best can if u want to use lead .45 hand loads-cleaning

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

best can if u want to use lead .45 hand loads-cleaning

Post by rcn11thacr »

I'm leaning towards the opsrey 450 since i can use the sights. However i know its not "really" user serviceable, when it comes to cleaning. Any other excentric cans that are user take apart for cleaning when using lead hand loads?
Blackhorse Scout
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Re: best can if u want to use lead .45 hand loads-cleaning

Post by Pman5KMO »

rcn11thacr wrote:I'm leaning towards the opsrey 450 since i can use the sights. However i know its not "really" user serviceable, when it comes to cleaning. Any other excentric cans that are user take apart for cleaning when using lead hand loads?
Most eccentric cans won't be user serviceable due to design constraints.

However if you cast properly with a matched alloy properly lubes and sized leading in a .45 should be no more than exposed based fmj bullets. Only thing is light target loads won't function reliably and can cause increased wear on host and can.

Also if you use an ablative it will help reduce the lead that sticks. Also silencerco has probably the BEST CS and would probably hook up cleanings with a fast turn around.
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

At this point I have fired little cast ammo through a can yet. Am planning on it ... but would not do so with a can that is not user serviceable based on the crap that I have seen build up in the compensators of race pistols.

There is material from the base of projectiles mixed with bullet lube ... makes for a mess that is not easy to clean out!

I personally want user serviceability and baffles that I can clean in a tumbler with stainless steel pins. Pretty much think the Octane design is going to work. Isn't an eccentric design but a design likely the needs for shooting volumes of cast ammo.
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

eastern_hunter wrote:At this point I have fired little cast ammo through a can yet. Am planning on it ... but would not do so with a can that is not user serviceable based on the crap that I have seen build up in the compensators of race pistols.

There is material from the base of projectiles mixed with bullet lube ... makes for a mess that is not easy to clean out!

I personally want user serviceability and baffles that I can clean in a tumbler with stainless steel pins. Pretty much think the Octane design is going to work. Isn't an eccentric design but a design likely the needs for shooting volumes of cast ammo.
The octane would be my personal choice if I were to shoot cast....

I know I only plan to shoot jacketed stuff through my osprey.

As far as comps on raceguns, were they .45 or .38 super or one of many other race gun specific calibers?

The little .45 lead cast I have shot didn't lead any more than cheap .45 230 grain FMJ with exposed base. Standard pressure .45 loads are low and with proper sized and hardness bullets or ones powder coated, should be just fine.

But the osprey is the only mass produced eccentric can I know of, and I know with my old cobra M2 on my 1911 the standard trijicon night sights sit flush with the top of the can.... I believe the octane and cobra are about the same diameter
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

I would be happy with the octane 45, so long as i could use the darn sights. Makes no sense to me to buy a can that suppresses well, but you cant aim the darn thing. Plan is to use it primarily on a Remington r1 and maybe once in a while on my k40 khar if i can get it threaded (not sure if its possible). Has anyone used a octane on a Remington r1? Can you use the factory sights with an octane?
Blackhorse Scout
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Shoot with both eyes open and aim through the can. done deal. :D
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

SRM wrote:Shoot with both eyes open and aim through the can. done deal. :D
lol. Funny but quite what i had in mind for peak accuracy..
Blackhorse Scout
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Generally one installs taller sights when needed. Have done that for SIGs to be used with Octane 9s.

Will be doing it for a SIG 1911 when the Octane 45 clears. The fact that it has a Novak rear sight will not be helpful.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

eastern_hunter wrote:Generally one installs taller sights when needed. Have done that for SIGs to be used with Octane 9s.

Will be doing it for a SIG 1911 when the Octane 45 clears. The fact that it has a Novak rear sight will not be helpful.
In fact for a fat can ( not Nancy Pelosi :) ) a reflex sight
like the Browning Buck Mark, can be
mounted with a SS strap rig.

Derived from seeing a mounting of a green laser sight
on an old ATF approved 'Kosher'
TAPCO 10 Port Long Muzzle Brake FN.

Messy looking but it can remain on the can and is adjustable.