A return to the "dark ages"

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

A return to the "dark ages"

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

With the pending legislation, do you think people will return to the dark ages?

going underground? Having and creating what you please and keeping it out of sight?

I have often pondered the shear multitude of unregistered sbr's, mg's, sbs, and even cans....

Is this a "what big brother doesn't know, can't hurt him" (but clearly may hurt you)
Keep calm, and suppress on
BearTHIS
Silent Operator

Re: A return to the "dark ages"

Post by BearTHIS »

This is not legislation (in fact, its a circumvention of legislation bc the legislature, no matter how shitty, had nothing to do with this).

Sorry... Don't know the answers you're looking for.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

BearTHIS wrote:This is not legislation (in fact, its a circumvention of legislation bc the legislature, no matter how shitty, had nothing to do with this).

Sorry... Don't know the answers you're looking for.
Verbiage aside, things likely will change.

We shall consider this an academic exercise. By no means would I advocate breaking the law of the great country
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

To some degree the question is how many people might willingly circumvent the law and to what degree otherwise honest people may be unwittingly put in the position of committing felonies they don't know about or don't even understand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

doubloon wrote:To some degree the question is how many people might willingly circumvent the law and to what degree otherwise honest people may be unwittingly put in the position of committing felonies they don't know about or don't even understand.
Yup. I can't even count the number of folks I've talked to who have made illegal SBR's without knowing about it. Most people know MG's and cans are restricted, but not everyone.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

doubloon wrote:To some degree the question is how many people might willingly circumvent the law .
I would venture to say that the number of people will increase. Eventually the citizens will become "fed up" (sorry for the pun) with the government, and they will do what they deem necessary to acquire the weapons they desire
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ChimeraPrecision wrote: Eventually the citizens will become "fed up" (sorry for the pun) with the government, and they will do what they deem necessary to acquire the weapons they desire
They do this already, changing how the process works won't increase it......remember its the law abiders that actually go through the process not the people already inclined to break the law.
HK45
Silent Operator

Post by HK45 »

I'd like to think that most people have too much to lose to even think about illegal class 3 items.
You could lose your job, your house, your life savings and even your freedom.

That's too big a price to pay just to have a full auto or a suppressor.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

HK45 wrote: That's too big a price to pay just to have a full auto or a suppressor.
Many cases of where that didn't matter sad enough.
HK45
Silent Operator

Post by HK45 »

Bendersquint wrote:
HK45 wrote: That's too big a price to pay just to have a full auto or a suppressor.
Did SRI get their machine problem fixed?
I'm waiting on a Viper 45.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

HK45 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Did SRI get their machine problem fixed?
We have a fix in place and testing it right now, hoping to be back at speed in the next day or so.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

doubloon wrote:otherwise honest people may be unwittingly put in the position of committing felonies they don't know about or don't even understand.
When the Sterling kits came available there were a LOT of Star Wars geeks that made replicas of Stormtrooper blasters without knowing they had committed a felony. (For those that don't know; the Stormtrooper blasters were made from Sterlings.)
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Killer Star Wars info,
Didn't realize they were starlings
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Bendersquint wrote:
E.g. WACO Texas

76 dead
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

L1A1Rocker wrote:
doubloon wrote:otherwise honest people may be unwittingly put in the position of committing felonies they don't know about or don't even understand.
When the Sterling kits came available there were a LOT of Star Wars geeks that made replicas of Stormtrooper blasters without knowing they had committed a felony. (For those that don't know; the Stormtrooper blasters were made from Sterlings.)

Omg there are so many felonies around certain conventions. This is awesome from a debate-the-antis perspective but a real tragedy for real gun enthusiasts.
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

if the CLEO signoff thing becomes enacted, people will just abandon the whole NFA trust thing and get FFLs.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

bani wrote:if the CLEO signoff thing becomes enacted, people will just abandon the whole NFA trust thing and get FFLs.
Then the ATF will crack down harder on audits and inspections and make ACTUAL business ffl's that much more of a hassle and drive up consumer prices.

Still gotta be in business and CLEO's are still notified of your business and the licensing you have.
sniper1
Silent But Deadly

Post by sniper1 »

Bendersquint wrote:Still gotta be in business and CLEO's are still notified of your business and the licensing you have.
I dont care if they know what I have. I only care if they are lording their self-righteous, "I have a badge you dont" BS over me and refuse their signature.

Then I would agree that more and more people will say 4uck it and do what they want. I think it will be primarily SBR's though, maybe some MG's, but not as many silencers. And the only reason I rank them in that order is the ease of "manufacturing."
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

Bendersquint wrote:Still gotta be in business and CLEO's are still notified of your business and the licensing you have.
the point being cleos have ZERO control in the decision whether you get an FFL or not.

if the ATF makes CLEO signoff required, people will find other ways.

period.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

bani wrote:
the point being cleos have ZERO control in the decision whether you get an FFL or not.

if the ATF makes CLEO signoff required, people will find other ways.

period.

I believe this to be true.

I also believe many people will start choosing the "paperless" option