. I don't do form 1s, as I personally stick to factory SBRs and I don't have the facilities to make a suppressor, so I guess my account on their site is pretty much useless to me.

I'm going to try and get my local dealer to use an eForm for a form 4 I'm submitting, we'll see if they are willing, as they don't seem to be very current in a lot of ways...
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

My forms were sent in January and I'm still twiddling my thumbs...

Gonna submit a form 1 this week on eforms
Keep calm, and suppress on
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Bendersquint wrote:
MJF1911 wrote:
Good luck I am still awaiting a response from the ATF about an issue almost a year ago and nothing but crickets.
[/quote]

It took them a year and a half to respond to an address change, and that was the good times.