jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

User avatar
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1830
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: CA

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by LavaRed » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Bendersquint wrote:
Nuclear wrote:Not that I think Jesse James is a genius, but the engineer in me says wait until you have an actual example of the suppressor in your hands and test it before you slam it.

Not only is it good manners, but every now and then it keeps egg off your face.

Especially if someone has posted misinformation to throw off competitors.
There have been cans of similar baffle designs in the past and they all were terrible. Engineer or not its a bad design, the point of a silencer is to contain and slowly release the gases once cooled. Jesse is putting car muffler and manifold technologies into a firearm silencer. It doesn't work.

His shop should be called "Pimp my Gat".
Pretty much. Even I have tried baffles of that design before, and they were not very effective at all.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION

Fulmen
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1045
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 am

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by Fulmen » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:48 am

Nuclear wrote:Not that I think Jesse James is a genius, but the engineer in me says wait until you have an actual example of the suppressor in your hands and test it before you slam it.
As a general rule I'd agree, but sometimes the claims are too improbable to buy without third-party confirmation. I haven't tested this can, but I've tried several designs that used parts of this one. None of them performed well, and based on my current understanding of the physics there were no reason to expect anything else. Maybe he's found a narrow sweet spot that actually works, but unless it was by dumb luck I can't even fathom why he would start down that path.

Besides, just look at the other players in the field and the products they make. Now look at what sort of bikes JJ and WCC usually makes. You can buy 20 year old production bikes that will outperform those pig-iron hogs in every aspect except the ability to make you look like a poser with more money than sense.

These guys aren't the ones who are going to revolutionize anything.

User avatar
gunny50
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:11 am
Location: EU

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by gunny50 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Grounded wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: I do look forward to reading Grounded's patent which if it is pending he should share it with us.
Which office funded you to design the silencer? I know that it isn't classified so it can be shared.....what is the office code?
Funding was provided through MARCORSYSCOM and I am currently entering the commercialization phase so its not classified work. I have a provisional patent for the utility and a patent app for the design that is further along. Bare with me here I know people make some crazy claims when it comes to suppressors. I am only relaying the info that i've acquired from my testing and I assure you I'm not making any of this up as hard as it may be to take at face value.
Grounded any updates?
Tried to read all posts back between now and than but could not find any updates.

Gunny

Toxarch
Silent Operator
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 1:43 am

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by Toxarch » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Image
Click the pic for a larger image.

I really don't think Jesse James knows what he's doing. A friend sent that to me and said Jesse James put that out as the new gun JJFU is selling. It looks to me like it's either a pistol with an illegal fore grip installed, or an SBR with a pistol brace installed. Either way, it's wrong.

User avatar
Dan
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 11:25 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by Dan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Toxarch wrote:Image
Click the pic for a larger image.

I really don't think Jesse James knows what he's doing. A friend sent that to me and said Jesse James put that out as the new gun JJFU is selling. It looks to me like it's either a pistol with an illegal fore grip installed, or an SBR with a pistol brace installed. Either way, it's wrong.
might have a "silencer part" on there too. hard to tell from the pic. Everything with a cheater arm brace that I have seen was a title 1 pistol. If this is a c2 prototype NFA gun then why bother with the brace.

I do like the skeletonized look though. It would be better without the forward assist.

Grounded
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:44 am
Location: US of A

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by Grounded » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:32 pm

gunny50 wrote:
Grounded wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: I do look forward to reading Grounded's patent which if it is pending he should share it with us.
Which office funded you to design the silencer? I know that it isn't classified so it can be shared.....what is the office code?
Funding was provided through MARCORSYSCOM and I am currently entering the commercialization phase so its not classified work. I have a provisional patent for the utility and a patent app for the design that is further along. Bare with me here I know people make some crazy claims when it comes to suppressors. I am only relaying the info that i've acquired from my testing and I assure you I'm not making any of this up as hard as it may be to take at face value.
Grounded any updates?
Tried to read all posts back between now and than but could not find any updates.

Gunny
Working on some bigger caliber stuff and other dealings I can't discuss yet.
07/02 behind enemy lines

User avatar
morpheus
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by morpheus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:04 am

Can't wait to see what you are working on grounded. Competition is a good thing. It keeps the big name players on their toes. I hope your product out shines all of them. That way they too will get back to the drawing board and work on getting us better stuff as well. I have AAC, AWC, SWR products and just ordered a SilencerCo SpecWar 7.62 for my Rem 700 5R 300 Win Mag.

.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:06 am

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by .300WinMag » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:01 pm

I have a different viewpoint. I find it absolutely laughable that a man who popularized the phrase 'Cake Decorator' when describing other bike builders that merely hung superfluous crap off a bike checks in with the absolute dogsh*t he has put out.

"Skeletonized" - cool beans dude… you've got a CNC machine, a lot of metal working skills, and time on your hands; well - this ain't that. Real guns…not Cake Decorator bullshit…are based on practical attributes dictated by those that run them in the most efficient manner under the widest variety of circumstances; and rule number one is they must run and be functional any time / all the time. One look at those and I see the driving impetus is about form, not function.

Somehow I think KAC, Colt, FN, Accuracy International, etc rest easy with knowledge that Ol' JJ is the game.

Maybe he can team up with the clowns at RedStar and make an epic steaming pile of 'ain't nevah been done be4'

Deathray
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:20 pm

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by Deathray » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:51 am

.300WinMag wrote: Maybe he can team up with the clowns at RedStar and make an epic steaming pile of 'ain't nevah been done be4'
He already did and turned a perfectly good BAR into a cross between mall ninja porn and a lowrider from the barrio.

BearTHIS
Silent Operator
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by BearTHIS » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:30 pm

Dan wrote:
Toxarch wrote:Image
Click the pic for a larger image.

I really don't think Jesse James knows what he's doing. A friend sent that to me and said Jesse James put that out as the new gun JJFU is selling. It looks to me like it's either a pistol with an illegal fore grip installed, or an SBR with a pistol brace installed. Either way, it's wrong.
might have a "silencer part" on there too. hard to tell from the pic. Everything with a cheater arm brace that I have seen was a title 1 pistol. If this is a c2 prototype NFA gun then why bother with the brace.

I do like the skeletonized look though. It would be better without the forward assist.
No way to tell how long the gun/barrel are what configuration the receiver was manufactured as but it is possible no laws are being broken if the OAL is >26". It wouldn't be a pistol due to the vertical grip but it wouldn't be an AOW due to OAL (unless as the ATF says it was actually being concealed by a person). Again hard to know certain things just from the picture but it is possible that it's simply a title 1 "firearm" in that configuration.

Regardless of all that, I fully agree with "Either way, it's wrong" !!!

a_canadian
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by a_canadian » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:44 pm

BearTHIS wrote: Regardless of all that, I fully agree with "Either way, it's wrong" !!!
Well yeah. It looks almost like a Meccano construct. A toy. Guess it works for some folks, but wow, fugly ain't the half of it. Much like his bulged suppressor, which still gives me a chuckle every time this thread pops up and I give it another look.

swapmeet
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by swapmeet » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:20 am

I'm interested to hear what ya'll think about this. What bothers me is the claim that its not subsonic ammo.

http://buttpee.tumblr.com/post/95846098 ... i-told-him

In case anyone is confused, this is one of JJ's blogs. He posted the same video on FB etc etc.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by Bendersquint » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:55 pm

swapmeet wrote:I'm interested to hear what ya'll think about this. What bothers me is the claim that its not subsonic ammo.

http://buttpee.tumblr.com/post/95846098 ... i-told-him

In case anyone is confused, this is one of JJ's blogs. He posted the same video on FB etc etc.
Sounds like supersonic ammo to me.

a_canadian
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by a_canadian » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:03 pm

Yeah, that's just a super-crappy mic on the camera, making the shots sound compressed. The crack is definitely there. A proper demo would involve at least one other can shot on the same host, something well known, to establish a point of comparison when using that camera.

swapmeet
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by swapmeet » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:09 pm

a_canadian wrote:Yeah, that's just a super-crappy mic on the camera, making the shots sound compressed. The crack is definitely there. A proper demo would involve at least one other can shot on the same host, something well known, to establish a point of comparison when using that camera.
LOL "a proper demo"

I guarantee you that's off his cell phone, cause he posted it to Instgram. You guys crack me up with "needs to use a good mic" and "point of comparison."

He doesn't have to prove his product is better. People want stuff he's made. Thats why the motorcycles he does build cost so much, same with his rifles, 1911's etc. The pricing is high end, and he's able to create demand with only his name and reputation. He's marketing to the well heeled 'collector' community. Guys who make $200k/ year and up.

Nobody takes advantage of marketing via social media more than JJFU. "JesseJamesFirearms" has 83k followers on Instagram. So if he posts something right now, easily 40-50k people see it instantly on their phones. Not to mention FB, Twitter, and Tumblr.

Remember, he's not trying turn the industry on its ear with new technology or ground breaking performance, he's just trying to make money and have fun doing it.

Here is some more marketing fun.
http://instagram.com/p/sLHonJoCbD/

Here is some technical data that he posted on IG. I apologize if this has been posted already.
So putting the #JJFU Aero-Sonic suppressor through the paces today. I did two rapid fire sessions with 500 rounds each. Ammo was just cheapo Cabellas .223. Suppressor is Dry with No packing. Sound Data was collected form 30" Away( shooters perspective) with a Digital Decibel meter . Low 81.034 Decibels High 89.013 Decibels Average for 1000 rounds was 84.619 Decibels My assessment is that it seemed to get quieter the more rounds that went through it. I would imagine this was because of the metal heating up and making the the tolerances tighter. Thus making it more efficient in controlling the muzzle pressure. I sighted the gun in before I started shooting and I did not see any drop from 150 yards. I held a nice grouping and was really able to put rounds wherever I wanted. The cons are we still are having some leaking issues on the mating surfaces. They have gotten better, but we are still not perfect yet. Leaking means Noise. So the better I get it to seal up, the quieter it will be. I think if we can get it consistent around 80 decibels and sealed up. This little fucker is going to be super quiet wet and with some packing. Also fully Field servicable so it will last forever. #jessejames #madeintexas
I guess it doesn't mean anything without knowing what the dB is unsuppressed. 84db can't be an accurate number.
Last edited by swapmeet on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a_canadian
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by a_canadian » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:19 pm

Sorry, guess I'm out of the loop. Don't watch TV. Seems from this thread the guy is something of a celebrity. Wasted on me. I'm just saying a side by side comparison might be helpful. The swapmeet response seems to favour just keeping on with disinformation... Oh well, maybe I'll never understand Americas.

Looking at the quoted nonsense it's obvious he was using a cheap and slow meter. No can on that host is going to deliver under 110dB, probably more like 120dB.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by Bendersquint » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:46 pm

The AR15 action alone is 117dB when tested to military and industry standards.

84 dB from an AR15 is physically impossible!

They are getting the reading because they are using a crappy dB meter without the rise needed to capture the PEAK of the gunshot so they are actually recording the very end of the report.

swapmeet
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by swapmeet » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:12 pm

a_canadian wrote: Looking at the quoted nonsense it's obvious he was using a cheap and slow meter. No can on that host is going to deliver under 110dB, probably more like 120dB.
I completely agree with this. 120 is pretty optimistic IMO...

User avatar
Tuukka
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:23 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by Tuukka » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:59 am

With a DI operated 5.56 mm AR15, you are usually looking at the following suppressed SPLs ( depending on the barrel length )

1 m left of the muzzle, c. 133-140 dB
Shooters left ear, 128-135 dB
Shooters right ear, 141-145 dB

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors
Ase Utra sound suppressors / www.aseutra.fi

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by Bendersquint » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:05 am

Tuukka wrote:With a DI operated 5.56 mm AR15, you are usually looking at the following suppressed SPLs ( depending on the barrel length )

1 m left of the muzzle, c. 133-140 dB
Shooters left ear, 128-135 dB
Shooters right ear, 141-145 dB

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors
Thanks for posting accurate numbers Tuuka!

With the amount of money that Jesse James has you would think he would get appropriate sound testing equipment.

User avatar
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 9:54 pm
Location: 66048

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by RPM509 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:55 am

In all likelihood, Jesse James is probably funding and designing the 'shell' and has no interest or knowledge of the internal workings of any of the products they are making now. Jesse is the packaging and exterior designing only, with his signature on it to give it 'street cred' (yes, I know that is stupid).
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome

bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:44 am

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by bitfi3nd » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:00 pm

swapmeet wrote: He doesn't have to prove his product is better. People want stuff he's made. Thats why the motorcycles he does build cost so much, same with his rifles, 1911's etc. The pricing is high end, and he's able to create demand with only his name and reputation. He's marketing to the well heeled 'collector' community. Guys who make $200k/ year and up.
Do you think stamp collectors are po' folks? :lol:

He's marketing to the dolt who has no taste or idea what he's buying community, not the well-heeled 'collector' community.
He's a flatbill dumbass that wandered *way* out of his area of expertise.

Kramer
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:13 pm
Location: nePA

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by Kramer » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:42 am

Bendersquint wrote:The AR15 action alone is 117dB when tested to military and industry standards.

84 dB from an AR15 is physically impossible!
So the bolt closing on an AR15 is 117db? Interesting info to keep in mind when hearing db numbers.

User avatar
Conqueror
Elite Member
Posts: 4808
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: RTP, NC

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by Conqueror » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:43 pm

Surprised I'm the first to point this out, but anyone valuing his face and/or testicles would do well to stand far away when Jesse starts shooting a centerfire rifle suppressor "wet and with some packing."

How has this thread reached 6 pages? Anyone posting 80dB numbers for a 5.56 can clearly does not understand silencers in the slightest.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]

a_canadian
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by a_canadian » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Conqueror wrote:How has this thread reached 6 pages? Anyone posting 80dB numbers for a 5.56 can clearly does not understand silencers in the slightest.
Because it's friggin' hilarious maybe? A long-running joke in bad taste, which started with a great punch line in that design for a Buck Rogers style moped muffler... er, rifle can.

Post Reply