Need help writing a letter on a barrel shroud

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

stre-tch

Need help writing a letter on a barrel shroud

Post by stre-tch »

Here's the skinny.

I want to write a letter to the ATF (I think it is them please correct me if I am wrong) asking them if I permanently attach a 16" ar15 handguard to the ar15 barrel (welding the barrel nut to barrel then a blind pin and weld for the aluminum ff tube) that it would be a permanent barrel shroud (a la TacSol SBX) and I would not need a SBR stamp if the original barrel was <16"

I figured I only get one shot at this so I need help writing it up and I need to know who I should send it to.

Thanks
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Need help writing a letter on a barrel shroud

Post by Bendersquint »

stre-tch wrote:Here's the skinny.

I want to write a letter to the ATF (I think it is them please correct me if I am wrong) asking them if I permanently attach a 16" ar15 handguard to the ar15 barrel (welding the barrel nut to barrel then a blind pin and weld for the aluminum ff tube) that it would be a permanent barrel shroud (a la TacSol SBX) and I would not need a SBR stamp if the original barrel was <16"

I figured I only get one shot at this so I need help writing it up and I need to know who I should send it to.

Thanks
First off NEVER WRITE THE ATF!

Secondly.....as long as it is pinned and welded to the barrel itself then it considered permanent by the BATFE, no need to write a letter.

Pin and weld the barrel nut to the AR barrel, and pin and weld the tube to the barrel nut and you are good to go......BUT......

How do you install the barrel if the barrel nut is welded to the barrel? I am guessing you haven't seen a barrel outside the receiver as there is an index pin you need to install the barrel into the receiver.....unless you are going to install the barrel THEN weld it and forever make that receiver attached to that barrel.
stre-tch

Post by stre-tch »

Well here was my idea

I figured once the barrel nut was tightened down to where I needed it I would then weld the barrel nut to the barrel (usually they are both steel so it would be easy (I have a welder budy who would do it).

After that I would get one of those handguard that has the tabs so it can't rotate (usually made out of aluminum) and I would slide that on and blind pin and weld that to the barrel nut that was welded onto the barrel as well as weld a piece of tube making the handguard over 16".

All said and done if I ever wanted to disassemble the upper I would have to drill out the blind pin and weld as well as grind off the welds holding the barrel nut to the barrel.

If I understand your advice you are saying I would not need to send in a letter to the BATFE for this correct?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Most barrel nuts for forearms are aluminum. There are some that use the standard castle nut so you are limited to those forearms.

99% of the handguards out there are aluminum, not steel. How are you planning to weld the aluminum handguard to the steel barrel nut? There isn't much room for a blind pin.

It sounds like you have a basic idea but I think you need to start looking at dimensions and see what reality says.

The law is clear and you have a good understanding of this aspect, now work on the technical sides of your project.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Bendersquint wrote:First off NEVER WRITE THE ATF!
This is a sad state of affairs. We really need a FAQ on this crap as I'm curious as to why getting pre-approval is such a bad idea.
stre-tch

Post by stre-tch »

Trying to find out the Specs on the Nordic Components FF tube (15.5" length)

I am trying to find the ID of the tube and how it is assembled.

For the price ($99) if it works out I don't think I can go wrong.

If it is a two piece system I think it will work out

I don't want to go for the seekins just because of the price
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

stre-tch wrote:Trying to find out the Specs on the Nordic Components FF tube (15.5" length)

I am trying to find the ID of the tube and how it is assembled.

For the price ($99) if it works out I don't think I can go wrong.

If it is a two piece system I think it will work out

I don't want to go for the seekins just because of the price
All the tubes will have an aluminum barrel nut, and a single piece tube.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

wacki wrote:
This is a sad state of affairs. We really need a FAQ on this crap as I'm curious as to why getting pre-approval is such a bad idea.
Asking your government for permission is like asking your employees at the company you own "hey do you mind if I take the afternoon off?"

You dont ask YOUR employees for s--t. Too ad onto that, the idea he has is legal. . . not going to be easily handeled, but it is legal.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

nice shot wrote:Asking your government for permission is like asking your employees at the company you own "hey do you mind if I take the afternoon off?"

You dont ask YOUR employees for s--t. Too ad onto that, the idea he has is legal. . . not going to be easily handeled, but it is legal.
Can I fire the president then? I think he's doing a lousy job. :-p

In all seriousness the way things are going lately we are the servants of the big fed.gov and not the other way around.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

wacki wrote:
nice shot wrote:Asking your government for permission is like asking your employees at the company you own "hey do you mind if I take the afternoon off?"

Can I fire the president then? I think he's doing a lousy job. :-p

In all seriousness the way things are going lately we are the servants of the big fed.gov and not the other way around.
Legally, yes, you can "order" your congressman to begin filing the articles of impeachment. Granted hes gonna tell you to get 500,000 signatures or some s--t. . . you could do it.

Yes we are the red headed step children of a corrupt and otherwise single minded government whose sole purpose is to restrict and redistribute. . . . I still wont ask for permission for much of anything.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
stre-tch

Post by stre-tch »

Found a FF Tube that uses a steel barrel nut but only has an ID of 1.75" (Problem is it is off center at .825" from the bottom and .925" from the top) and my can is 1.625" and should be .8125" from top and bottom.

I don't know if the size will work. what do you think?
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

I wouldn't. look for a better one....
stre-tch

Post by stre-tch »

How would I blind pin and weld an aluminum barrel nut and aluminum handguard to a steel barrel (i.e. how deep can I drill into the barrel) or would just going through the treads on the receiver be enough?
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

I would think into the threads, with a small set screw.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

nice shot wrote:I would think into the threads, with a small set screw.
ATF says PIN and weld, they have rejected set screws in the past.
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

Silver solder may also be a viable option considering the different materials. Would you be looking to run a pistol barrel with removable suppressor under the hand guards?
07/02 behind enemy lines
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Grounded wrote:Silver solder may also be a viable option considering the different materials. Would you be looking to run a pistol barrel with removable suppressor under the hand guards?
Silver solder from Al to Steel doesn't create the permanent bond per ATF.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Time for the screamingly obvious... why not spend $200 and have a REAL short barreled rifle? One that you can maintain, swap barrels, look good to boot? :mrgreen:

Failing that... blind pin the hand guard in some manner.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

wacki wrote:
If you write the ATF they often issue a more restictive Ruling and each Ruling further erodes our 2nd Amd Rights.
IF you MUST write, ALWAYS ask if any prior rulings apply to your ? and SPECIFY that you are not asking for a NEW RULING, just if any prior rulings are relevant.
Executive Agencies routinely create new laws by issuing Administrative Rulings and Memos of Understanding to create new Regulations. This often overrides Congressional Statutes. Essentially Gov't Agencies use Despotic "Procedures" to negate Congressional Laws. Our Gov't system only offers the Illusion of Democracy. In fact, we are debt slaves ruled by Gov't Councils using the Corporations to manage us. This is textbook Communist Theory. Only the use of a demand based economy instead of command based differentiate Capitalist from Communist States. The very word "Soviet" means council. Read "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand to learn why councils never accomplish anything meaningful. Only a strong leader (Fuhrer Princip) affects needed change.
Just be sure that it's an Enlightened Benevolent Dictator. Otherwise it's Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Musilini, FDR.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314