Any Known Cases Of A Suppressor Damaging A Firearm?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

HK45
Silent Operator

Any Known Cases Of A Suppressor Damaging A Firearm?

Post by HK45 »

Does anyone know of any documented or known cases of a firearm, especially a pistol, being damaged due to suppressor use?
I'm NOT asking if a suppressor will damage a firearm or what are the chances, but looking for cases of where it's actually happened.

That is using a properly fitted and designed suppressor, on the correct caliber and with SAAMI spec'd ammo.

I've read some interesting threads recently about warranty issues with suppressors and using threaded aftermarket barrels
on pistols not intended for suppressors, as opposed to factory produced "tactical" models that come from the factory with threaded barrels.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Re: Any Known Cases Of A Suppressor Damaging A Firearm?

Post by samson7x »

Fireman may be along shortly but he had an HK pistol that was damaged due to suppressor use. I believe it caused the recoil spring/guide rod assembly to wear so much that it locked the gun up and he sent it in for warranty work (which they did not cover because it was an "unapproved" suppressor.)

Fireman, correct me if I'm wrong...
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

I know that H&K will only warranty their Tactical and MK23 pistols with KAC & B&T cans.

This is due to some guns being damaged by an AWC suppressor whose name I can't recall and is no longer in production.

The MK23 and the USP Tactical have different muzzle threads because they require different boosters. This is not only to improve function, but also to prevent damage to the gun.

I remember an article in an old issue of Machine Gun News from when these guns came out. There were pics of a weapon with a broken slide from using the wrong booster.

I don't believe that this is much of a concern any more. Have a KAC suppressor on my USP Tactical. I've shot it thousands of rounds with no issues or abnormal wear.

I am probably going to buy a TiRant or SWR can for the gun this year. I'm not the least bit concerned that using a different suppressor will harm my gun.

ETA: Given a quality aftermarket barrel and suppressor, I doubt very much that you would ever have an issue. However, if you did, good luck getting warranty coverage on a pistol after replacing a major component like a barrel.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Many cases have been documented over the years.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Seen several p22's break slides probably more of a cheap pot metal issues than silencer related issue.
HK45
Silent Operator

Post by HK45 »

renegade wrote:Many cases have been documented over the years.
Can you cite a few of them? At least what kinds of firearms were they?
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

HK45 wrote:
I am pretty sure AAC said they broke more HKs than any other host.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

HK45 wrote:
Search this forum and nfatalk. Many pics of broken Walther p22s. It's why everyone goes sig, browning or ruger for .22lr.

Nfareview Facebook page has pics of firemans broken HK.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I will see if I still have pictures of the damaged threads from one of my pistols years ago from using a can on it.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

DEAD Walther P22
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=48836

The Walther should come with a face mask.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90486

P22 Slide Broke today (UPDATE)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17047

but I don't think this is just suppressor related:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthr ... 363&page=4
HK45
Silent Operator

Post by HK45 »

Thank you, wacki. Luckily all my suppressed pistols are HK's.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

HK45 wrote:Thank you, wacki. Luckily all my suppressed pistols are HK's.
Thats not a "luckily" scenario, there have been damaged HK's. I have seen USP's with damage and the saddest of all a MK23 that had damage.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Broke HK. Both links are worth reading / watching to completion.

https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchann ... 2695922471

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1sQmGg23M

Anyone know what companies are good with suppressors? Sig? FN? Do I need to buy stiffer springs?
rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjacobs »

wacki wrote:Anyone know what companies are good with suppressors?
I dont know if you will find a company that is "better" than any others when it comes to putting cans on pistols.

Changing recoil springs more often and inspecting the gun more often is about the only thing you can do.

Fireman's gun may have been saved if he had done both things. I think HK said his recoil spring was shot which was possibly why the gun beat itself up and caused the area where the barrel and recoil spring assembly come lock together to peen itself over and thus causing the gun to lock up and break some things. I am going by memory on that though so hopefully he chimes in. If he had changed the recoil spring more often and inspected those area's for sign of peening, he may have caught the issue and headed it off, I dont know.

I do know on my HK45C that I run 100% suppressed, I am inspecting those area's that were an issue on his gun, although I believe it was stated the HK45 series was modified and might not have the same issue the USP series can have in this regard.
HK45
Silent Operator

Post by HK45 »

Bendersquint wrote:
HK45 wrote:Thank you, wacki. Luckily all my suppressed pistols are HK's.
Thats not a "luckily" scenario, there have been damaged HK's. I have seen USP's with damage and the saddest of all a MK23 that had damage.
Do you happen to know about how many suppressed rounds it took to damage those HK pistols?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

HK45 wrote:...
Do you happen to know about how many suppressed rounds it took to damage those HK pistols?
You know I thought that was a good question until I found the video and the facebook page mention both the approximate round count before failure and a recommended count at which to change the springs.

ETA: kudos to fireman for documenting and sharing his experience instead of sweeping it under the rug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Many guns have had their barrel threads damaged by using cans with Nielsen devices without a fixed barrel spacer.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
DarkPhoenix
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DarkPhoenix »

Can silencer and gun manufacturers work together to R&D new designs? Win win for everyone, great guns that will perform as advertised. Just a thought...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

DarkPhoenix wrote:Can silencer and gun manufacturers work together to R&D new designs? Win win for everyone, great guns that will perform as advertised. Just a thought...
I know most silencer manufacturers WOULD work with the firearms companies but firearms companies don't usually like working with silencer manufacturers.

They team up on ocassion but doesn't happen often at all, its pretty rare actually.

Its easier for a firearms manufacturer to try and make their own cans than to work with a company that knows what they are doing with silencers.

Perfect example.......Sig.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I damaged my Browning HP barrel. Made a light weight can without a booster and used a heavy subonic load along with a cut down 8 pound spring to ensure it cycled.

See pics in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=82912&p=756930&hil ... ng#p756930

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

rjacobs wrote:
I dont know if you will find a company that is "better" than any others when it comes to putting cans on pistols.

Changing recoil springs more often and inspecting the gun more often is about the only thing you can do.

Fireman's gun may have been saved if he had done both things. I think HK said his recoil spring was shot which was possibly why the gun beat itself up and caused the area where the barrel and recoil spring assembly come lock together to peen itself over and thus causing the gun to lock up and break some things. I am going by memory on that though so hopefully he chimes in. If he had changed the recoil spring more often and inspected those area's for sign of peening, he may have caught the issue and headed it off, I dont know.

I do know on my HK45C that I run 100% suppressed, I am inspecting those area's that were an issue on his gun, although I believe it was stated the HK45 series was modified and might not have the same issue the USP series can have in this regard.

Standard P226 spring is 15 lbs. Any idea what's the standard measuring technique? 15 pounds to rack the slide???!?!??! When do I replace? At 12 lbs? I might just go with the 2-3K rule fireman was told but it's always nice to have a test.

Is it a good idea to get stronger springs?

Also, any idea what parts I should pay extra careful attention to? Sig doesn't have that fishhook on the end of the guide rod.

List of all sig springs
http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20P ... ID4/dID254
oldcoot
Silent But Deadly

Post by oldcoot »

Tag
Arma tuentur pacem
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:
rjacobs wrote:

Standard P226 spring is 15 lbs. Any idea what's the standard measuring technique? 15 pounds to rack the slide???!?!??! When do I replace? At 12 lbs? I might just go with the 2-3K rule fireman was told but it's always nice to have a test.

Is it a good idea to get stronger springs?

Also, any idea what parts I should pay extra careful attention to? Sig doesn't have that fishhook on the end of the guide rod.

List of all sig springs
http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20P ... ID4/dID254
I have gone 14K with my Sig P226 and never replaced the spring. I have replaced the barrel but nothing else.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

wacki wrote:... Any idea what's the standard ...
Google can easily answer your questions about spring testing.

Sig should answer your questions about spring maintenance since they are the ones who are providing the warranty. I don't think Sig will think much of "Billy on the interwebs told me it was OK to use a X lb spring" or replace it every million rounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

doubloon wrote: Google can easily answer your questions about spring testing.
Got it. Thanks!

http://pistolsmith.com/workshop/23204-s ... asure.html

doubloon wrote:Sig should answer your questions about spring maintenance since they are the ones who are providing the warranty. I don't think Sig will think much of "Billy on the interwebs told me it was OK to use a X lb spring" or replace it every million rounds.
I'll call them up and report back. Thanks!