Dedicated Suppressors for home defense

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

blackops_1

Dedicated Suppressors for home defense

Post by blackops_1 »

This is for my 1911 45 but information will apply accross calibers. Long story short since the trust option "maybe" going away I'm having to move up my plans to get into nfa stuff fast. So my nightstand gun mentioned needs something superquiet and small, in 45 right! Was looking at the Poseidon with grease option till I realized the "wipes" would block the hp cavity after watching the take down video yes??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_CzRwwOjrM

For what they are designed for the Thompson machine Poseidon's seem great, but not for defense type bullets. I use Speer 230gr gold dots which average around 1000 fps if memory serves out of this gun. So back to bigger cans like the SWR Octane 45. Am I missing anything other than a bevy of other also good full size type cans to consider??

This thread got me thinking viewtopic.php?f=5&t=114447

eta-Just realized its possible to stamp out a nice .45 caliber hole in the middle of the wipes that would negate the clogged bullets but then you have evaporation of your medium to consider..hmm having options is nice. Since the shots fired will be less than 1 mag most likely if one remembers to check the medium periodically this maybe a good compromise? Has anyone else done this?
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dedicated Suppressors for home defense

Post by OJB4 »

Not wanting to badmouth Thomson Machine at all. However, make sure if you do pick a can from them that you buy from somebody IN stock at your dealer. I ordered a TM - Thirty when I bought my first cans and I still haven't gotten my hands on it yet (Ordered it in May of 2012 I think). For reference I picked up 12 cans since I started buying NFA between late February of this year and today. All cans I have took approx 5.5 to 6 months from pending to pickup date. I know things have gotten longer and longer in regards to wait time on Form 3's and Form 4's. When I ordered my current cans Form 3's took just a month or so at the longest if I remember correctly.

Good luck in your choice.

PS - I love my Octane 9 and ordered the 45 version. My Liberty Miranda is absolutely AWESOME on my FNH-45 tactical. It's hearing safe! It's kinda long, but boy is it QUIET! I also can't say enough about the staff at Liberty Suppressors. They're always super helpful and extremely friendly.

Enjoy!
I've gotta stop this habit.
blackops_1

Post by blackops_1 »

Thanks for the tips OJB4! Considering how long I'll be waiting for the atf 9-15 months I'm hearing, waiting on a form 3 will seem easy :?
Will_M
Silent Operator

Post by Will_M »

Why do form 3's from Thompson Machine take so long?
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Will_M wrote:Why do form 3's from Thompson Machine take so long?
Are you sure they were submitted? Get numbers and check.
GHEN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GHEN »

66427vette wrote:
Will_M wrote:Why do form 3's from Thompson Machine take so long?
Are you sure they were submitted? Get numbers and check.
I had a Form 3 for an Isis II that took 7 weeks, it arrived at my dealers about a mnth ago...I would check this out if I were you.

Good luck,

GHEN
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

blackops_1 wrote:Thanks for the tips OJB4! Considering how long I'll be waiting for the atf 9-15 months I'm hearing, waiting on a form 3 will seem easy :?

Maybe I should try to clarify what I was saying after reading some of the replies listed below my original post.

I wasn't trying to say that Thompson Machine takes longer to do form 3's than anybody else and appologize if that's how it read. It's got nothing to do with Form 3's from Thompson machine taking a long time (or longer than any other Form 3). My long wait for a Thompson Machine product simply had to do with the amount of time it took Thompson Machine to get around to making my suppressor.

I had my dealer order a long list of suppressors from various manufacturers in May or June of 2012 (one being the TM - Thirty). Come October of 2012 I wrote multiple tax checks to the ATF but the TM-Thirty was not one of the ones I wrote a check for as it hadn't been made and therefore we couldn't begin the paperwork. Thompson Machine had to make the item and I'm sure an order of 1 can from my dealer wasn't at the top of the to-do list or I had just missed out on them making a batch of TM-30 suppressors. It's nothing I was upset about or anything that they did wrong......just takes time when you make a small order from a small dealer.

My point to the OP was that with the Trust laws possibly changing that he should take care in trying to make an order and have them go through with the current trust laws since the simple act of waiting for a specific can to make it to his dealer could be a long enough wait so that he would have to follow the NEW trust laws that go into effect. My specific TM order in mid 2012 only JUST had my tax check cashed on September 4th of 2013.

Long story short......if worried about new trust law changes and you are wanting to buy goodies under current law then buy something IN stock since the wait could put you following any new trust laws thus negating the reason you ordered in the first place.

Hope this made more sense and that everybody understands I was in NO WAY trying to badmouth Thompson Machine or say that they aren't on top of their paperwork. I've heard nothing but good things about the guys over there and have no reason to suspect otherwise.
GHEN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GHEN »

OJB4 wrote:
I wasn't trying to say that Thompson Machine takes longer to do form 3's than anybody else and appologize if that's how it read. It's got nothing to do with Form 3's from Thompson machine taking a long time (or longer than any other Form 3). My long wait for a Thompson Machine product simply had to do with the amount of time it took Thompson Machine to get around to making my suppressor.
Gotcha, looks like I could have read a little more carefully. Thanks for the clarification.

GHEN
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

GHEN wrote:
OJB4 wrote:
Gotcha, looks like I could have read a little more carefully. Thanks for the clarification.

GHEN

No problem at all.....I should probably read and re-read all my posts before I post them since I sometimes get lost on a tangent and then have a 90 paragraph post to say 2 sentences. :) It drives my wife nuts that I can't just say the 2 damn sentences and leave it at that.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

OJB4 wrote:

No problem at all.....I should probably read and re-read all my posts before I post them since I sometimes get lost on a tangent and then have a 90 paragraph post to say 2 sentences. :) It drives my wife nuts that I can't just say the 2 damn sentences and leave it at that.
You in a line of work where you talk a lot?
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

wacki wrote:
OJB4 wrote:

You in a line of work where you talk a lot?
I'm the general manager at an independent pharmacy......but my mom is a motormouth and I guess it got passed on to a degree (hahaha). I usually only run my mouth a lot with friends and family however. Generally with strangers I don't say much. I assume that means I consider you guys friends and family. I also give lots of details when telling a story as to paint a clear picture but guess I get carried away.