300 weatherby

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BlakeJ
Silent But Deadly

300 weatherby

Post by BlakeJ »

My wife just won a 300 weatherby at a ducks unlimited banquet! Think I should try to suppress it???
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 weatherby

Post by mbogo »

Why bother? You'll only reduce the muzzle signature; the bullet is supersonic, and the 'crack' will still be audible.

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
acg1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 weatherbye

Post by acg1911 »

BlakeJ wrote:My wife just won a 300 weatherby at a ducks unlimited banquet! Think I should try to suppress it???
Do it, man. For the same reason as the muffler on your car, it will make it less loud. If you can hunt with cans, even more reason to do it. It will take a robust can, though. And you may want to shorten the barrel for maneuverability.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

BlakeJ wrote:My wife just won a 300 weatherby at a ducks unlimited banquet! Think I should try to suppress it???
Do you own a rifle can rated for 300 magnums? If you do, why the hell wouldn't you suppress it?! If you don't... I'd considering if you have other applications that would work well with a 30cal suppressor. Then remember we're at 1year+ waits, so I'd get on it if you think you'll do it at all. It'll be a nice present for yourself in 2015.
Bird
Silent Operator

Post by Bird »

Ask the manufacturer of your favorite cans if their 30 cal can will handle a 300 weatherby. Lots of gas to eat for a standard 30 cal can. I thought about suppressing my 300 weatherby and asked AAC, they suggested using a can rated for 338 lapua (Titan). Do it and then post results.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

I suppressed my 375h&h and it was well worth it.
All high velocity rifle rounds have the sonic crack but suppressed it is much quieter to the shooters ear and it will reduce the recoil to less than a 308 unsuppressed.
emrisg
Silent But Deadly

Post by emrisg »

Aac 7.62 sdn -6 as long as barrel is longer than 24 inches
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Most of the guys at my gun club don't use suppressors. Most of the guys at my gun club also wear hearing aids.

I use a suppressor. I hope to be hearing aid free.
Parliament

Post by Parliament »

wacki wrote:Most of the guys at my gun club don't use suppressors. Most of the guys at my gun club also wear hearing aids.

I use a suppressor. I hope to be hearing aid free.
WHAT!? Speak up.

Silence is addictive. If you already have a can, all it costs is threading and an adapter.
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

Is the barrel thick enough? I have a 300 weatherby magnum and the barrel is too thin to thread.
BlakeJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlakeJ »

bigbigpig wrote:Is the barrel thick enough? I have a 300 weatherby magnum and the barrel is too thin to thread.

Probably not...

But maybe one day I'll rebarrel it.
Bird
Silent Operator

Post by Bird »

My 300 Wby MkV has a muzzle brake. I haven't taken it off but my understanding from Weatherby is that the threads are 1/2-28 on a #1 contour barrel. If I was going to suppress, I'd get a 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapter, twist on can and shoot. I had to do this on my 7mm-08, works great.

I talked to a class 2 07/02 SOT about having a custom suppressor made with the can high gloss blued to match my MkV. Even he said it would be $$$. I might still do it, just because I can...pun intended.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.