First Suppressor Purchases: I got alot of questions. Help!!!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

daredwit

First Suppressor Purchases: I got alot of questions. Help!!!

Post by daredwit »

I apologize in advance for the redundancy, as I'm sure what I am about to ask, has been asked 1000+ times and you probably get sick of answering these same questions: With that said, I respect your opinions and would greatly appreciate any and all advice. It would mean a lot to me if you could help me out and reply to my first time owner questions. I have done some research on my own but honestly, I don't feel any further ahead then when I started.

First and foremost, let me provide some info that may help with answering my question. I would like to buy a couple .22 suppressors, a 9mm suppressor, a 5.56 suppressor and maybe.......both a .45 and 7.62 suppressor.

The most important thing to me in this order is.....Performance (I live in a populated area and want them as quiet as possible), Durability and ease of maintenance, Ease of Use, Looks and Price.

I will probably want to stick to caliber specific cans for optimal performance than say.....buying a 7.62 can for use on a .223 or buying a .45 can and using it on a 9mm. The .22s will be shot a lot and see the most use, followed by the 9mm and the .223 with the .45 and 7.62 seeing the least amount of use.

For Hosts: I have a few .22 rifles (Colt M4 .22, ATI .22lr AK, GSG STG-44 .22 and Chiappa M1 Carbine in .22) and I'll be using a few .22 pistols.....probably the regulars (Sig mosquito or 226 .22, Colt .22 1911, Glock 17 or 19 with .22 conversion kit and a few others I can't think of right now. Performance and durability wise, I have narrowed my choices to a silencerco Sparrow and SWR Spectre II (although honestly, I really don't like the looks of the Spectre II. I like just a plain round can and don't care for the aggressive end cap look). What do you think about these choices for .22 cans?

For the 9mm, It will be used the most to practice with on my carry gun (Glock 17) and see occasional use on a Beretta 92, a Hi Power, a P-38 and an 1895 Nagant Revolver. It will get the most use on my Glock 17 but nowhere near the use the .22s will get. I have narrowed my choices to an AAC Ti-Rant and an SWR Octane 9HD. I really like the Silencerco Osprey but I don't like the idea that it doesn't come apart.

For the 5.56/.223 can, this will be used and reside on my home defense 16'' AR15 so I prefer to have the quietest can possible (so if I ever have to use it indoors). It won't get shot a lot since I use my .22 Colt M4 for training. I plan on using it with light bullets (due to minimal penetration within the home) if that makes any difference. I may occasionally use it on a 5.45X39 AK74. I really don't know what to look for in a .556 can. I looked at the AAC M4-2000, SWR Spec War, YHM Phantom and the Kestrel from Huntertown Arms. I could really use your advice here. I want durability but the SS models seem like they would be very muzzle heavy.

For the .45 can, I am looking at the SWR Octane .45 HD, AAC Ti-Rant .45 and the Silencerco Osprey. I really like the way the Osprey looks and It is the only can I have ever shot. I shot it on a Remington R1 1911 indoors and it was amazing how quiet it was considering the closed in concrete walls. If the Osprey was user serviceable, I would buy Ospreys in both 9mm and .45. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the bore diameter and the fact that I probably won't be using the .45 as much as the .22 and 9mm, does the fact that the Osprey doesn't come apart really matter? It will be used mostly for fun most likely on a 1911 or USP .45. I am aware of the fact that Silencerco will clean/replace the can if it becomes clogged but I am not too keen on the idea of having to send it out for service.

Finally, the 7.62 can. This may or may not be easy since this can will have one general purpose.....To use on my bolt guns.....specifically, my Remington 700 BDL in .270, My Springfield M1903 30-06 and my Mosin-Nagant 91/30. If I can find them, I would prefer to use subsonic loads but regardless, these don't get shot a lot because I don't have the land to shoot them on and don't get to a rifle range very often. Like the .223 can, I am not really sure what models to check out. Thanks everyone. Any and all constructive advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, what is the general opinion of TBA Suppressors? While it doesn't look like they have the absolute cutting edge standards in performance on some of their cans, I like the idea of being able to customize the cans as far as size, finish, custom serial numbers etc.... As far as I know, this is the only such company that offers the customer the option of customizing their suppressors.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: First Suppressor Purchases: I got alot of questions. Hel

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I'm partial to the AAC and Liberty brands. Another consideration is cleaning and lead bullets. I cast my own and shoot almost exclusively lead bullets. It's important to me to be able to disassemble and clean the internals.
Bird
Silent Operator

Post by Bird »

First off, buy all the cans you want/are able to buy...they are fun to shoot. I happen to like AAC and Silencerco cans, AAC Cyclone for 7.62 cal and Silencerco for 22 cal. I've shot .223 through my Cyclone and there's very little sound difference between 7.62 supers and 5.56 supers. To my ears, more noise comes from the bolt being open a fraction of a second than you can hear difference between the rounds through the can. If you want 30 cal power and AR convenience with quiet, get a 300 blackout AR, your 7.62 can and feed it sub rounds. 5.56 sucks as a sub sonic round so don't even hassle with trying.

If you can't buy all of your cans at the same time, buy the larger caliber cans first, ie 7.62 for rifle and 45 for pistol so you can at least shoot your 5.56 and your 9 with a can. Personally I prefer direct thread screw on cans over QD but it is a completely personal preference with no real performance differences, just faster to get a QD can on/off and of course a certain amount of "tacti-cool" look. BTW- don't get too caught up in which can is the most quiet vs some other can...they are all quiet and you won't be able to tell the difference unless shooting directly side by side. Then you'll realize that it truly doesn't matter. Stick with the name brands from quality reputable companies and you'll get a good can.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
QuIet Noob
Silent Operator

Post by QuIet Noob »

I have the Spectre II, Warlock II, 45Osprey, SDN6. I love all the cans. I shoot the osprey on my 9's and my SDN6 on 223. They both work great on sub calibers. You cannot go wrong with Silencerco products and service. I have had good luck with my one AAC can. If you want to shoot cast lead bullets then get an Octane or Tirant. You can't go wrong with either one. I would buy which ever one your dealer has in stock now.

Or, Buy them all and decide for yourself. :D

Welcome to your new addiction.

KC