Thoughts on buying an HTG Coyoti?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Modeler

Thoughts on buying an HTG Coyoti?

Post by Modeler »

Hi all,

One of my local dealers has an HTG Coyoti in stock that I'm thinking about buying. I'm looking for a 5.56 can to go on my SBR AR to replace the current .30 caliber can that weighs 28 ounces. I'm seriously considering buying this one for it's light weight (12 ounces) and relatively short length (6.1" oal), but it concerns me that the company is no longer in business (there's no one there back up the product). I've done a bit of research and most folks seem happy with their HTG suppressors though...

Any thoughts? Would you buy a brand new suppressor from a manufacturer that's no longer around?

http://www.htgsilencers.com/products/su ... uctID=2849
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thoughts on buying an HTG Coyoti?

Post by SRM »

I would pass unless you want to add to the collection.
Modeler

Post by Modeler »

SRM wrote:I would pass unless you want to add to the collection.
I do want to add to the collection though, I have a .30, there is a Sparrow SS in process and I'm going to be mailing in a F4 for an SWR Octane 45 next week. What I'm currently lacking is a dedicated 5.56 suppressor. It's more a question of this suppressor or a different brand/model. He also has an SWR SpecWar and a Silencerco Saker in stock, but they're both QD and I'd really like a direct-thread can for 5.56.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

That spec war locks up super tight and sounds better than cans at twice the price. You did great on your other items why screw up now. :D
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Modeler wrote:
SRM wrote:I would pass unless you want to add to the collection.
I do want to add to the collection though, I have a .30, there is a Sparrow SS in process and I'm going to be mailing in a F4 for an SWR Octane 45 next week. What I'm currently lacking is a dedicated 5.56 suppressor. It's more a question of this suppressor or a different brand/model. He also has an SWR SpecWar and a Silencerco Saker in stock, but they're both QD and I'd really like a direct-thread can for 5.56.
Silencerco offers a direct thread mount for the Saker...
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

I have the Liberty Torch and they did a 5/8 thread for me. The best five bills I ever spent on a can. Sounds great on a 16" AR too. No shitten here!
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

66427vette wrote:That spec war locks up super tight and sounds better than cans at twice the price. You did great on your other items why screw up now. :D
I want one of those as well!

Saker, not so much, SORRY!

UM, not sorry. toooo much, um, ........nevermind.
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

i have a coyoti. it's an excellent suppressor and it's a shame BRO isn't honoring HTG warranty.

the baffle design is extremely effective, but its design also means you WILL need to clean it.

see if you can talk your dealer into a discount, taking into account HTG is no more. if you can get a good deal on it i'd go for it. you can get the can serviced by other companies if need be.
Modeler

Post by Modeler »

bani wrote:i have a coyoti. it's an excellent suppressor and it's a shame BRO isn't honoring HTG warranty.

the baffle design is extremely effective, but its design also means you WILL need to clean it.

see if you can talk your dealer into a discount, taking into account HTG is no more. if you can get a good deal on it i'd go for it. you can get the can serviced by other companies if need be.
He's offering me a good deal for sure, and I happen to work part time for another 02/07 FFL so service shouldn't be a huge problem. Thanks for the first hand experience!
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

How much is he charging you?
Modeler

Post by Modeler »

66427vette wrote:How much is he charging you?
$600 (MSRP was $795).
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Screw that.
Modeler

Post by Modeler »

66427vette wrote:Screw that.
Why? Do you know of another titanium suppressor in stock that I can get for $600?
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

You are buying an obsolete can that the company is not around to support it. This is not the kind of item I would penny pinch on. They were known for running super tight bores to get sound down .
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

If I recall it is a direct thread silencer. The sbr you are going to put it on will play havoc on its's internals. I would get something with a mb qd mount. Your money though.
Modeler

Post by Modeler »

66427vette wrote:You are buying an obsolete can that the company is not around to support it. This is not the kind of item I would penny pinch on. They were known for running super tight bores to get sound down .
I understand that the company isn't around to support it, but why is it obsolete? BRO took over the HTG line and is selling the same thing in Stainless (the Aris), would you advise against that can as well?
66427vette wrote:If I recall it is a direct thread silencer. The sbr you are going to put it on will play havoc on its's internals. I would get something with a mb qd mount. Your money though..
I'm not sure I understand; will the problem be from the direct-thread aspect? If so, how would a QD mount be better?
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

66427vette wrote:You are buying an obsolete can that the company is not around to support it. This is not the kind of item I would penny pinch on. They were known for running super tight bores to get sound down .
come on, enough of this BS.

i measured my coyoti bores, they are fine. this is a total non issue.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Lol. Enjoy . Their test units.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101285&start
Modeler

Post by Modeler »

I went ahead and bought the CoyoTi today and will mail the paperwork off tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for their input!
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

oh yeah, the nice thing about a user servicable can is the baffles are easy to replace if they get eroded.
Modeler

Post by Modeler »

bani wrote:oh yeah, the nice thing about a user servicable can is the baffles are easy to replace if they get eroded.
Exactly. I was impressed with the takeapart feature and how lightweight it was. And a special thanks to you Bani for your firsthand experience with the CoyoTi!