AAC, SWR, or YHM for Quiet 300 BLK SBR Build

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Meridian

AAC, SWR, or YHM for Quiet 300 BLK SBR Build

Post by Meridian »

My goal for this build is to have a 300 BLK SBR AR I can shoot safely without hearing protection, so the quieter the better. My priorities are sound suppression, accuracy, and weight in that order. I'm willing to use any combination of barrel length and suppressor as long as the distance from breech to suppressor muzzle is approx. 18" or less. I will be shooting suppressed with subsonic ammunition about 95% of the time. I do not plan to use the suppressor on another host at this time.

I tend to go OCD on these kind of things, so I've done a goodly amount of preliminary research. I've narrowed my choices down to the following 4 suppressors in no particular order:

AAC 762-SDN-6
SWR SPECWAR
YHM Phantom 7.62Ti (YHM-3400-Ti)
YHM Phantom LT (YHM-4300)

I do not see QD mounts as an advantage for me since I don't plan to switch hosts often (if at all). For that reason, I have a preference for direct-thread mounts. The SDN-6 seems to have an advantage in sound suppression, but the reports of problems with the 51T mounts make me concerned about accuracy and reliability. I haven't seen much on the Phantom LT, but it appears to offer an additional 3db reduction over the Phantom 7.62Ti according to the mfr. specs.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to hear any of these suppressors live in-person, and online videos haven't really helped me in determining the actual noise levels of these suppressors. So, I'm looking for some input regarding noise, accuracy, and weight from those of you who have used or have live-fire experience with these four in particular.

TIA for the replies.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC, SWR, or YHM for Quiet 300 BLK SBR Build

Post by rimshaker »

I'm waiting for the AAC 300-TM
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Scratch the yhm off the list.
Meridian

Post by Meridian »

66427vette wrote:Scratch the yhm off the list.
Too loud?
rckshrk

Post by rckshrk »

I've been working on the same project. I finally settled on the Liberty Mystic. It's a 9mm can but it's rated for sub and super 300BLK out of a 8 inch barrel. Add to that, at 8 inches long made of Ti and SS, it only weighs about 16 oz and it's a thread on. And finally, the price is right.

If someone has a better option out there, please speak up. I will be buying this can in the next day or so.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

rckshrk wrote:I've been working on the same project. I finally settled on the Liberty Mystic. It's a 9mm can but it's rated for sub and super 300BLK out of a 8 inch barrel. Add to that, at 8 inches long made of Ti and SS, it only weighs about 16 oz and it's a thread on. And finally, the price is right.

If someone has a better option out there, please speak up. I will be buying this can in the next day or so.
I think it's a great choice.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

if you don't plan on switching hosts, go with the liberty Leonidas
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Its all about secondary perks here

AAC if you are going to use it on 5.56 as well

Liberty mystic if you want it for pistol duty
light 5.56 duty
Also if you shoot cast b00lits

SWR if you want to use it on magnum rifles later on.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Factor in customer service.
Meridian

Post by Meridian »

So, it sounds like AAC, SWR, and Liberty are the companies to be looking at. I don't know much about SWR or Liberty customer service. I did read AAC had customer service problems in the past; is that still the case?

What barrel length would be optimal?
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

AACs service depends on who you talk to. Different people say different things. But their is no denying that they make good stuff.

SWR/ silencerco have unbelievebly good service. Same with liberty. I've lost track of the amount of hours I've spent talking to Liberty. Both offer lifetime warranties. Both have excellent products aimed at different niches. Everyone that owns their cans loves them. It's why I also own a lot of their cans.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Meridian wrote:
What barrel length would be optimal?
The Leonidas uses 8.2" noveske. I've got a 9" AAC 300 BLK pending. 300blk is safer when used short than 5.56 for many reasons.

Go too short and gunpowder starts to eat your can. If you get a quick attach consider a brake as it catches the powder. Brakes are easier and cheaper to replace. Other wise you can expect 20k to 30k round lifetime. Liberty mystic can is easy to recore though. And they have great lifetime warranties. 300 BLK powder is supposed to burns out early .... Dunno how early though.

Ranier arms is supposed to have some good stuff as well for uppers.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

srt-4_uk wrote:if you don't plan on switching hosts, go with the liberty Leonidas
+1 on the Leonidas. If you don't mind the wait or can find a noveske barrel. I just put my down payment on one... and may not see it for a really long time though.

It's only 3 dB louder than the action cycling. The thought of shooting an AR that quiet gives me goose bumps.
Meridian

Post by Meridian »

Many thanks to you all for the replies and input. I narrowed my choices down to the 762-SDN-6 and the SPECWAR 762. Unfortunately, neither come with a direct-thread option. However, the SPECWAR QD mount is reputed to offer a better lock-up (and, thus, more consistency) than the 51T. The SPECWAR is slightly longer (~1-3/8") and a little heavier (~4oz) but seemed to have the edge in noise reduction in most comparisons I was able to find. Although the SDN-6 is slightly shorter and lighter, the potential for problems with the 51T mount and AAC customer service gave me cause for concern and ultimately tipped the balance. So, I decided to go with the SPECWAR.

Liberty, YHM, and SWR/Silencero (once I found the right person), were all very prompt and very helpful in pre-sales support/Q&A, etc.. In particular, I want to thank Gary at SWR/Silencerco, Richard & Stu at Liberty, and Randy at SilencerShop.com for their advice. I still haven't heard anything back from AAC.

Now the wait....
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Meridian wrote:Liberty, YHM, and SWR/Silencero (once I found the right person), were all very prompt and very helpful in pre-sales support/Q&A, etc.. In particular, I want to thank Gary at SWR/Silencerco, Richard & Stu at Liberty, and Randy at SilencerShop.com for their advice. I still haven't heard anything back from AAC.

Now the wait....

This has been my experience as well. Gary will give you a response within hours and the guys as liberty will talk to you for hours.

It's unfortunate to hear this trend regarding AAC. They've done a lot for the industry.
Silencerfreak

Post by Silencerfreak »

I went ahead and bought both! We'll not exactly. I bought the specwar 762 and got a really good deal on a AAC 762 SD, I actually like the specwar better, saving for a Specwar 556 next!
1slow01Z71
Silent Operator

Post by 1slow01Z71 »

The Liberty Mystic is on my short list to buy just because its so versatile but for my build that is almost exactly like yours I went specwar as well. I wanted my 300BLK to be as quiet as possible. While my yhm ti works decent, when I tried my buddys specwar on it, there was a very noticeable difference in sound. Much more quiet, and was really awesome, so much so that I ordered one mainly to just use on my SBR 300BLK. I think you will very happy with your choice plus later on you can use it on damn near anything you want.
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone